PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Start?!

Pages : [1] 2

Tony C
09-14-2015, 05:15 PM
I am new to detailing and I just got a used Griot's Garage 6" Gen1 DA. I have read that it has some limitations, but it is still a good place to start for a novice. So, my question to those of you out there with experience is, "where do I start?" As for background, I've used Wolfgang products and like them very much (especially Fuzion). I will initially work on my wife's 2008 Pontiac Vibe with some minor swirls and scratches. This would be my first time using a machine, which I just learned can't be fitted with a 5.5" plate, so I will be working with a 6.5" pad.

1) Am I smarter to start with some less expensive products for swirl removal (or other) and try out different pads? GG pads or LC?

2) Griot's Garage has some All in One products that could give me something to work with. Or should I try multiple stage approach to work on technique.

3) Final question: what are the drawbacks of working with 6.5" pad, and how do you get around common problems associated with this?

Thanks for your feedback. I have not ordered pads or product yet, so I look forward to feedback and advice to help me make some decisions this week while I am on business travel and can't do anything anyway.

banzaitoyota
09-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Find someone with a paint gage and measure your paint.

Be realistic in your expectations

Do test spots.

Do paraphrase Mike, pick what you can afford and use it often.

banzaitoyota
09-14-2015, 05:52 PM
I would.get a 5" backing plate and use smaller.pads

Souldetailer
09-14-2015, 05:55 PM
I am new to detailing and I just got a used Griot's Garage 6" Gen1 DA. I have read that it has some limitations, but it is still a good place to start for a novice. So, my question to those of you out there with experience is, "where do I start?" As for background, I've used Wolfgang products and like them very much (especially Fuzion). I will initially work on my wife's 2008 Pontiac Vibe with some minor swirls and scratches. This would be my first time using a machine, which I just learned can't be fitted with a 5.5" plate, so I will be working with a 6.5" pad.

1) Am I smarter to start with some less expensive products for swirl removal (or other) and try out different pads? GG pads or LC?
2) Griot's Garage has some All in One products that could give me something to work with. Or should I try multiple stage approach to work on technique.

3) Final question: what are the drawbacks of working with 6.5" pad, and how do you get around common problems associated with this?

Thanks for your feedback. I have not ordered pads or product yet, so I look forward to feedback and advice to help me make some decisions this week while I am on business travel and can't do anything anyway.

Hey Tony,

Go with the 5.5" pads and backing plate. This is the way to go.
I personally like the LC flat pads. Great all-around pad. Read more about what you think will suit you time and detailing. I personally like Menzerna. But there are many that kick butt products when applied correctly. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Tony C
09-14-2015, 06:05 PM
One of my issues is that this original GG 6" can only be outfitted with a 6" plate. That eliminates the 5.5" option. This Gen1 GG uses 4 screws to hold the plate. They've since changed it to the more standard single screw.

Tony C
09-14-2015, 06:07 PM
She has several marks that are right down to the primer. Knowing her, I'd say that she created them scraping snow off of the roof (and other spots). Done before I met her :)

Souldetailer
09-14-2015, 07:11 PM
She has several marks that are right down to the primer. Knowing her, I'd say that she created them scraping snow off of the roof (and other spots). Done before I met her :)

Well, you have what you have. Make it look great, that's all you can do. Good luck, and don't hesitate to call on us.

Peace,

Darrin

cardaddy
09-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Who says the Gen 1 GG6 can't be fitted with a 5", or a 3" backing plate for that matter? :dunno:

You can put ANY threaded backing plate on the GG6, period!

I'd get the 5" plate and AT LEAST a dozen 5½" pads. Get 4 orange, 4 white, 2 blue, 2 black to start with.

For ease of use, Menzerna FG400 with the orange pad OR white pad(s), followed by FF4000 with the white or blue pad(s) are a good place to start.

Two words: TEST SPOT
Do your test spot! Don't just think you'll go with an orange pad, heavy compound, and that'll work. Sure... it MIGHT correct everything, and then all you need to do is hit it with a polish and a finishing pad and you're done. But it MIGHT ALSO cut completely through your clear coat!

Always, ALWAYS use the LEAST AGRESSIVE METHOD to achieve your desired results. You can always go back and buff more, but you CAN NOT go back and put clear back on that you've removed.

That being said; You'll probably not totally destroy your clear coat with a GG6. Not saying it CAN'T be done, just that you'll have to be pretty lackadaisical to make that happen.

One idea to get the 5" backing plate would be to order the 5½" Meguiar's Microfiber Correction Kit. That kit contains a plate, 2 microfiber cutting pads, 2 microfiber finishing pads, a nice Meguiar's (non-clog) squeeze bottle of D300 as well as one of D301. Plus... it also has a Meguiar's detailing apron. :)

FWIW, D300 has become my favorite Megs compound every since it first came out!:dblthumb2:

Bottom line.... GET THE SMALLER PADS!
They will work better.
They are cheaper! (Which means you can buy more of them.) :)

Punch
09-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Who says the Gen 1 GG6 can't be fitted with a 5", or a 3" backing plate for that matter? :dunno:

I'd get the 5" plate and AT LEAST a dozen 5½" pads. Get 4 orange, 4 white, 2 blue, 2 black to start with.

For ease of use, Menzerna FG400 with the orange pad OR white pad(s), followed by FF4000 with the white or blue pad(s) are a good place to start.

Do your test spot! Don't just think you'll go with an orange pad, heavy compound, and that'll work. Sure... it MIGHT correct everything, and then all you need to do is hit it with a polish and a finishing pad and you're done. But it MIGHT ALSO cut completely through your clear coat!

Always, ALWAYS use the LEAST AGRESSIVE METHOD to achieve your desired results. You can always go back and buff more, but you CAN NOT go back and put clear back on that you've removed.

That being said; You'll probably not totally destroy your clear coat with a GG6. Not saying it CAN'T be done, just that you'll have to be pretty lackadaisical to make that happen.

One idea to get the 5" backing plate would be to order the 5½" Meguiar's Microfiber Correction Kit. That kit contains a plate, 2 microfiber cutting pads, 2 microfiber finishing pads, a nice Meguiar's (non-clog) squeeze bottle of D300 as well as one of D301. Plus... it also has a Meguiar's detailing apron. :)

FWIW, D300 has become my favorite Megs compound every since it first came out!:dblthumb2:

They will work better.

I agree with the meguiars microfiber correction kit it's a pretty good kit for starting out.. One thing I had to learned is know what your looking at damage wise. Understand the different defects. Me. Phillips wrote a good one here

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28443-difference-between-rotary-buffer-swirls-cobweb-swirls-micro-marring-da-haze-tick-marks.html

Tony C
09-15-2015, 07:13 AM

They will work better.

I was told that you can't use the smaller pad because of the limitation of the backing plate. The GEN 1 product holds the backing plate with 4 screws (not the industry standard single center screw). I spoke to GG customer service over the weekend and they confirmed that they did not offer this style backing plate any more.

Is there another way to attach the plate? Your recommendations were excellent and exactly what I was looking for. BUT, I might be stuck here with the larger 6.5" plate.

I'm concerned that most of my car can not be handled with this larger pad. Thanks for more feedback.

Tony C
09-15-2015, 07:31 AM
I am trying to attach a photo of the plate. You can see the 4 screws. This design limits the plates that you have mentioned, unless there is another way to attach them. Thanks again for the feedback.

Tony C
09-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Is there any reason that I could not modify a 5.5" plate to the 4-screw design???

conman1395
09-15-2015, 10:33 AM

They will work better.
Tony I think the Gen 1 is kind of like the Gen 1 GG3. The backing plate is not standard thread.

To the OP, I would have no hesitation in suggesti you spend the money at Harbor Freight and get their DA, but in regards to your questions about products I usually suggest to people that you get Buff and Shine pads (my preference) or LC and try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Compound. They're easy to work with and available OTC at a very fair price.

I have ever seen a Gen 1 in person but no matter what I wouldn't want to modify a backing plate. The opportunity for a malfunction of some sort while polishing is terrifying to me. It costs a lot less to get a HF DA than it would to repair damage like that.

Tony C
09-16-2015, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the advice on the pads and product. If you see my photo below, this GEN1 version isn't threaded. But, it's ok. I will work with what I have. I will just need to learn the limitations and 'dangers' of the 6.5" pads.

Tony C
09-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Tony I think the Gen 1 is kind of like the Gen 1 GG3. The backing plate is not standard thread.

To the OP, I would have no hesitation in suggesti you spend the money at Harbor Freight and get their DA, but in regards to your questions about products I usually suggest to people that you get Buff and Shine pads (my preference) or LC and try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Compound. They're easy to work with and available OTC at a very fair price.

Thank you for the feedback. I've already ordered the Meguiar's product. It makes sense for now. Hoping to do some work this weekend. :xyxthumbs: