PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Cleaning Tires

NacsMXer
09-14-2015, 03:52 PM
I had a heck of a time cleaning my tires today. The tires are Cooper RS3-S with only around 700 miles on them so far. I don't typically use tire dressing and the tires were relatively clean prior to washing them.

I was initially using a Mother's tire brush and some Black Magic Bleche Wite tire cleaner. But upon drying the tire I was left with horrible yellow/white streaks and brush marks. When dry, I noticed that you could rub the streaks with your finger or a dry microfiber and they would roll/pill off like dead skin cells. The residue shows up black on the microfiber and exposes clean black tire underneath.

So essentially I had to scrub and scrub the tires again until the residue stopped coming off. Afterward the tires looked normal again.

Is this some type of "tire blooming" since the rubber is still so new?

Here's a pic of the streaks/residue after the first washing:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2s13w5l.jpg

Nick McKees37
09-14-2015, 03:56 PM
I had a heck of a time cleaning my tires today. The tires are Cooper RS3-S with only around 700 miles on them so far. I don't typically use tire dressing and the tires were relatively clean prior to washing them.

I was initially using a Mother's tire brush and some Black Magic Bleche Wite tire cleaner. But upon drying the tire I was left with horrible yellow/white streaks and brush marks. When dry, I noticed that you could rub the streaks with your finger or a dry microfiber and they would roll/pill off like dead skin cells. The residue shows up black on the microfiber and exposes clean black tire underneath.

So essentially I had to scrub and scrub the tires again until the residue stopped coming off. Afterward the tires looked normal again.

Is this some type of "tire blooming" since the rubber is still so new?

Here's a pic of the streaks/residue after the first washing:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2s13w5l.jpg

It sounds like the mold release wax used in the manufacturing process is the culprit. Multiple cleanings over the course of the next 500-1000 miles should do the trick. Brush marks (only an issue with super soft compound) can be avoided by using a less aggressive brush or some type of microfiber applicator as your brush.

I would also suggest using a different tire cleaner, something like Mothers Back to Black Tire Renew, DP Tire Cleaner & Restorer or Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner. The wheels on your Mustang look expensive - I'd hate to see you damage them with what you're using now.

Mizzoutiger
09-14-2015, 04:14 PM
+1 for Tuf Shine TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit, tuf shine tire dressing, permanent tire shine, permanent tire sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-appearance-kit.html)

And Mike Phillips shows easy way to clean tires with Porter Cable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxO6u2xSbIo

NacsMXer
09-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the replies.

I typically use a soft sponge and some pH neutral shampoo to clean the tires as I never let them get that dirty. But when I saw the whitish residue appearing I figured I needed a stronger cleaner and brush. I did the final scrubbing with the Mother's brush and some dish soap and the tire came mostly clean after that.

I hope the issue disappears soon. I have heard good things about Tuf Shine, I think I will give that a try next! :xyxthumbs:

StangFan25
09-14-2015, 05:05 PM
I'll also suggest the Tuf Shine tire cleaner....great product.

SKorch630
09-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Mothers Back to Black I use solely on every vehicle I do with great results. Matte finish, not glossy, which is what I look for. I let the wheels do the shining :)

Bunky
09-14-2015, 08:06 PM
Mothers works well but I can also confirm the blooming subsides. I had Michelins on my MKZ and got a puncture in the sidewall on one so I ended up getting a new tire. I noticed it was blooming significantly on tire more than the tires that had many more miles. Once they had over 7500 miles it was significantly less.

Mantilgh
09-14-2015, 08:22 PM
I wonder how well this would work for new tires like this;

Stoner® XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner THE FASTEST WAY TO CLEAN DIFFICULT GRIME! Intense orange cleaner, stoner cleaner, all purpose cleaner, (http://www.autogeek.net/xenit.html)

Saw Mike P suggesting this for tough paint removal and noticed it is used for cleaning up molds for plastic and rubber.

Partial description:

Xenit is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refined extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
09-15-2015, 03:25 AM
I like Tuff Shine, but the Mothers product's some sort of voodoo magic. TS has a much longer dwell time, and I'd have to scrub scrub scrub and re-apply 4-5 times. Mothers? half the dwell time, wipe it off without a needing to scrub and maybe 3 applications. AND I don't have to rinse it with water. TS worked far far better than anything I'd used before. Mothers seems to work about as well as TS, with so much less effort.

silverfox
09-15-2015, 04:31 AM
Stoners tarminator is an excellent tire cleaner as well.