PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin sponge

Pages : [1] 2 3

bry28956
09-14-2015, 03:02 PM
Looking at getting the nanoskin clay sponge and some Optimum Rinseless to use as lube. Should i get the fine grade or medium grade sponge?

Souldetailer
09-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Looking at getting the nanoskin clay sponge and some Optimum Rinseless to use as lube. Should i get the fine grade or medium grade sponge?

Hey Bry,

I have and used the fine grade sponge. It works extremely well. Just remember to use a lot of lube. Your paint is no place to skimp on lube or anything. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Mike Moore
09-14-2015, 03:18 PM
The Nanoskin sponge (FINE GRADE) is a good place to start.
I personally prefer the towel. I use ONR "Clay Lube" dilution.

Be sure and "break it in" on your glass before using it on paint.

Jaretr1
09-14-2015, 03:22 PM
I have the optimum sponges, their version of the nanoskin sponge and I like them. Whatever brand you choose, start with the fine. I much prefer them over clay. I also prefer them over the towel, but thats a personal preference.

Souldetailer
09-14-2015, 03:26 PM

Be sure and "break it in" on your glass before using it on paint.

Affirmative on this. You can actually clean you window while you're at it. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

ski2
09-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Used ONR as lube for years but found UWW+ to be much "slicker" as a lube and also as a rinseless wash. With the Fine sponge and the UWW+ have not had any marring.

Mantilgh
09-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Dang it. This reminded me I should have tried out my new heavy grade Opti-Clay towel today before I compounded my roof. Didn't really need it though, but should have used it to check for marring.

I also use a EagleOne Surface Prep Mitt and it seems to be mild. It sometimes frustrates me on more contaminated vehicles because it is can be a bit slow at removing them.

If you are only doing your car and it is fairly new and well kept, you should be fine with the fine grade. Going to a more aggressive grade clay alternative will increase the risk of marring and may add the need to polish after.

tenblade2001
09-14-2015, 10:44 PM
anyone here use the DA disk?

Souldetailer
09-14-2015, 11:14 PM

Never used the disk. I would imagine it would work just a s well, if not better. Seems like it would be hard to get into the finer areas.

Peace,

Darrin

AutowerxDetailing
09-15-2015, 12:20 AM
The sponges work just as well as the mitt and towels, except the sponges fall apart way faster. The rubber delaminates from the foam and peels around the edges after several uses.

SKorch630
09-15-2015, 12:28 AM
I've never used one of these, and have been thinking about getting one, as I hate to use clay. My question is, is it the same as using lube for clay?

rcoops77
09-15-2015, 12:41 AM
Car pro make a version of this called
Polyshave wash mitt.

I had great success with this after chemical decontamination of the car. I used regular car wash with foam gun for lubrication. I definitely saved a heap of time on mechanical decon using this method.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-15-2015, 02:40 AM

I just ordered both 6" discs Sunday night. Looking forward to using them.

SKorch630
09-15-2015, 02:47 AM
Car pro make a version of this called
Polyshave wash mitt.

I had great success with this after chemical decontamination of the car. I used regular car wash with foam gun for lubrication. I definitely saved a heap of time on mechanical decon using this method.

I had a vehicle the other day that had so much road tar on it that it cost me an hour and a half just removing that. I'd like to find a faster way to decon all of that crap. Maybe this will help!

MDX Detailing
09-15-2015, 05:45 AM
I had a vehicle the other day that had so much road tar on it that it cost me an hour and a half just removing that. I'd like to find a faster way to decon all of that crap. Maybe this will help!

I would advise against using nanoskin for tar removal. The tar will not be cleaned off the nanoskin and will stay there. I believe the packaging even says to remove all tar before using.