PDA

View Full Version : Oil Extractor for Quick Oil Changes

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
09-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok, while in the air last week I browsed the skymall catalogue and saw the following item.

Supposedly there is a tube that goes into the dipstick tube and it extracts the oil...

Check out the link below and tell me the issues you foresee (if any) with this method

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/search.htm?query=OIL%20EXTRACTOR (http://www.skymall.com/shopping/search.htm?query=OIL%20EXTRACTOR)

sneek
09-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Mini guys have been using top sided oil changers for ages, The bimmer folds adopted it not too long ago as well.

Gary Sword
09-19-2007, 09:16 AM
If your have to get from your oil filter from under the car I don't see a big time savings. On some of the newer cars with a cartrige type filter you can get to from the engine bay it would saving you from jacking the car up to pull the plug. I still perfer to pull the oil drain plug and make sure I get all the old oil out.

gohandbz8
09-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I met a guy who has a bimmer and uses that thing to do his oil changes. Since the oil filter is located on the top of the engine bay, it's more convenient, and you don't run the risk of stripping your drain bolt. I plan to pick up one eventually.

MrBenz
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I've used one for years..especially helpful for lawn mower and snow blower oil changes. Of the four cars that I own it seems the 93 corolla may have a baffle in the way of the extractor tube that you place in the oil dipstick hole. I was hesitant at first...tried it on my small engines...then said what the heck it worked fine on those....i still check the oil drain plug to make sure it had not loosened up with engine vibration...go for it...

RacerE7773
12-15-2007, 10:31 PM
If your have to get from your oil filter from under the car I don't see a big time savings. On some of the newer cars with a cartrige type filter you can get to from the engine bay it would saving you from jacking the car up to pull the plug. I still perfer to pull the oil drain plug and make sure I get all the old oil out.
:iagree: But it does sound intriguing. I'll have to search for one in the stores.

RTexasF
12-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Those have been used on powerboats for decades with no ill effects. Mercruiser started putting an oil pan drain hose (goes through the transom drain plug hole) on all their engines several years ago. My thoughts are that they would not have spent the money unless there were benefits from draining as opposed to suction. I'll stick with the Fumoto drain valve myself.