PDA

View Full Version : New Car, need suggestions on removing contamination

InSoc
09-14-2015, 08:52 AM
I searched for some answers, but the amount of info is mind boggling and I just want to get a few opinions.

I recently purchased a 2015 VW GTI in Pure White, car only has around 3K miles and is garaged in the evenings and weekends but is my daily driver during the week. I wash it on a regular basis using Duragloss 901 with a Foam Cannon and Wash Mit and so on.

So after my last wash I noticed the roof and hood had a gritty feeling, after taking CG Microfiber Cloths over it, I could feel some snags. Not sure if this is contamination from the dealer, possibly sat under a tree? I do not park under trees.

So my next plan was to Clay the entire car after my next wash, I did this yesterday afternoon using Optimum No Rinse as a lube and a fresh clay bar, but was not successful in removing it. Which in the past was never an issue.

I also planned to apply Duragloss 601 & 105 which was my first attempt at using this combo, just did a couple sections on the car and afterwards the grit was still there. I could really feel it after taking a thin plastic bag and placing it over my fingers and going over the surface.

So I was thinking maybe I need to polish the surface to remove this contamination and this is where I got a ton of info from this site and elsewhere but am totally confused on the best approach.

I read Meguiars M105 or M205, can anyone recommend the best approach using one or the other and if it's the best direction?

I also do not yet have a Orbital Buffer/Polisher, so if there are any economical suggestions and pads to use or if I can do this by hand without issues, please let me know.

Thanks!

KBsToy
09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Wash
Iron X
Clay
polish
seal / wax

From a weekend detailer ..

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Lustrous Detail
09-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Wash
Iron X
Clay
polish
seal / wax

From a weekend detailer ..

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

I concur!

InSoc
09-14-2015, 02:16 PM
With the Iron X, I'm not seeing the typical iron deposits (orange spots) in the paint, could it be they are smaller than I can see?

hogie
09-14-2015, 02:36 PM
I used an Eagle 1 surface prep mitt this weekend on a neglected 10 year old Buick rendezvous. It removed horrible surface contamination very fast and was way more efficient than a standard clay bar decon.

Mike Moore
09-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Can you can feel contaminants in the paint after a wash?
This is easy to do...put your hand in a baggie and feel.

Wash, IronX, Rinse thoroughly and use a Nanoskin (FINE).
On certain paints you may need to actually use a clay bar.
This is rare. Usually, I just need to redo the Auto-Scrub.
This may need to be repeated until the paint is smooth.

Souldetailer
09-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Yes. Make sure paint is deconaminated. Like the others have said, very important. First, a chemical deconaminite
, then clay or Nanoskin to complete the job. A clean vehicle is the most important place to start. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

InSoc
09-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Can you can feel contaminants in the paint after a wash?
This is easy to do...put your hand in a baggie and feel.

Wash, IronX, Rinse thoroughly and use a Nanoskin (FINE).
On certain paints you may need to actually use a clay bar.
This is rare. Usually, I just need to redo the Auto-Scrub.
This may need to be repeated until the paint is smooth.

Yes, I put my hand in a plastic bag and ran it over the surface, feels very gritty, and yes and even after washing.

I do not have IronX but it appears to be recommended several times. I also do not have the Nanoskin, but I'll check it out.

Like I stated, I tried Clay Barring with ONR as a lube, saw some contamination in the clay, but it did not remove the issue on the hood or roof. Car has no other issues elsewhere.

Mike Moore
09-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Iron-X is chemical decon. I do this first and spread it with a wax sponge.
Nanoskin Auto-Scrub (FINE) w/Clay Lube is a mechanical decon method.

Be sure and "break in" the Auto-Scrub on your vehicles glass before use.

InSoc
09-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks I'll give that a try.

Would ONR work with the Nanoskin as a lube? I already have a spray bottle full with a mix of it.

Mike Moore
09-15-2015, 09:21 AM
I use ONR as a clay lube...be sure the mix ration (for clay lube) is correct.

InSoc
09-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Want to say thanks to all for the recommendations, I got a bottle of Iron X though expensive and smells awful, it worked. I did not see a ton of decon compared to the videos of the product being used on some cars, but I did see it pop out all over the car. Wish I could have left it on a little longer but it was very sunny here yesterday and it was drying too quick.

Plan on using the Nanoskin today and then reapplying the Duragloss Combo. Did do a test spot on the hood last night, noticed a big difference and much easier to use then the clay bar process.

Detailing by M
09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
you need to do an aggressive claying spot. if you can't remove it with clay then you might have concrete spray on it from a stucco installer. then you'll have to remove the concrete. Backset is what I use with great success.