PDA

View Full Version : Interior cleaning and dressing

Toro1966
09-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Hey guys - I think I am pretty much decided on getting some megs APC - especially since it's on sale :) to use as my interior/engine bay cleaner of choice. I am comfortable with the cleaning process - but what I am not sure about is what product to use to dress the interior surfaces after I am done cleaning it. For the leather I have been using Lexol for years with very good results. But for eveything else I have used all kinds of things - nothing really giving me what I want - which is protection with a new (satin/matte) look and NOT a shiny mess look. Can you guys recommend a good dressing for that?

Also - I have heard that a lot of the dressings have the ablity to be dilluted so that if I want to use it on tires and have them shine, I just dillute them less but can also be used on the interior for dressing just dilluted more. Does that make sense? Any product like that you could recommend? Would love to just buy one product and dillute as required depending on purpose.

Thanks as always - this forum is great - but it is costing me lots of money :)

PA DETAILER
09-12-2015, 10:18 AM
DP Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle’s interior. In addition to protectants, DP Interior Surface Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/dp380.html) :xyxthumbs: Been using for years with PERFECT results. And i like the fact it has a light cleaner in it. WIN/WIN.

If you looking for a dulitable product for tires etc...

Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-hyper-dressing.html)

Toro1966
09-12-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks. Does Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer clean AND protect? Or just clean? I ask because I actually love how that stuff cleans and it leaves a great clean and matte finish. But I am not sure whether or nto to trust it as a protectant.

MikeLW
09-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Thanks. Does Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer clean AND protect? Or just clean? I ask because I actually love how that stuff cleans and it leaves a great clean and matte finish. But I am not sure whether or nto to trust it as a protectant.

Meg's QID cleans and protects. That is what it does. It isn't a dressing in the typical sense as it pertains to this forum. It may have a light conditioner in it, as I would suspect it does, but I haven't checked.

Mantilgh
09-12-2015, 11:24 AM
QID does protect, though I'm not sure how long it lasts. Is also does not add shine.

Toro1966
09-12-2015, 12:17 PM
QID does protect, though I'm not sure how long it lasts. Is also does not add shine.

Thanks - that might be perfect then. I prefer no shine. I like it to look like it did when it arrived from the factory, clean - but not shiny. Thanks! Might have to order more of the stuff.

Mantilgh
09-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Ultima Interior Guard Plus is really nice if you are ordering something. Considered a interior sealent.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-4.html)

MikeLW
09-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks - that might be perfect then. I prefer no shine. I like it to look like it did when it arrived from the factory, clean - but not shiny. Thanks! Might have to order more of the stuff.

Meg's QID is a really great product. I always have some on hand. I think some detailers look past it, opting for an APC and come back over everything with a dressing. For newer interiors it gives that factory fresh OEM look alot of people are after. On a neglected interior that has some years behind it, QID cleans well, conditions and protects, but doesn't leave the surfaces with that like new luster that we all love. That is my experience with it.

11Silverado
09-12-2015, 03:27 PM
I apply Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant a couple of times a year after I give it a good cleaning with Meg's APC and wipe down the interior with Meg's QID weekly. This combo leaves my interior with a nice clean OEM look. I know you were looking for something more versatile, but this is a good combo for the finish you're looking for in my opinion.

Mantilgh
09-12-2015, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure there is product the same as what you are looking for like a dilutable interior/exterior matte finish protectorant, but maybe someone on here knows of one.

Most that are dilutable are the tire gel types and most leave a shine although it is less the more they are diluted, and most can be followed up with a damp wipe to reduce the amount of shine; but it makes me wonder how much product is being left behind then.

I have started using Meguiars M40 Vynal and Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner as my tire dressing and it leaves a nice low gloss look. I have not tried it, but it can also be used on interiors but recomends a wipe down for less shine. Only thing I don't like about it is the smell reminds me of ArmorAll.