PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Brooklyn, NYC

omgboost
09-10-2015, 02:44 PM
I moved to a house where I can finally wash my own car and detail it a couple months ago. I have a 2012 BMW X5 in Black Sapphire Metallic that I have been taking to those car washes they have here in the city where the guys scrub your car with a brush and then roll through the automatic car wash and finally is hand dried by two guys. It has accumulated a lot of swirls from that but it was better than having a filthy car and road salt from the winters so I continued doing that.

After I moved, I decided to learn how to polish cars from lurking on this site and watching YouTube videos, mainly the junkman2000 channel. I bought myself a DA polisher, m105, m205, orange/white/black pads, clay bars, clay luber, mothers wax and car shampoo (the one that smells like grape). After I felt comfortable with the detailing, I decided to wash the car, clay it down, and then polish it with m105, then m205 and then wax it. So far I am happy with the progress although I still have a few panels to finish and see some minor scratches in the paint. I will have to do those again. A lot of the swirls are gone. I also have some deep scratches and rock chips I need to fix with touch up paint and wet sanding and there are a couple of topics here that are very informative. I just need to find the time to get all this done. I pretty much only have Sundays available to do this and even then, Sunday is the day I have to clean the house and do laundry, etc. I'm hoping I can get this done before winter comes.

I don't have access to a garage so I'll need to plan on buying a canopy for my driveway so I can detail the car when the sun is out early in the day instead of waiting until late afternoon and by then I'll only have 2 hours or less of sunlight to work with.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Kamakaz1961
09-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Welcome to AGO and hope you have great success with your detailing. Staying on this site to keep informed will help!

Bill1234
09-10-2015, 08:10 PM
I moved to a house where I can finally wash my own car and detail it a couple months ago. I have a 2012 BMW X5 in Black Sapphire Metallic that I have been taking to those car washes they have here in the city where the guys scrub your car with a brush and then roll through the automatic car wash and finally is hand dried by two guys. It has accumulated a lot of swirls from that but it was better than having a filthy car and road salt from the winters so I continued doing that.

After I moved, I decided to learn how to polish cars from lurking on this site and watching YouTube videos, mainly the junkman2000 channel. I bought myself a DA polisher, m105, m205, orange/white/black pads, clay bars, clay luber, mothers wax and car shampoo (the one that smells like grape). After I felt comfortable with the detailing, I decided to wash the car, clay it down, and then polish it with m105, then m205 and then wax it. So far I am happy with the progress although I still have a few panels to finish and see some minor scratches in the paint. I will have to do those again. A lot of the swirls are gone. I also have some deep scratches and rock chips I need to fix with touch up paint and wet sanding and there are a couple of topics here that are very informative. I just need to find the time to get all this done. I pretty much only have Sundays available to do this and even then, Sunday is the day I have to clean the house and do laundry, etc. I'm hoping I can get this done before winter comes.

I don't have access to a garage so I'll need to plan on buying a canopy for my driveway so I can detail the car when the sun is out early in the day instead of waiting until late afternoon and by then I'll only have 2 hours or less of sunlight to work with.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Brooklyn! What neighborhood youse in

omgboost
09-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Brooklyn! What neighborhood youse in

Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights

Pats300zx
09-11-2015, 04:49 AM
Welcome !!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-11-2015, 05:32 AM
Welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Bill1234
09-11-2015, 07:23 AM

Same technically.

Highly recommend faiccos pork store on 11th Ave. Very good

runrun411
09-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Yeah baby, Brooklyn born and raised (Grew up in Crown Heights, lived in Clinton Hills/Fort Greene). No place on earth like it. Welcome to AGO.

Bill1234
09-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Yeah baby, Brooklyn born and raised (Grew up in Crown Heights, lived in Clinton Hills/Fort Greene). No place on earth like it. Welcome to AGO.

I love Brooklyn. There is definitely nothing like it imo. You both ever go to L and B ?

GS2011
09-11-2015, 08:03 AM
:welcome:

Paul A.
09-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Welcome omgboost and never apologize for a long post!

mikesal57
09-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Mmmmm...I can taste those Nathan franks and fries...yum

Old stomping grounds back in the 70's
Now in Staten Island

good luck

Mike

omgboost
09-11-2015, 11:59 AM
I love Brooklyn. There is definitely nothing like it imo. You both ever go to L and B ?

I've been there once. Too salty for my tastes.

omgboost
09-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Welcome omgboost and never apologize for a long post!

Thanks! One thing I do notice about this forum is that the members are very helpful. If something has been asked before, members have no problem answering it again. Other boards, you get flamed and chastised for not using the search button.