PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Absolutely Destroys Brand New Camaro

Dayonta675
09-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, I thought I'd share this with you.

A friend of mine bought a Camaro two months ago, he drives it 5 times a month so it's just shy of 2000 kilometers.

He asked me to detail it, and before we could start we spotted a few dozen defects of dirt and dust trapped underneath the clear. It was hard to see but once you saw them you could see them all. My paint gauge was reading retarded numbers so I advised against trying to fix them and honestly I wasn't going to sand his brand new car.

He ends up taking it to the dealer and viola. They destroy it, there's 800/1200 grit sand paper marks all over the car, swirls galore. We currently have a case open with GM about the defects and the dealer dropping the ball. Have a look, there's about 130 photos.

Postimage.org / CAMARO (http://postimg.org/gallery/16fhy7ql0/)

davey g-force
09-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Oh man... taking it back to the dealer was a bad move IMO.

*EDIT* to detail it, that is!

I'd be taking it back for a respray or a new car!

sshazam
09-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Oh man... taking it back to the dealer was a bad move IMO.

*EDIT* to detail it, that is!

I'd be taking it back for a respray or a new car!

Luckily you've taken a lot of photos. Hopefully your friends car gets fixed !

Dayonta675
09-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Since the car is still so new and after seeing what their body shop can do, we're refusing any paint job from them.

Here's some pictures before they butchered it.

Postimage.org / Before Dealer (http://postimg.org/gallery/30efc47ys/)

Scott_Plowman
09-13-2015, 05:12 PM
I had my car in at a dealers for fitting a new trim to my ss and told them I did not want a wash and wanted it noted on my record. I had the car fully detailed and opti-coat applied not long after getting it. They didn't wash it but the next time I had it in there they gave me a bonus "complimentary wash" as well as several new swirls. I cracked the shits with them and haven't been back since. I still nearly cry 12months later when they are still the only marks on it..

davey g-force
09-13-2015, 06:13 PM
^^ Make yourself a sign: "DO NOT WASH CAR" in big bold letters.

Leave it in your glovebox, and when the car is being serviced, dipay it prominently on your dash.

Works for me :)

AutowerxDetailing
09-13-2015, 06:36 PM
... we spotted a few dozen defects of dirt and dust trapped underneath the clear.

This is pretty much standard for all new GM vehicles I've seen as of late. Dust nibs galore. Sometimes the factory will fix a few... and leave uncorrected sanding marks. I don't know why they even bother... it would look better with a little tiny pinpoint sized "bump" compared to a 2" diameter, dull, sanding mark.

AbileneAutoWerx
09-13-2015, 07:04 PM
This is pretty much standard for all new GM vehicles I've seen as of late. Dust nibs galore. Sometimes the factory will fix a few... and leave uncorrected sanding marks. I don't know why they even bother... it would look better with a little tiny pinpoint sized "bump" compared to a 2" diameter, dull, sanding mark.

Exactly!!!!!!!! My new black Yukon had 4-5 pin sized spots on it that the QC in Arlington tried to correct resulting in dull sanded spots. Worse part is it didn't fix the speck from the dust particles. SMH. I'm sure my silver '15 Sierra has then to but at least I can't easily spot them. Dam black is a pain...should've known better.

FUNX650
09-13-2015, 09:33 PM
That's a shame your friend didn't heed your
advice against trying to "fix" the original
paint issues...and took his vehicle to the
Dealership anyway!

Oh well...
Hope he has good luck on getting
an acceptable respray, someday soon.

Bob

cardaddy
09-13-2015, 09:46 PM
You want to see quality control, from a "white glove" GM plant? This one came from Bowling Green, where they HAND BUILD your Corvette, and for thousands extra you can even come watch it go through the line, and for yet a couple thousand more you can even take Corvette Museum delivery.

This fubar actually had the base coat smeared BEFORE it was even cleared. Then if that wasn't enough, the spoiler was cleared. Then if THAT wasn't enough... the spoiler was installed on the bumper cover. AND IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH.... they then installed the ENTIRE MESS on the car and let it roll off the line!

Spent a week doing a correction and coating on this one back in the Spring when it was new. Needless to say the owner had no idea it was like that. Unfortunately.... the only way to fix it (correctly) is to remove the entire rear bumper cover! :eek:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2721/IMG_17281.JPG

I didn't open all of the photos, but from what I saw, it wasn't anything that couldn't have been fixed with some time and nothing more than a GG6. Also didn't get into checking out/finding all the nibs and orange peel. Although the orange peel isn't something that I'd think you're going to fix that easily with most of todays GM and Fords without some CAREFUL work and a lot of readings from your PTG.

It'd be a LOT easier if you uploaded them here to your free *unlimited* Autogeek hosting. Never have to worry about broken links, running out of space, or opening window after window, then having to close window after window of single photos every time you click on one.

Check it out here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/21295-how-upload-photo-into-your-autogeek-photo-gallery.html

BillE
09-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Just a comment in general...It seems from so much I've been reading lately (not just here, but 'in the news' also) it appears that Detroit is slipping back into the 1970's with some of the shoddy workmanship that put the hurt to them back then.

Bill

tdekany
09-15-2015, 01:08 AM
The 3 Camaros I have worked on were all is fantastic condition as far as quality control, and lots of paint as well.

Desertnate
09-15-2015, 07:39 AM
Just a comment in general...It seems from so much I've been reading lately (not just here, but 'in the news' also) it appears that Detroit is slipping back into the 1970's with some of the shoddy workmanship that put the hurt to them back then.

Bill

I noticed this at the auto show I attended last winter.

Each maker seemed to have their own problems. The Chrysler products seemed to have really poorly aligned body panels. GM seemed to have issues with interior bits not lining up and being flush with each other to include a radio head unit which was visibly crooked in it's bay. Several Ford cars and SUV's seemed to have issues with door gaskets and seals falling off/separating or not being designed properly. One particular Escape I looked at, the rear hatch weather strip was about 4~5" too long. Rather than cut it to the correct length and finish the job, they left the overlap flopping around which prevented the hatch from closing properly.

I wasn't the only one to see this either. It was obvious enough you could hear other people discussing it too.