PDA

View Full Version : BMW Jet Black- Sigh

Pages : [1] 2

big_c
09-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi all, I am new to detailing but have been reading up on the forums and appreciate all the knowledge I have gained.

So I have a 2007 BMW Z4 in Jet Black. Production date 03/07. As expected with any 8 year old car, it has pretty noticeable swirl marks in the sun and some light various clearcoat scratches around the car.

My goal is to improve the appearance in sunlight, doesn't need to be concours perfect, but I would like to not notice the swirls on a sunny day.

I've read all the forum posts on this paint and how hard it is to correct, and how easily it scratches. Some people recommended selling the car, setting it on fire, driving off a cliff, etc.

I'd like to get some feedback on my process/materials. I have done a couple panels so far and should finish up this week.

Initial thoughts: it takes absolutely forever with the DA polisher to remove the swirls. I'm spending about 60 seconds on a 12"x12" area to remove the marks and make it look good. Ive tried using the orange pad, slower speeds, and nothing removes the swirls except yellow/M105 and a very slow pace and moderate pressure.

Equipment- Harbor freight DA polisher with 5" backing plate

1. Wash car with dawn (2 bucket method, viking mitt)
2. Clay bar with meguiars kit
3. M105/5.5" LC Foam Yellow pad/DA set to 5-6
4. Remove M105 and repeat (Glass cleaner on microfiber towel)
5. Remove M105 and repeat. (Glass cleaner on microfiber towel)

I haven't gone past this step yet. I'll note here that so far, the M105 has finished very nicely and leaves almost no hazing or swirls. I reapply a few pea sized globs of the M105 once it stops looking wet.

6. M205 with black pad/DA set to 4
7. BF Wet diamond selant on red pad/DA set to 3

Thanks for any input or advice!! Hope this thread helps others with the same color paint. I've read that the menerza twins cut better than M105. Maybe a wool pad would have sped things up for me too. Oh well.

Zelfiris
09-09-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm interested to know why you use glass cleaner to remove compound residue. The popular choice is usually IPA. Do you think glass cleaner might be interfering with M105?

Do you find the paint to scratch easily when you wipe with a MF towel? Maybe your paint is just that hard and you need to polish an area longer to remove paint.

I have also read Harbor Freight DA is not a very powerful DA compared to GG6/PC

The results does look good though :)

big_c
09-09-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm interested to know why you use glass cleaner to remove compound residue. The popular choice is usually IPA. Do you think glass cleaner might be interfering with M105?

Do you find the paint to scratch easily when you wipe with a MF towel? Maybe your paint is just that hard and you need to polish an area longer to remove paint.

I have also read Harbor Freight DA is not a very powerful DA compared to GG6/PC

The results does look good though :)

Actually I haven't even used the glass cleaner yet, I was going to tonight at the recommendation of some forum posts to make the towel softer and less marring chance. I've just been using a new dry microfiber towel. I don't notice scratching too bad when removing the polish.

eaglefan
09-09-2015, 02:16 PM
I just did a jet black 3 series this weekend. Spent 18 hrs on it, inside and out. I tried 6 different test spots on the hood to get the most correction I could, no rotary. On this car what worked was Shine supply compound and buff and shine microfiber pad on the flex, followed by HD polish all on the Flex. The hood was swirled up bad, like your last picture. I tried a test spot with a surf buf pad but didn't see any difference, usually that is my sledgehammer to get it all out.
The BMW jet black shows everything, I don't know if it mars easier than a white one, I know you can see it way easier.
Use quality towels and products and you should be fine. If the wipe off is giving you problems get better towels or try some ONR to help.
I prefer the dark colors personally because my eyes have trouble seeing imperfections in white, 20 years of welding has got me.
Take your time and get the test spot down. Use different light sources to double check. Jet black is tough but its my favorite when done.
Good luck

Mike lambert
09-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Try the Meguiars da compound on a micro pad.

wdmaccord
09-09-2015, 06:52 PM
I did an e90 about a month ago. Used Menz PF2500 and white polishing pad on GG6. Did not get rid of the deeper rids but did remove the swirls and holograms from previous detailers. From what I read beforehand, the e92 (coupe) is the real pain.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-10-2015, 12:30 AM
I have a pair of Jet Black 3 series (07 e90 335i & 11 e91 328) and Menzerna handles them with ease. I am using the Flex 3401 coupled with the Hybrid pads.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

When you are ready to give it a go again pick up FG400 and SF4000.

KMG
09-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Jet Black paint on BMW's is quite soft and can be tricky to get perfect. The middle picture that is posted above has quite a bit of marring on it. I also have a black 3 series that I use as a DD. Honestly if you think 60 seconds is a lot of time when compounding your not doing it right. Proper paint correction is not a quick process and will take quite a bit of time if done properly. Be prepared to spend quite a few hours on the compounding step. I am going to be redoing my car here in the next few months probably and will be going over it with Optimum Hyper Polish.

big_c
09-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Alright guys, I finished it up.

Followed the same process as above and finished out with the 205 and a coat of Wet diamond (awesome stuff btw)

My yellow pad separated from the velcro backing for some reason, but other than that it went smoothly and I am happy with the results for it being my first time correcting and also being jet black.

I did find that I had to spend a lot of time on it to remove the swirls. I stayed with 12"x12" sections and did several section passes to get it acceptable. Moderate pressure, slow pace, and careful with the compound removal is the best advice.

Let me know what you guys think from the pics. I would say about 90% of defects and swirls removed. It looks really great in direct sunlight.

Like others mentioned would happen- even though its flawless after M205- any clean, newly washed microfiber towel will add very light scratches to the clearcoat. Proper washing is going to be most important on this paint. Sealant helped fill in the marring from the MF towels.

I did my wife's metallic white mazda. I found there is much less satisfaction from polishing a white car compared to black.

Thanks to all for the tips, cant wait to do it again next year!

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Alright guys, I finished it up.

Followed the same process as above and finished out with the 205 and a coat of Wet diamond (awesome stuff btw)

My yellow pad separated from the velcro backing for some reason, but other than that it went smoothly and I am happy with the results for it being my first time correcting and also being jet black.

I did find that I had to spend a lot of time on it to remove the swirls. I stayed with 12"x12" sections and did several section passes to get it acceptable. Moderate pressure, slow pace, and careful with the compound removal is the best advice.

Let me know what you guys think from the pics. I would say about 90% of defects and swirls removed. It looks really great in direct sunlight.

Like others mentioned would happen- even though its flawless after M205- any clean, newly washed microfiber towel will add very light scratches to the clearcoat. Proper washing is going to be most important on this paint. Sealant helped fill in the marring from the MF towels.

I did my wife's metallic white mazda. I found there is much less satisfaction from polishing a white car compared to black.

Thanks to all for the tips, cant wait to do it again next year!

Hey dude if your new to detailing you did a great job from what i can see good job dude

big_c
09-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Hey thanks a lot! Yeah was my first time with a DA but I took my time reading up on here. I hope this thread helps encourage other new people to try it out. I liked the M105 for its ability to cut nicely yet finishing down well, but its sure is a hassle to wipe off if it dries.

Everyone on the other threads says to get rid of the car because correcting is impossible- I didn't find that to be true at all. Just took a while and you have to be really careful and keep your expectations that it won't be 100% flawless...but 90% still looks great and to almost everyone it looks brand new.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-16-2015, 09:40 PM
And yes you are right i do not like doing white cars its so bland.

When you whipe off the polishing step nothing is more satisfying to see that rich black reflection

The Guz
09-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Nice job for your first time.

Hokie335i
09-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Besides having owned 2 Jet Black cars, 2003 330i ZHP and a 2007 335i coupe, and having detailed at least 4 other Jet Black BMW cars I've had great success with Menzerna FG400 with Hyrbid pads on my flex 3401 and on my GG6". I usually follow up with either Menzerna SF4000 or CarPro Reflect. I get amazing results with these combo's.

You can check out my insta linked below. The somewhat recent pics of the BMW 550i and my 335i are both Jet Black and recently were done with one of the above combo's. The other's I haven't photographed as I only get to take pics of 1/3 or 1/2 of my details because I'm not a photographer by any means haha

ssmith96
10-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I would recommend finishing with Menz SF4000.

Guarantee it will look a lot better. M205 doesn't finish down well on Jet Black.