PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressings vs. Tire Brands

CDot
09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Hello all,

I have a long-term review of a tire dressing I'm almost done with and I've noticed something interesting (that I'm sure the pros know about extensively): Tire dressings seem to behave differently on different brands of tire--sometimes drastically.

I've tried the dressing on 6-7 different tires (2 x Firestone, Goodyear, Falken, 2 x Nexen, and Michelin) and the longevity ranges from 1 to 4 weeks. Seems to me that Firestone-branded tires barely hold on to water-based dressing...has anyone else noticed this?

Desertnate
09-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I look forward to your results.

I've noticed similar results with the Turtle Wax Tire Coating. I have three vehicles in the family running three different brands of tires (1x Bridgestone, 1x Continental, 1x Pirelli) . I get three VERY different results when it comes to longevity.

From what I've experienced, the Continental tires might as well be Teflon coated. Nothing sticks to them.

FUNX650
09-09-2015, 10:34 AM
I, too, have noticed that not only different Brands...
but also different models within those tire Brands...
will have varied interactions with various Brands
and types of "tire dressings".

For awhile now:
The biggest majority of tire manufacturers
recommend to not use any type of tire
dressings on their tires.

Maybe some do formulate their tires'
compositions with "anti-dressings ingredients"...
perhaps in opposition to people not heeding their
recommendations...and/or trying to: head-off
any liability or warranty claims: at the pass.

Anxiously awaiting the results of your
tire-dressing testing.

Bob

Jaretr1
09-09-2015, 10:47 AM
I used to work for Goodyear, and for a while they advertised that their sidewalls were made with "permablack" rubber which stayed black and resisted fading and cracking during the operable life of the tire. My dad his have Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Tourings on his last car and it seemed that they stayed blacker and with a nice satin finish much longer than any tire I touched before.

So yes, different tires, even within different manufacturers use different rubber compounds, and definitely that might affect how they behave.

Bunky
09-09-2015, 10:59 AM
My Michelin LTX truck tires do not accept dressings very well.

PA DETAILER
09-09-2015, 11:00 AM
37088I have the firestone destinations A/T on my xterra. The blackfire tire/trim protection (water based) as been stellar on them. No issues. But i have read some tires have issues. More so with coatings. Some just peel off.

Mittenz
09-09-2015, 11:05 AM
I look forward to your results.

I've noticed similar results with the Turtle Wax Tire Coating. I have three vehicles in the family running three different brands of tires (1x Bridgestone, 1x Continental, 1x Pirelli) . I get three VERY different results when it comes to longevity.

From what I've experienced, the Continental tires might as well be Teflon coated. Nothing sticks to them.My Continentals. I love the very wet look. But the prep can be a bit of a PITA since it's a spray on. A major pain to get off the wheels!! I'm in search of another product that looks as wet and lasts as long.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=99559

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=99558

PurpleTowel
09-09-2015, 11:16 AM
All tires are different, right down to the ingredients they use in the rubber. Michelins give me electric shocks getting out of the car, because of the high carbon content. I would expect there to be friendlier coatings for different brands, but it is an interesting subject. I wonder what others have noticed on their tire brands.

For instance, Stoner's More Shine Less Time works great on the Continental DSWs on my wife's WRX. Great stuff and no fling, lasts a long time.

roguerobot
09-09-2015, 11:31 AM
another anecdote: VPR seems to last longer on Michelins than it does on Continental

eaglefan
09-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I have noticed on the cars I have done with Continental tires they do not seem to accept obi-bond very well. I have to break out my personal stash of PERL

Dereksdtail
09-09-2015, 01:42 PM
I like perl and hyper dressing because they seem to work on every tire I've worked on

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2015, 08:49 AM
I used to work for Goodyear, and for a while they advertised that their sidewalls were made with "permablack" rubber which stayed black and resisted fading and cracking during the operable life of the tire.

They must have been using a different type of anti-ozonant. Pretty interesting.

All tires are different, right down to the ingredients they use in the rubber.

Yup, that's why people get different results, as noted, from different models within the same brand, because the rubber is formulated for the specific application.