PDA

View Full Version : add sound proofing

sito
09-08-2015, 11:59 PM
does anyone know how to add sound proofing?

does anyone know anyone in Toronto can do this?

sshazam
09-09-2015, 12:07 AM
does anyone know how to add sound proofing?

does anyone know anyone in Toronto can do this?

Bit of a vague question but which area do you want to soundproof ?

sito
09-09-2015, 07:16 PM
I want to block out road noises.

MPBGT
09-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Dynamat is a good resource. There is also lizard skin spray sound deadener.

sito
09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Is there any shop that can do this job?

sito
09-09-2015, 09:07 PM
I live in Toronto area

sshazam
09-09-2015, 11:52 PM
I want to block out road noises.

You need to give more detail.

What year, what model car, where is the road noise coming from ? Have you tried better tires to eliminate tyre noise? Has the manufacturer used any sound deadening through the car?

My car has decent sound deadening in the doors from factory but barely any on the floor pan and trunk. So all I have to do is add it to the floor and trunk and it will be more quiet.

Have a look at a car specific forum for your car and see if theres any details provided.

Dynamat isn't that hard to work with but if you don't feel comfortable then google speaker installation places around you.

kevvyj
09-10-2015, 01:24 AM
I have done it.took me a full day.Toyota Tacoma.i got a Chilton's to figure out how to remove trim safely.Disconnected seatbelt sensors,pulled seats ( this was most time consuming ) , did the doors.i am not a professional . This was a very simple process.Pull the seats Friday night you will be done Saturday for sure.

rlmccarty2000
09-10-2015, 01:37 AM
It is a PITA but can be done. I used to install stereos many years back. You basically have to remove the seats, carpet, and door panels, then install a sound deadening mat in those areas. Someone mentioned Dynamat, it is a good one but there are cheaper mats that can do a very good job. Google sound proofing car and you will get many ideas. Be ready to put in some work. There are professionals that will do it for you. I don't know about Toronto area. The aftermarket stereo installation has dried up everywhere since carmakers have upgraded their sound systems. Gone are the days when you could buy a car without a radio and put your own in. But fear not it can be done and the results can be amazing. You can also put some material under your hood to deaden the sound of the engine. Putting it in the doors gives your car a nice thump, think German, when you close the doors. You could go all out and put it under the headliner, but that poses many problems and newbies should stay away from this. But if you have basic mechanical knowledge and perseverance you can get great results. Good luck!

drl2
09-14-2015, 08:03 PM
I was looking into this a year or so ago and found a mass of conflicting advice, much of which centered around loading the car down with multiple layers of dynamat-like product. Then I discovered a site called Sound Deadener Showdown, which goes into detail about the different sources of noise and the different materials best used to combat it, then provides lots of instruction and examples.

They recommend strategic placement of small amounts of the mat material to dampen vibrations, then mass loaded vynil as a noise absorber. Their methods came highly recommended to me by a guy on another forum who builds those massive car audio competition systems.