PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning car interior

sshazam
09-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Hello all,

I've bought a used 2012 Kia Optima (Sorry for all the threads) and the interior is a bit dirty. I've done a search and found a few recommended products but I don't know if they're right for my purpose.

I"m looking for a product to clean the leather seats to remove the oily armorall like product the dealer used, remove the few drops of paint on the seats (not a huge deal) and also protect/condition the seats especially the bolsters. I'm after a natural matte look. Like my rear seats have.

Theres white spots on the door trim, armrest and centre rest. The steering wheel has some white paint on it and the leather has peeled. Is there a good product to get rid of this and prevent it from happening?

There's some general dirt build up and dried sticky residue in one of the bottle holders.

I was thinking of using the Lexol value pack for the seats ,door trim and seals.
Lexol Value Pack - Now you can get Lexol Leather Cleaner, Lexol Leather Conditioner, and Lexol’s patented Vinylex together in one kit (http://www.autogeek.net/lexolkit.html)

Mothers back to black for the side mirrors and an APC for the sticky door residue/cleaning switches.

Would this be the right thing to use ? I'm open to suggestions especially about the paint. I've uploaded photos of the areas.

Postimage.org / gallery - IMG 0149, IMG 0150, IMG 0156, IMG 0159, IMG 0160, IMG 0161 (1) (http://postimg.org/gallery/ns126jdu/)

Thanks for the help !

AGOatemywallet
09-08-2015, 10:07 PM
That PostImage link is annoying

Please don't do that again

All-Purpose Cleaner and a MF towel will work wonders on your interior

Start with a 10:1 dilution and go to 4:1 if there are any areas left that don't clean up

A Magic Eraser is a great tool for scuffs around the door openings

I don't use interior dressings anymore. Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer instead

sshazam
09-08-2015, 10:26 PM

Start with a 10:1 dilution and go to 4:1 if there are any areas left that don't clean up

I don't use interior dressings anymore. Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer instead

Sorry i'll try to upload them to this thread.

Which areas should I use the all purpose cleaner on ?

Here are the photos

sshazam
09-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Mods feel free to delete this thread

Thanks !

Mike Phillips
09-09-2015, 06:44 AM

I agree. I clicked on the link before scrolling down to see the OP had made a follow-up post inserting thumbnails.

After clicking to the link the website wanted to download some type of file onto my computer so I used the task manager to close all browser windows.

:dunno:

sshazam
09-09-2015, 06:46 AM

I agree. I clicked on the link before scrolling down to see the OP had made a follow-up post inserting thumbnails.

After clicking to the link the website wanted to download some type of file onto my computer so I used the task manager to close all browser windows.

Thats very strange i'm really sorry !

Mike is it possible to get this thread delated ?

Also do you have any solutions for my questions ?

Mike Phillips
09-09-2015, 07:01 AM
Hello all,

I"m looking for a product to clean the leather seats to remove the oily armorall like product the dealer used, remove the few drops of paint on the seats (not a huge deal) and also protect/condition the seats especially the bolsters. I'm after a natural matte look. Like my rear seats have.

Theres white spots on the door trim, armrest and centre rest. The steering wheel has some white paint on it and the leather has peeled. Is there a good product to get rid of this and prevent it from happening?

There's some general dirt build up and dried sticky residue in one of the bottle holders.

I was thinking of using the Lexol value pack for the seats ,door trim and seals.

Lexol Value Pack - Now you can get Lexol Leather Cleaner, Lexol Leather Conditioner, and Lexol’s patented Vinylex together in one kit (http://www.autogeek.net/lexolkit.html)

Yes that kit will work. Get some microfiber applicator pads to apply these products and use clean microfiber towels to remove any excess product residues.

Mothers back to black for the side mirrors

That will work.

and an APC for the sticky door residue/cleaning switches.

If the plastic switches are STICKY right now I'd recommend taking this sage advice,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

So instead of using an APC try a water dampened microfiber towel with a little soap on it. Any skin safe soap like hand soap.

You're HOPING the stickiness is just the previous owners icky sweating oily finger residues. You're hoping a little soap and water will remove the ick.

What you don't want to find out the hard way is the cleaners in the APC are too harsh for the plastic switches and clean them but leave them sticky.

If the water dampened microfiber towel and a little soap doesn't clean them you can always try an APC.

Don't get me wrong, I use APC to clean all the time but sticky plastic switches is a problem and if it's the plastic that is sticky, not the substance on the plastic then you want to proceed with a tick of caution.

I'm open to suggestions especially about the paint. I've uploaded photos of the areas.

Thanks for the help !

Paint is simple...

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax

If you don't own a dual action polisher then get one.

:)

sshazam
09-09-2015, 07:05 AM
Yes that kit will work. Get some microfiber applicator pads to apply these products and use clean microfiber towels to remove any excess product residues.

That will work.

You're HOPING the stickiness is just the previous owners icky sweating oily finger residues. You're hoping a little soap and water will remove the ick.

Paint is simple...

Wash
Clay
Polish
Wax

If you don't own a dual action polisher then get one.

The sticky residue is in the bottle holders. Its like someone spilled something then let it dry its hard to the touch. Its either that or glue.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant the small specks of paint on the leather seats.

Thanks for the advice !

Mike Phillips
09-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Mike is it possible to get this thread deleted ?

First we never delete threads. A thread may be "moved" to the Moderator's Forum which is invisible to the public but this is a professional forum and as such we never "delete" a thread.

Words mean things and for years I've seen people use this word and multiple times I've replied and stated that for legal reasons we never delete a thread. Threads are moved out of the public forum but never deleted. Other forums might delete threads but not this forum.

Just want to make that clear as a coating.

Not sure why you would want to delete it? You have great questions and you're getting great help.

Mike Phillips
09-09-2015, 08:43 AM
The sticky residue is in the bottle holders. Its like someone spilled something then let it dry its hard to the touch. Its either that or glue.

Thanks for the extra information.

You still want to use water to dissolve the sticky substance which is probably some type of sugar soda pop or sugary coffee that spilled and water plus TIME will re-liquefy these dried residues so you can wipe them away.

I'd suggest getting a microfiber towel or even a wash cloth and soaking it in hot/warm water. Then wring it out to the point it's still very wet but not dripping wet and then place it into the bottle/cup holders.

The wet cloth will hold warm water against all the surfaces so water can do it's thing and soak into the dried residue.

If you "spray" something onto anything vertical it will simply run off and then it's not working for you. A dampened cloth will hold the moisture against the surface.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I meant the small specks of paint on the leather seats.

Removing PAINT off of a delicate surface like leather is never safe and never fast and easy.

You need a solvent that will dissolve the paint and any solvent that is STRONG enough to dissolve dried paint is very likely NOT going to at the same time be good or beneficial to the leather.

I've had good luck using ladies fingernail polish remover.

Put on a nitrile glove and then apply a little fingernail polish remover to a small portion of a clean microfiber towel and then DAB the spots of paint till you're happy.

Immediately afterwards apply a leather cleaner and then a leather conditioner.

Hope that helps.... maybe others have some good ideas too....

sshazam
09-09-2015, 08:43 AM
First we never delete threads. A thread may be "moved" to the Moderator's Forum which is invisible to the public but this is a professional forum and as such we never "delete" a thread.

Words mean things and for years I've seen people use this word and multiple times I've replied and stated that for legal reasons we never delete a thread. Threads are moved out of the public forum but never deleted. Other forums might delete threads but not this forum.

Just want to make that clear as a coating.

Not sure why you would want to delete it? You have great questions and you're getting great help.

I was going to create a new thread so I could delete the link to the photos from the original post. But i'm happy to leave it as it is :)

Mike how can you figure out what kind of leather your seats are made out of and which part of the seat is leather or Vinyl ? I've been told the perforated part of my seats are leather or a leather like material and my bolsters are vinyl. If thats the case what could I use to make the Vinyl not creased ?
Theres so many different leather cleaner products out there and some work better on certain kinds. So i'm just trying to find the best product. Wish manufacturers would actually give this information out :p
Would 303 Aerospace be one of the recommended products for Vinyl ?

You still want to use water to dissolve the sticky substance which is probably some type of sugar soda pop or sugary coffee that spilled and water plus TIME will re-liquefy these dried residues so you can wipe them away.

I'd suggest getting a microfiber towel or even a wash cloth and soaking it in hot/warm water. Then wring it out to the point it's still very wet but not dripping wet and then place it into the bottle/cup holders.

The wet cloth will hold warm water against all the surfaces so water can do it's thing and soak into the dried residue.

If you "spray" something onto anything vertical it will simply run off and then it's not working for you. A dampened cloth will hold the moisture against the surface.

Removing PAINT off of a delicate surface like leather is never safe and never fast and easy.

You need a solvent that will dissolve the paint and any solvent that is STRONG enough to dissolve dried paint is very likely NOT going to at the same time be good or beneficial to the leather.

Put on a nitrile glove and then apply a little fingernail polish remover to a small portion of a clean microfiber towel and then DAB the spots of paint till you're happy.

I think i'll live with the paint on the leather seats. it's not that bad and last thing I want to do is cause anymore damage.

I'll try a mild cleaner on the steering wheel and see how that goes. I'm thinking maybe a magic eraser might be a good option. Hopefully the steering wheel doesn't peel anymore.

Thank you for all your help as well by the way !

Mike Phillips
09-09-2015, 08:46 AM
From the year 2004

Here's paint on leather and ladies fingernail polish remover was used to remove it.

Here's the before,

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2dyeonseatbefore.jpg

Here's the after,

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/21999CorvetteSeatRestoreAfter-med.jpg

Mike Phillips
09-09-2015, 09:01 AM
I was going to create a new thread so I could delete the link to the photos from the original post. But i'm happy to leave it as it is :)

I'll remove the pictures as I can't help but question the safety of the site you hosted them on.

In the future try Photobucket (although I'm not a fan of Photobucket), or upload them to your free gallery here on AGO.

Mike how can you figure out what kind of leather your seats are made out of and which part of the seat is leather or Vinyl ?

Normally it's just the faces of the seats that are leather, that is where you rest your back and the area you actually sit on.

Most leather seats in modern cars fall into the category of semi-analine leather. There's a number of articles on the topic of leather floating around in the blogosphere and if you want more information or to become an expert on the topic just do some Googling.

I like to keep it simple and trust that most respected brand names that offer leather cleaners, conditioners and protectant ALREADY have done their research and know that most the leather used in new cars is semi-aniline or protected leather and thus formulate their products to be safe for this type of material.

How would you rate Vynlex against 303 Aerospace ?

I'd say the are both top notch brands.

Maybe start a dedicated thread asking for input from our forum members on their experience for leather products.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies.

See my article here,

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

and here,

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html)

:xyxthumbs:

sshazam
09-09-2015, 09:08 AM

I'll remove the pictures as I can't help but question the safety of the site you hosted them on.

In the future try Photobucket (although I'm not a fan of Photobucket), or upload them to your free gallery here on AGO.

Normally it's just the faces of the seats that are leather, that is where you rest your back and the area you actually sit on.

Most leather seats in modern cars fall into the category of semi-analine leather. There's a number of articles on the topic of leather floating around in the blogosphere and if you want more information or to become an expert on the topic just do some Googling.

I like to keep it simple and trust that most respected brand names that offer leather cleaners, conditioners and protectant ALREADY have done their research and know that most the leather used in new cars is semi-aniline or protected leather and thus formulate their products to be safe for this type of material.

I'd say the are both top notch brands.

Maybe start a dedicated thread asking for input from our forum members on their experience for leather products.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies.

See my article here,

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

and here,

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Thank you for the response !

Yes if you could remove the link that would be great. The AG uploader wasn't working so I thought to try another option.

There seems to be some sort of product already on the front seats which has made them dark and rough. It reminds me of Amor all. I want to bring the seats back to their soft natural self. Would a leather conditioner help with this ? or is another product required?

Along my arm rest, centre console and other parts of the trim there seems to be some white spots. What can I use/do to restore these back to the natural black self ? Theres a picture of this in my second post with the photos.

sshazam
09-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Anyone know how I can get rid of those white patches on my interior trim and how to protect it ? I'm not sure if 303 will be fine on interior seals.