PDA

View Full Version : VW Jetta Oxidized Roof or Clear Coat Damage?

XJL
09-08-2015, 11:09 AM
I worked on a black (non metallilc) 2009 VW Jetta that had moderate oxidation mostly on the center portion of the roof. The trunk and hood look perfect. Using a DA, I compounded using WG Uber and an orange LC pad and it came out really nice. Finished using WG Finishing Glaze with a white LC pad. Again, it looked fantastic! Used Menz. Poly Lock Sealant as the last step. Two days later the oxidation returned, not as bad as it was initially.

Notice the nearly perfect square shape in front of the antenna?

What's going on here?

Pureshine
09-08-2015, 11:55 PM
A 2009 shouldn't have clear coat issues. It looks more like oxidation.

XJL
09-09-2015, 08:38 AM
So more compounding? Perhaps with a rotary?

Mike lambert
09-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Was it touched up at the dealership?

XJL
09-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Was it touched up at the dealership?

No never. Original paint and original owner.

Mike lambert
09-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Measure the paint and try correction again would be my guess?

Setec Astronomy
09-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Finished using WG Finishing Glaze with a white LC pad. Again, it looked fantastic! Used Menz. Poly Lock Sealant as the last step. Two days later the oxidation returned, not as bad as it was initially.

What's going on here?

If the oxidation came back in 2 days--that's sounds a lot like CC failure.

No never. Original paint and original owner.

Honestly, how can you say that? Even if it's your personal car and you took the plastic off at the dealer, you don't know what was done at the port before it even got to the dealer.

XJL
09-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Honestly, how can you say that? Even if it's your personal car and you took the plastic off at the dealer, you don't know what was done at the port before it even got to the dealer.

I say that based on the information I have without any speculation or assumptions.

I'm going to give it another try and I will report back with the results for those that are interested.