PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk car shows

Pages : [1] 2

House of Wax
09-05-2015, 11:54 PM
For those of you who participate in car shows/cruise nights, when did you first decide your car was "worthy" (for lack of a better term) of entering them?

I've always loved going to them and thought it would be cool to be able to participate someday. Well, with the recent purchase of my GTO, my interest has certainly peaked. My Goat has a decent list of mods (nothing crazy though) and I personally feel it's gorgeous, but the last thing I wanna do is be that guy people are walking by wondering why that car was entered lol. I guess if nothing else it's a bit intimidating since I've never done it before and don't personally know anyone in my area involved in that scene.

GenesisCoupe
09-06-2015, 12:31 AM
i stopped going to car shows after seeing how people take care of their paint...just too brutal.

Mittenz
09-06-2015, 12:35 AM
I don't enter shows to win, but we have what I consider very cool monthly shows here.

Caffeine and Exotics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Doe88avVjc)

And

Caffeine and Octane (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2MgQgj81Q)

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-06-2015, 03:11 AM
All those "show cars" out of 300 cars there will be 3 at the show with decent paint.

Not only swirls scratches.

But streaks from improper washing. Streaks from improper use of quick detail spray.

There glass is all smudged with streaks.

Its quite sad.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-06-2015, 03:12 AM
Not to mention all the wax residue in the emblems mouldings jambs

silverfox
09-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Its about hp and bling. Frankly, having perfect paint isn't worth a cup of coffee in terms of being "worthy" unless you're entering the high end concourse or high prestige events.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Just go and and have fun. I have a Mustang GT (on one hand, not a Lambo, on the other, not a 57 Chevy). Who cares.... Go, park, lift your hood and make friends. You'll find at local cruise nights it's the same folks that show up every week.

At our Mustang club we have a kid show up with his new Subaru Impreza. We don't mind... the boxer engine is kind of cool to look at.... especially when he's parked between two super-charged GT500 Super-Snakes. LOL...

novaman
09-06-2015, 07:15 AM
Just go and and have fun. I have a Mustang GT (on one hand, not a Lambo, on the other, not a 57 Chevy). Who cares.... Go, park, lift your hood and make friends. You'll find at local cruise nights it's the same folks that show up every week.

At our Mustang club we have a kid show up with his new Subaru Impreza. We don't mind... the boxer engine is kind of cool to look at.... especially when he's parked between two supercharged GT500 Super-Snakes. LOL...I'm with you on this one, Paul-G! I have doing local cruise nights for at least 12 years and local car shows. We go for the camaraderie and just plane talking cars. We have met lots of nice people and made some good friends. As far as how people look after their cars it's varied, that's for sure. Some are just plain not too worried about swirl marks etc. Then some like me were almost paranoid about it. I used to worry about people getting too close and scratching it or people with strollers with kids touching my 72 Nova. It kind of took the fun out of it when I did take my Nova to the local cruise night. My 85 Monte Carlo SS, I don't worry about near as much so I enjoy myself much more when I take it.

novaman

House of Wax
09-06-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm not worried about the level of detail on my car.....I can hold my own in that area.

Pats300zx
09-06-2015, 07:26 AM
I only do car shows for fun, meeting other car people, and seeing other great cars. So over the stress and attitudes that come with car shows. Most people who care for their cars on this site are going to look better than 80% of the cars at a car show. Local shows and cruise in are so much better. People are so much nicer since the bragging rights over a trophy are gone.

FUNX650
09-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Intrinsic value is quite often unmatched
by the almighty dollar; and, then:
by an immeasurable margin, as well!

So I say:
Enjoy your car.
Drive it; go to Car Shows; Cruise...whatever.

And...Remember:
Everyone is a critic. :)

Bob

House of Wax
09-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Intrinsic value is quite often unmatched
by the almighty dollar; and, then:
by an immeasurable margin, as well!

So I say:
Enjoy your car.
Drive it; go to Car Shows; Cruise...whatever.

And...Remember:
Everyone is a critic. :)

Bob
Good stuff. Thanks

david79z28
09-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Got a car? Want to take it to shows and cruises? GO!!!

I go just for the fun.

Heck, if I made my paint perfect before every event, I'd be to tired and worn out to go.

Our local shows do a lot of good for charities. For most of my friends that's what it's about, using their cars to help others.

Go, have fun!!

MPBGT
09-06-2015, 04:31 PM
If you have any type of car your proud of take it. I was at a show today where a guy had an 88 Chevy truck entered. Nothing done to it, basically a clean stock truck, but the guy was proud of it.

Take your car and join the community. It's a blast, just don't look down on people for imperfect paint. From a guy that has a few old cars there are far more important things than paint sometimes. The constant fiddling and small things that need to be fixed can be overwhelming.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-06-2015, 09:07 PM
In addition to my previous post where I encouraged going, there is only two caveats which someone else mentioned. The the "unsupervised" children, the ladies with the large purses. Because of this, I scaled back on going to them, due to a few bad experiences.

My only advice, stick close to your car and keep an eye on the kids and the big purses.
Mileage may vary from one event to another.