PDA

View Full Version : How to clean Tacoma gauges

sumeri28
09-05-2015, 10:33 PM
I have detailed 3 brand new Tacoma trucks and literally everytime I take a microfiber towel to the gauge cluster glass, it scratches the ever livin piss out of the glass. What am I doing wrong?? The 4th one I left alone.

AGOatemywallet
09-05-2015, 10:48 PM
Are you wiping the plastic gauge cover with a Raw MF Towel or are you using some sort of lubricant?

PA DETAILER
09-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Dry MF will scratch it. Use a plastic product FIRST.

DP Plex-All aerosol plastic cleaner,plastic polish,clear plastic cleaner polish,DP plastic polish,plastic protectant,headlight cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-plex-all.html)

DogRescuer
09-06-2015, 03:33 AM
So it took you 3x to change your method, why? If I had a decent method I'd let you know, sorry.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-06-2015, 07:08 AM
Dry MF will scratch it. Use a plastic product FIRST.

DP Plex-All aerosol plastic cleaner,plastic polish,clear plastic cleaner polish,DP plastic polish,plastic protectant,headlight cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-plex-all.html)

The gauges scratch because the plastic is coated with an anti-glare material. Which for any eye glass wearer such as myself, knows what happens if you don't use the special cloths & cleaning solution.

Use what Pro4x mentioned or Meg's PlastX. I apply with small yellow foam and wipe with mf cloth. The one time I didn't, I used my eye-glass cleaner (formulated for anti-glare eye glasses) and a soft eye-glass cleaning cloth. No issues.

sumeri28
09-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys! I know it took me too many times but I thought someone had scratched it before me. I'll check a plastic cleaner out. Kind of stupid on Toyota's part for not educating the customer on this.

VISITOR
09-06-2015, 03:30 PM
I use a QD and a long shag microfiber towel to clean scratch sensitive areas...

DogRescuer
09-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys! I know it took me too many times but I thought someone had scratched it before me. I'll check a plastic cleaner out. Kind of stupid on Toyota's part for not educating the customer on this.
As long as we learn and don't repeat these mistakes. God knows I make plenty.

TRDTACO
09-06-2015, 09:32 PM
I have a Tacoma and I have scratched my plastic guages allso. Best thing I have found to lessen the scratches is to lightly dampen a good quality microfiber with glass cleaner and lightly and gently use it on the cluster with almost no pressure. The plastic seems to scratch just looking at it.

sumeri28
09-07-2015, 09:27 AM
I have a Tacoma and I have scratched my plastic guages allso. Best thing I have found to lessen the scratches is to lightly dampen a good quality microfiber with glass cleaner and lightly and gently use it on the cluster with almost no pressure. The plastic seems to scratch just looking at it.

I have noticed! I left the last customer's alone. I told him they would scratch and I'd rather not do that to his brand new truck. Eventually it will need to be dealt with

hogie
09-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I know it isn't made for it, but I have use 3M Imperial glaze on gauge panels with good results.

sumeri28
09-07-2015, 08:01 PM
I know it isn't made for it, but I have use 3M Imperial glaze on gauge panels with good results.

Yeah I could see how that works, thanks for the input!

CDot
09-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Grab the suede microfiber cloths that you use to clean eyeglasses with; those are probably the most gentle media you can use.

EvolutionDetail
09-08-2015, 09:44 AM
What about Plexus?

PA DETAILER
09-08-2015, 10:43 AM
what about plexus?

Really good stuff! Expensive, but worth every penney.