PDA

View Full Version : Products and Shelf Life?

Toro1966
09-05-2015, 08:09 PM
Hey guys - just getting back into detailing after several years out of the game. I am not doing this for a business but I want to make sure my new truck is done right. I have actually had white cars for the last 5-6 years or so. Now I have a Blue Sierra Denali, I know I'll see every imperfection.

I have quite a few products in my cabinet and they all seem to still have the correct consistency, but all of them are atleast 6-8 years old. Specifically I have:
- Zaino Z5, FX, leather in a bottle, leather cleaning spray, car wash
- Lexol cleaner and conditioner
- Meguiars 7 (polish), 26 (High tech yellow wax), and 34 (Final Inspection)
- Meguiars NXT Tech 2.0 wax

Is it safe to use these still or do I need to get new stuff? I just don't want to damage the finish on the truck. Thanks!

Mittenz
09-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Hey guys - just getting back into detailing after several years out of the game. I am not doing this for a business but I want to make sure my new truck is done right. I have actually had white cars for the last 5-6 years or so. Now I have a Blue Sierra Denali, I know I'll see every imperfection.

I have quite a few products in my cabinet and they all seem to still have the correct consistency, but all of them are atleast 6-8 years old. Specifically I have:
- Zaino Z5, FX, leather in a bottle, leather cleaning spray, car wash
- Lexol cleaner and conditioner
- Meguiars 7 (polish), 26 (High tech yellow wax), and 34 (Final Inspection)
- Meguiars NXT Tech 2.0 wax

Is it safe to use these still or do I need to get new stuff? I just don't want to damage the finish on the truck. Thanks!
I doubt any old product would damage your paint. At worse it would be less effective. You would definitely want to make sure you shake them well before using. I think if I saw any gelling on the bottom, I'd consider tossing it.

oldmodman
09-06-2015, 04:17 AM
I still have quite a few Zaino product leftover from my period of addiction and they all still work just fine.

I just did a friend's car with Zaino because he loves the stuff. I told him he can have it all, take it home and do it himself but NOOOOO.
And I bought it all in 2003.

Toro1966
09-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. I managed to shake up the Z2 and Z5 enough so that it is one consistency. Still smells good, but not sure I want to mess with it. A shame because that stuff wasn't cheap. The Megs seems fine, but I want to stick with one system and I don't want to waste my time doing all of the polishing and waxing if the product has lost its effectiveness.