PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's MT300 Power Cord Issue

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Guz
09-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Well I was in the midst of polishing my garage queen to prep it for a coating and the MT300 bit the dust. It literally died on me while using it on the driver side fender. It stopped spinning. The sad thing is I was only able to use it on 4 cars. This would have been the 5th.

I soon realized that it would only turn on at certain angles. For example when it's upside down lol. Check out the video.

This is not a rant but I am putting this out there for those who have had or may have this issue. Hopefully this is not a bigger problem as this was one of the things that plagued their G110V2 DA. I do know of a member on this forum that had the same issue after using it on 17 cars.

I have emailed Meguiar's customer care and copied Michael Stoops as this should be covered under their 1 year warranty.

In the meantime I will be using my trusty PC7424XP to finish polishing.

http://vimeo.com/138366680

Clutch34
09-05-2015, 12:56 AM
Hmm... Subscribed, keep us informed on what they say. I've had my eye on this DA.

TheAverageMan
09-05-2015, 01:34 AM
Im working on my 3rd car right now. Hopefully it doesnt die on me.

The Guz
09-05-2015, 02:35 AM
Hmm... Subscribed, keep us informed on what they say. I've had my eye on this DA.

Will do. It's more than likely a solder connection or the internal screws are loose. I could take it apart and fix it but since it is still under warranty I'll let Meguiar's take care of it. Plus I'm only 45 mins from their headquarters.

Im working on my 3rd car right now. Hopefully it doesnt die on me.

Keep on using it. It's a good machine. I could have had a quality control issue with mine.

DaveT435
09-05-2015, 08:13 AM
Well I was in the midst of polishing my garage queen to prep it for a coating and the MT300 bit the dust. It literally died on me while using it on the driver side fender. It stopped spinning. The sad thing is I was only able to use it on 4 cars. This would have been the 5th.

I soon realized that it would only turn on at certain angles. For example when it's upside down lol. Check out the video.

This is not a rant but I am putting this out there for those who have had or may have this issue. Hopefully this is not a bigger problem as this was one of the things that plagued their G110V2 DA. I do know of a member on this forum that had the same issue after using it on 17 cars.

I have emailed Meguiar's customer care and copied Michael Stoops as this should be covered under their 1 year warranty.

In the meantime I will be using my trusty PC7424XP to finish polishing.

http://vimeo.com/138366680

I had G110v2's quit because of the cord issue. One had about 8-10 hours on it. This happened within a couple weeks. Exchanged t for a PC through AG. Had to buy another G110v2 from Walmart to finish the vehicle I was working on. Unfortunately the second 110 was used very little and died after about 20 hours, unfortunately that was 18 months after purchase. They have had this issue with every machine they made as far as I know. They supposedly had the problem corrected when they made the G110v2. It wasn't. I can't believe hearing about this type of problem on multiple machines on their new machine. Doesn't sound promising!

The Guz
09-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Well I heard back from Mr. Stoops. This will be covered under warranty. Their customer care center is closed for the holiday so I will have to wait until Tuesday.

I had G110v2's quit because of the cord issue. One had about 8-10 hours on it. This happened within a couple weeks. Exchanged t for a PC through AG. Had to buy another G110v2 from Walmart to finish the vehicle I was working on. Unfortunately the second 110 was used very little and died after about 20 hours, unfortunately that was 18 months after purchase. They have had this issue with every machine they made as far as I know. They supposedly had the problem corrected when they made the G110v2. It wasn't. I can't believe hearing about this type of problem on multiple machines on their new machine. Doesn't sound promising!

Damn. Hope this isn't an issue for this machine. It's got me thinking about getting a Rupes 15 or Griots 15.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
09-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I was close to ordering one, this won't stop me but it will make me maybe wait and see how this plays out. The little I've had to deal with Meguiar's support I have nothing but good things to say. And from the 2 classes I took there, Michael Stoops is a really great guy. I can't see them not making this right, I just hope it's not a wide spread issue.

Clutch34
09-05-2015, 11:40 PM
I'm glad they'll replace it for you, but it does make me hesitant to purchase it right now. I'm with quebert, I'll wait it out as well to see if any more cord problems arise. Plus, I don't think I'll be getting one until after winter anyways. I'm not a professional detailer so I'll only be using it a handful of times per year so I'll be pretty ticked off if it dies on me on my 6th or 7th use when it's out of warranty.

vobro
09-06-2015, 12:36 AM
I know Megs will do the right thing but I too have been waiting to purchase this unit. I had two different G110v2's do the same thing (warranted), hopefully it's an isolated issue.

Ginnova
09-06-2015, 03:07 AM
My MT-300 had the same cord problems as the OP. And it was used only for a few cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1hxFcsA7o&feature=youtu.be

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2015, 07:25 AM
They have had this issue with every machine they made as far as I know. They supposedly had the problem corrected when they made the G110v2. It wasn't. I can't believe hearing about this type of problem on multiple machines on their new machine. Doesn't sound promising!

Crazy, isn't it? I thought that was the whole purpose of the v2 was to correct the cord problems with the original version. So this goes back to 2009 and they still can't get the strain relief issue resolved. Too bad because I hear good things about the MT300, I think it was from Rasky in another thread.

DaveT435
09-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Crazy, isn't it? I thought that was the whole purpose of the v2 was to correct the cord problems with the original version. So this goes back to 2009 and they still can't get the strain relief issue resolved. Too bad because I hear good things about the MT300, I think it was from Rasky in another thread.

The 110v2 was a pretty decent machine.

Other than the cord issue!

DaveT435
09-06-2015, 08:38 AM
Well I heard back from Mr. Stoops. This will be covered under warranty. Their customer care center is closed for the holiday so I will have to wait until Tuesday.

Damn. Hope this isn't an issue for this machine. It's got me thinking about getting a Rupes 15 or Griots 15.

Did you buy it from AG? If so you should return it to them and use the credit towards another machine. If not, maybe when you get the new one they would take that and give you credit towRds another machine??? I'm sure you would have to pay the freight, but it would be worth it. After what I went through with the two G110v2s and ending up biting the bullet on one of them. Then hearing these issues with this machine I wouldn't trust it.
Good thing you had a backup machine.

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2015, 08:39 AM
The 110v2 was a pretty decent machine.

I'm sure it was/is--it's just how many times do you hear about a cord issue with a PC? The world has been making electric power tools for a hundred years...it's not like keeping the cord connected is some new technology.

DaveT435
09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
I'm sure it was/is--it's just how many times do you hear about a cord issue with a PC? The world has been making electric power tools for a hundred years...it's not like keeping the cord connected is some new technology.

I forgot to finish that post...just went back and corrected it. The next sentence was supposed to be "other than the cord issue" I'm with you on this one. It cost me 150.00 because after a couple hours I pretty much let that machine sit around til well after the warranty expired. I should have kept using it til it went bad while it was still under warranty. That's two out of two machines I had never made 20 hours.