PDA

View Full Version : Jeweling with Prima Amigo Experiment (Rotary)

RedXray
09-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Prima Amigo is a prewax cleaner and glaze that has just enough micro abrasives for lite correction with the correct pad. I did a full correction on the truck a couple weeks ago so I wasn't looking to remove or fill any swirls. What I wanted was to remove the coats of wax I applied after the correction, then to apply some of the new ($50) Fuzion wax on a clean prepped surface.

My original plan was to use the GG 6" with a 5.5 LC flat black pad to work in the Amigo as the directions call for a DA. Going through my pad drawer I noticed a new 6.5 CCS Gold Jeweling pad... hummm wonder if this super soft pad along with the super fine abrasives in the Amigo might be a good jeweling combination? Hell give it a shot you know it will get the paint LSP ready anyways!

600 RPM's the large soft pad easily conformed to all the nooks and cranny's gliding smoothly across the finish. I cleaned the (same) pad on the fly with a terry cloth towel and had the paint ready In about 2.5 hours. It was a pleasure running the rotary, no vibrations and quiet enough at 600 to hear the stereo (pandora) :)

I can say the Amigo squeezed out a little more clarity in the clear leaving it super clean and slippery smooth. Hand applied the Fuzion and I'm happy with the results. I will use this method again especially if/when I need the glaze for filling/hiding before the next correction.

My pretty Gold pad :laughing:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_4170.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_4127.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_4129.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_4137.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/RedXray/IMG_4145.jpg

Paul A.
09-04-2015, 07:51 PM
God that's gorgeous. I have 2 LC golds (flat 5") i have reserved only for LSP service but have wanted to break them out for exactly what you did. I just don't want to cross contaminate them just yet. This post and the look of that beautiful red paint will get me to order some this weekend.

I mainly use my reds, blues and blacks for jewelling with my rotary but dang...those gold pads keep talking to me every time! It also looked like a perfect application of Prima Amigo for what you wanted to do. Jewelling is certainly my favorite part of detailing.

I've always loved the looks of you "shop" as well. Well done my friend! :dblthumb2:

trashmanssd
09-04-2015, 07:53 PM
I got amigo last month dying to try it on the garage queen only has some water spots and micro marring from washes. Messing around with gold ccs hand pad and some D151 on the trunk lid for few minutes and that greatly reduced the water spots. I was using D151 on the chrome on my truck works well for that.

DaveT435
09-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Looks great. I got my PE-14 yesterday. Six smart pads came in today, two gold. Going to try some jeweling next week. Any tips you might have?

Sizzle Chest
09-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Truck looks great!!!!!

Paul A.
09-05-2015, 10:27 AM
DaveT435, my technique with my rotary is usually with Menzerna 4500, a black pad and the Zenith Point Technique i.e. starting out slow to spread the product onto the work area then gradually step up and then down in increments peaking out at around maybe 1400-1600 max. I lighten up the pressure and even practice Mike P's technique of "negative pressure" for those final passes...lifting ever so slightly so as to get even less than machine weight pressure. And i use slow arm speed.

I get that beautiful Menzerna "rainbow" spectrumed light look for the very last pass or passes as the product is worked so thin but still including some lubrication. Wipe off is easy and the paint looks incredibally refined.

RedXray
09-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I lighten up the pressure and even practice Mike P's technique of "negative pressure" for those final passes...lifting ever so slightly so as to get even less than machine weight pressure.

+1

Yeah I think that's the key to jeweling is to finish the cycle with very lite pressure. A faster hand speed helps me with a lighter touch though.

I've changed my technique slightly the last couple of years. I used to finish around 1000RPM's with a robotic like pattern. Now I keep the RPM's lower and let the buffer follow the shape of the panel breaking out of that normal 2' x 2' square.

Here is me jeweling a few years ago with that robotic pattern.

GTechniq Jeweling Polish P2 - YouTube

Justin at Final Inspection
09-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Awesome truck and awesome work! My last 4 corrections have been completed by rotary. I personally love how smooth a rotary operates and feel that they break down DAT products faster and easier.

PA DETAILER
09-05-2015, 12:31 PM
AMIGO.....Good stuff!

fly07sti
09-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Very nice. I to have been getting back to my rotaries as well. Used my Dewalt with orange B&S pad and HD Speed last weekend on a 2001 Suburban and came out great.