PDA

View Full Version : Sealant curing

sean1ucc
09-04-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm going to try wolfgangs deep gloss 3.0 sealant but with the long cure time following buffing off I'm wondering whether covering the car with a soft lined, breathable car cover would be suitable over night or whether it would impede the curing? I do not have access to a garage in which the car would fit! The aim would be to leave the car exposed until early evening then cover before moisture settles and remove again in the morning. Thoughts?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
09-04-2015, 06:17 PM
A car cover should not impede the curing and should be fine. You need 12 hrs. for the sealant to cross link. If you can seal it in the morning, you will be good to go when the sun goes down.

sean1ucc
09-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks, I was hoping I'd get away with that approach as I don't have too many other options!!

carls2006
09-05-2015, 04:06 PM
I just tried the stuff for first time.. And got it on here about 2 pm.. Hope tonight its dry enough as its gotta sit outside.. Very hot tho today and humid. Think moisture will be down... ?? but i do have a breathable very soft inside cover i could put on.. Neighbors, here will lol, at that one.. Im in apartment complex...

sean1ucc
09-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Let us know how that turns out!

carls2006
09-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Let us know how that turns out!

Not to bad of stuff, ... But plan on buying a better buffer to get out very small scratches in future... I just used a 9 inch obit with bonnet.-- Gloss/shine seems good on my Arctic white which is hard to get depth, but it did add some depth..- Was going to try a comparison with wolfgang sealant and collinite 845 wax , for shine but that always to hard to tell...

Will be adding adams H20 Guard now after washing until car goes away into storage for winter months..
Then in spring attack the scratches and then try maybe ? - Klasse sealant glaze - for comparison..
I did put a little Collinite 845 on top in small area to see how that stuff went on and off, as i read its not the easiest.. Well it seems easy to me...on/off

sean1ucc
09-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Do people find in general that adding a glaze post polish but before sealant makes a difference to finish quality?

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-08-2015, 01:57 PM
Do people find in general that adding a glaze post polish but before sealant makes a difference to finish quality?

It doesnt.

The only reason to use a glaze is to fill in any of the scratches or swirls you didnt or couldnt get out.

As far as gloss enhancing if you polished it correctly you will see no difference the only benefit is that a glaze fills in the scratches.

So if your polished paint to perfection and only deep scratches left its kind of pointless just put the glaze on that deep scratch and try to fill it as much

Desertnate
09-08-2015, 03:46 PM

I use the glaze in place of polishing.

I know my car will take a beating over the winter and any correction won't last very long. Therefore, I'll glaze as part of my fall detail routine instead of polishing out the defects.

The car looks great for several months, and by then we're deep into winter and I'm happy simply to keep off the salt. Covering swirls is the least of my worries.

sean1ucc
09-09-2015, 01:46 PM
What about acrylic glazes such as prima amigo? Would they bond to the the underlying sealant such as WG DG 3.0 or is it likely to strip the sealant layer in the process of application?

Desertnate
09-09-2015, 04:00 PM
What about acrylic glazes such as prima amigo? Would they bond to the the underlying sealant such as WG DG 3.0 or is it likely to strip the sealant layer in the process of application?

Glazes like Amigo or Black Hole go under a sealant like DG 3.0, not over it. I've used both under 845 with no ill effects, but that is a totally different type of product.

Amigo also has abrasives in it, so you really don't want to use it over any sealant or wax. It will remove some/all of your LSP as it's applied.

sean1ucc
09-10-2015, 01:46 AM
So acrylic glazes are polymer based with a bonding effect rather than just fillers as such? My plan is Amigo then DG 3.0 then CG light fantastic. Following a polish and decon of the paintwork that is!

Desertnate
09-10-2015, 07:47 AM
So acrylic glazes are polymer based with a bonding effect rather than just fillers as such? My plan is Amigo then DG 3.0 then CG light fantastic. Following a polish and decon of the paintwork that is!

I don't know about all glazes, but a few like Black Hole and Amigo are designed to be topped by other products in that vendors product line. I've topped both successfully. Amigo is an interesting product that can almost be considered a "cleaner glaze". It has both fillers and mild abrasives which clean and lightly correct the surface.

sean1ucc
09-10-2015, 01:41 PM
I read great reviews about the Amigo which is why I picked it up to try, will be first attempt at properly detailing my car so should be an experience!