PDA

View Full Version : FLEX 3401 VS Porter Cable 7424 Microfiber pads

sayroger
09-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Their are a lot of post out on the forums on the speed setting on the FLEX 3401 VS the Porter Cable ( Direct drive VS clutch style DA) using the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System. We all know that you have to slow the speed down when using the Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System. When the MCS was designed it worked best at a slow opm to let the fibers to get inside the swirls to help smooth the surface out faster.

Ok lets look at the clutch style DA.

When using the DA at speed 4 4800 opm when firm down word presser is applied the pad slows down very slow allowing the fibers to do their job. Your are probably not getting the full 4800 opms because of the firm presser is slowing everything down. But that's ok on this DA it the best speed setting to get the best results. If you watch videos on using the MCS pay close attention to the speed of the microfiber pad as it being used the pad almost stops at times but still dose a great job at correction.

Ok the FLEX 3401

Now we are talking about a machine that is direct drive the pad will not stop or slow down with firm presser applied. If you set you FLEX to speed 4 when using the MCS you are getting a constant OPM. So now we have to try to match the OPM of the clutch style DA to the direct drive FLEX. I think that setting 2 to 2.5 works the best for me. The pad rotation looks very close to the clutch style DA. And the correction for me is very good. Plus it is better control of the flex as it wants to walk a little with the FLEX.

We are so used to paint corrections using foam on speed 6 that when we need to slow down to work faster is kind of a mind game.

This is my version of the to machines using the MCS. As with all polished and compounds all rules don't always apply. TEST SPOTS, TEST SPOTS are the key to get the best and quickest results.

Please feel free to correct me or add to my observation.

Lustrous Detail
09-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the info! I have a Flex but haven't done much correction jobs. Have you ever tried the LC Hybrids? How does that compare to the Megs DA System as far as speed settings goes?

cardaddy
09-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Don't know about "down word presser" but I do know that the Flex will always tend to use a slower speed than any freewheeling DA.;)

sayroger
09-04-2015, 02:34 PM
"down word presser" yea that's how we talk in KY.. sorry

JustJesus
09-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Yup. For DA use,

4800 for MF cutting discs and DA Compound
3800 for MF finishing discs and DA Finishing wax

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I literally cannot remember the last time I used speed 6 on any machine for cutting or polishing. Speed 3-4 is great for me on Flex 3401 using Megs MF pads. You left out a variable as well.....arm speed.

cardaddy
09-05-2015, 09:09 AM
I literally cannot remember the last time I used speed 6 on any machine for cutting or polishing. Speed 3-4 is great for me on Flex 3401 using Megs MF pads. You left out a variable as well.....arm speed.

I agree John, except perhaps with the Rupes machines, especially the smaller ones like the Duetto. That puppy doesn't start working till you're pushing '5' and you can run it at '6' all day long. Well actually you NEED to run it fast if you plan on keeping the plate rotation up.

I actually did a post last year where I heard a video playing (from another room) and knew instantly that it was a Rupes. :laughing: They just need to be wound up so tight, and have such a distinctive sound that there is no mistaking them. :rolleyes:

LSNAutoDetailing
09-05-2015, 02:12 PM

I too agree. I use a PC 7424 with great results. It's my little trusty steed with the short 4mm throw that it has. ;-)

But having said that, paired with the right product and pad, it certainly can get the job done.

I do not like to run it on 6, as I don't see any benefit over 4 or 5. The lack of benefit plus the added heat to the product and paint is counter productive.

I mainly use speed 4 or 5 for cutting, 4 for polish and 2-3 to apply wax as wax requires no pad rotation.

VISITOR
09-05-2015, 08:28 PM
iirc, one of the reason why megs (or anyone else with mf pads) doesn't recommend using speed 6 on the DA is not only the heat that the machine/backing plate generates to the pad, but also it lays down/flattens the mf strands quicker which will render them useless...