PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on plastic cleaners and polish

808_detail_nut
09-04-2015, 02:15 AM
I been using plastic X for my headlight polishing but been thinking of going with the 3m hard plastic cleaner and the polish or the meguiars plastic cleaner and polish. Anybody have experience with one or both of these combos and what one should I get? I know they are not a wallet buster but I really don't want to buy both if I don't have to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buck91
09-04-2015, 07:25 AM
No experience with either, but I have been using Blue Magic headlight/plastic polish for years with great results. Both by hand and with a power drill kit.

Setec Astronomy
09-04-2015, 07:53 AM
I been using plastic X for my headlight polishing but been thinking of going with the 3m hard plastic cleaner and the polish or the meguiars plastic cleaner and polish. Anybody have experience with one or both of these combos and what one should I get? I know they are not a wallet buster but I really don't want to buy both if I don't have to.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? PlastX is for plastics...except your factory headlights have a coating on them, so you're not actually polishing the plastic, you're polishing the coating. It's kind of like saying you want to use metal polish on your hood because the hood is made out of metal, but what you are actually polishing is the paint on the metal.

If you are just polishing over the headlights while you are doing the rest of the car, you can use whatever you are using on the rest of the paint. If you are trying to do headlight restoration, there's a lot better ways to go than PlastX, which is something more suitable for instrument cluster lenses.