PDA

View Full Version : 3" Plate on GG 6"?

Pages : [1] 2

StangFan25
09-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Been using a 5" plate on my GG 6" with great success. I also have the GG 3" polisher and am thinking of selling it. Just doesn't get any use. My question....can I put a 3" plate on the GG 6 when I work smaller areas? Thanks!

FOCUS.FREAK
09-03-2015, 08:24 PM
You can. I do it with my porter cable all the time. Nothing wrong with it.

StangFan25
09-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Thank you!

ski2
09-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Keep in mind that with the GG6 the black shroud will be larger than the 3" pads. Also, there will be allot of power focused on a small area (3") and the areas of most cars that need a smaller pad (like bumpers) are plastic rather than metal so heat can be a problem. I've found I can effectively and safely polish the small bits of most cars with 4" pads mounted on a 3.5" backing plate with my GG6.

Toonces
09-04-2015, 02:23 AM
I use a 3" backing plate and pads frequently on my Griot's 6". Works great but I've yet to find any 3" pads that hold up nearly as well as the Uber 5" pads I typically use. So I just reglue the backing material to Lake Country pads once the original glue inevitably fails, and the pads hold up okay after that. As ski2 mentioned, you just have to be mindful of the amount force you use.

d33p
09-04-2015, 02:30 AM
3" backing plate will work but you have the weight of the machine and crazy vibration so is it worth it if your current GG3 isnt getting any use? For the odd time you may need it I think the GG3 will be the better option.....especially if you are doing a headlight correction.

mrbtd
09-04-2015, 08:05 AM
I swapped a GG3 for a 2nd GG6 and added a 3.5" backing plate. I didnt have issues with vibration.

I was impressed by the power delivery with the 4" pads.

wdmaccord
09-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Keep in mind that with the GG6 the black shroud will be larger than the 3" pads. Also, there will be allot of power focused on a small area (3") and the areas of most cars that need a smaller pad (like bumpers) are plastic rather than metal so heat can be a problem. I've found I can effectively and safely polish the small bits of most cars with 4" pads mounted on a 3.5" backing plate with my GG6.

Agree. I stick with the 4 inch pads on 3.5 inch backing plate. The only time I use my 3 inch backing plate is with the 3 inch Megs MF pads. My philosophy is if I can't get to it with the 4" pad (because of the large shroud on the GG6 or otherwise), I do it by hand. :xyxthumbs:

I will also typically run the machine .5 to 1 tick lower with the 4 inch pads than I would with the 5.5 inch pads. So if I am polishing at 4 with the 5.5" pads, I would drop down to 3.5 or 3 with the 4 inch pads.

StangFan25
09-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! The reason I'm considering selling the GG3 is lack of power. I've tried using it a handful of times on the A frame and front fender of my Mustang and there is not enough power behind it. It would get more use of it had the power. I did like it on the headlights though!

I'll have to do some thinking and consider all of the suggestions.

Thanks again everyone!

Recon 4th 502nd
09-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Agree. I stick with the 4 inch pads on 3.5 inch backing plate. The only time I use my 3 inch backing plate is with the 3 inch Megs MF pads. My philosophy is if I can't get to it with the 4" pad (because of the large shroud on the GG6 or otherwise), I do it by hand. :xyxthumbs:

I will also typically run the machine .5 to 1 tick lower with the 4 inch pads than I would with the 5.5 inch pads. So if I am polishing at 4 with the 5.5" pads, I would drop down to 3.5 or 3 with the 4 inch pads.

I have the Megs 3" BP (DBP3) with my GG 6" but haven't used it yet. I also have the 3" LC Tangerine HT's.

However, I did notice that the shroud on the GG 6" will obscure it somewhat making it difficult to see....

Question for the board, and I have read some people doing this...

Putting the 5/8" Rotary Adapter: Rotary Backing Plate Extension (http://www.autogeek.net/rotary-backing-plate-extension.html) on and rolling with that.

Can I get an "Amen" from a Pro here....OR "don't do that you doofus". Either will be very helpful :props:

ps. I plan on never going above speed "3" with this combination.

Thanks in advance

Rsurfer
09-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Question for the board, and I have read some people doing this...

Putting the 5/8" Rotary Adapter: Rotary Backing Plate Extension (http://www.autogeek.net/rotary-backing-plate-extension.html) on and rolling with that.

Can I get an "Amen" from a Pro here....OR "don't do that you doofus". Either will be very helpful :props:

ps. I plan on never going above speed "3" with this combination.

Thanks in advance
Hey Doofus, LOL..the 5/8" rotary adapter will not fit your GG6 or any DA for that matter.:props:

Recon 4th 502nd
09-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Hey Doofus, LOL..the 5/8" rotary adapter will not fit your GG6 or any DA for that matter.:props:

lol. Are you saying 5/16th's doesn't = 5/8th's ??

Rsurfer
09-04-2015, 04:20 PM
lol. Are you saying 5/16th's doesn't = 5/8th's ??

Not unless they are transsexual.

FocusSTguy
09-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I have a 3 1/2" backing plate for my GG6 and it works great with 3 1/2 to 4" pads. Vibration isn't a problem.

ski2
09-04-2015, 10:02 PM

Unless ofcourse you use this adapter: D.A Adapter 5/8" X 11 (http://www.autogeek.net/daadapter58x11.html)