PDA

View Full Version : Compounding followed by an AIO (cleaner wax)

Hoytman
09-03-2015, 12:08 PM
I've noticed several threads started lately where someone is doing correction work with compound on a vehicle, then they proceed to follow the compound by a cleaner wax, usually HD Speed is what I am seeing.

Now the results I'm seeing look spectacular on my computer screen and they probably look the same in person, but...

...I have to wonder if all the swirls aren't coming out and are being covered up by the wax/sealant in HD Speed.

Here's my thought process on this:

There are compounds with varying degrees of cut.

Then there are polishes with varying degrees of cut, some being extremely light as in finish polishe.

Then there are AIO's, or cleaner waxes, for paint with cut from medium to extremely light.

I assumed that a polish like M205 or another similar brand, had more cut than any AIO product available through Autogeek. That is, I assumed that regardless of the finishing polish used that the abrasives in and AIO like D151 or Wolfgang AIO were even finer than most polishes.

What's your thoughts?

FUNX650
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Then there are polishes with varying degrees of cut, some being extremely light as in finish polishe.

Then there are AIO's, or cleaner waxes, for paint with cut from medium to extremely light.

I assumed that a polish like M205 or another similar brand, had more cut than any AIO product available through Autogeek. That is, I assumed that regardless of the finishing polish used that the abrasives in and AIO like D151 or Wolfgang AIO were even finer than most polishes.

What's your thoughts?
Hi Bill...

As to certain Meguiar's Componds, Polishes, AIOs;
and, according to this Mike Phillips article:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html

Then...(Relatively speaking---tools, pads,
downforce, arm speed, etc. that's being used):

D151 is a "strong" AIO...
and its placement on the Meguiar's
aggressiveness scale...puts it as:
more aggressive than M205.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1641.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99389)

If possible:
Sometimes it may be best to compare
the differences between the aggressiveness,
and abrasiveness levels of AIOs, Compounds,
and Polish products, on a case-by-case basis.

Bob

Jaretr1
09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I've noticed several threads started lately where someone is doing correction work with compound on a vehicle, then they proceed to follow the compound by a cleaner wax, usually HD Speed is what I am seeing.

Now the results I'm seeing look spectacular on my computer screen and they probably look the same in person, but...

...I have to wonder if all the swirls aren't coming out and are being covered up by the wax/sealant in HD Speed.

There are compounds with varying degrees of cut.

What's your thoughts?

Great Question and I kinda agree with you. Seems like using an AIO after a compound isnt what they were intended for?

Although maybe the AIO is acting as a polish, so its taking the last two steps and making them one?

Also, some compounds finish extremely well, well enough to not need polishing afterwards.

On my brief usage of Wolfgang AIO, it seemed to have a little cut, much moreso than XMT360 for example.

Hoytman
09-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks for bringing that up, Bob. I had forgotten about that article and that photo.

It also reminds me that charts can be a great tool to go by...if they're updated to cover most if not all products carried by AG. I'm sure that making and updating such charts are a daunting task.

Then again, going case by case as you mentioned, the test spot(s) will tell you what will work.

However, if a person looks at that picture, it may not tell the whole story. For instance ScratchX is the 4th product from M105, but I've heard it's just a tick below M105.

Now, that may not be the case with those particular products, but it could be with others, and if that be so, that picture wouldn't be a true representative of a "scale", say most aggressive to least aggressive 12-1. I guess I'm just saying that photo may not necessarily represent how close two products could be. M105/M95/M100/M101 in a group, then a space between them and the next group, or even a space within that group of compounds...I think they all are listed as 12 on the scale though. So then how close is Ultimate Compound?

Over thinking it I suppose, as a test spot will reveal what will work. However, I can't help but think that's why Meguiar's started putting a numbering system on their Mirror Glaze line of products.

To be honest I guess I wasn't considering that HD Speed could be comparable to D151 or Wolfgang AIO and I certainly forgot about that SMAT PAK article, rather, I was thinking about comparing it to the many over-the-counter AIO's with their minuscule amount of cut and using them after compounding with a rotary and being afraid of not enough cut to actually remove holograms. Probably should have thought about it a bit more before typing.

I would probably still use an AIO for its intended use though...a 1-step. When and if I compound I'd rather go straight to a polish like M205, then seal.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I've certainly done it. Job wasn't full correction, but some deep scratches were driving me nuts. Only had 8 hrs for entire job, and my interior gal had other commitments.

I hit only the deep scratches with M105 and then did the whole car with HD speed. Then I follow with liquid Souveran. I actually exceeded the deadline by a few hours the customer was elated. I also did dr color chip on all their rock chips.

dlc95
09-03-2015, 04:51 PM
I've done it a few times. M105, followed by M66.

There might be some filling of some scratches and swirls, but these people were not looking for perfection. They wanted some correction - more than what would have been available from M66 alone - and some protection for a daily driver.

I settled on this combo after seeing how difficult the finish would be to level out.