PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at swirl removal

MA5177
09-03-2015, 11:06 AM
My daughters boyfriend bought a used jeep, it's a 2007 and the paint had a ton of swirl marks in it. The jeeps is in good condition ,but has some minor dents in the hood, looks like hail or something.

Anyway I offered to polish it for him with my DA and it came out great! First we washed it then clayey it with CG OG clay and lube. Then I polished section by section with DA on speed 6 with orange 5.5 hex logic pads

Used CG VSS and finished it off with Meg's ultimate wax and some ultimate stray wax.

I'm no pro by far, just a noob learning on my own. The results were pretty good, it got rid of almost all the scratches but there are still some deeper ones I don't want to mess with. Here are a couple after pics. I forgot to take before.

JustJesus
09-03-2015, 11:56 AM
... got rid of almost all the scratches but there are still some deeper ones I don't want to mess with.

THIS was good. :xyxthumbs:

Burnt350
09-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Excellent job. It is fun learning.

Kamakaz1961
09-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Wow Very Nice!! Excellent work!! It feels good that you broke your virginity!!...LOL

Just curious what DA did you use?

MA5177
09-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Wow Very Nice!! Excellent work!! It feels good that you broke your virginity!!...LOL

Just curious what DA did you use?

I bought the polisher before I learned of this site and all the great polishers available. It's a harbor freight that I replaced the backing plate to a 5" quality model. It seems to have plenty of power and never lacks rotation even with a good amount of pressure. I may upgrade down the road, but all I really care about is maintaining my 3 cars and maybe an occasional friends so it may fit my needs just fine. Here is another pic that wouldn't load. Thanks !

Kamakaz1961
09-03-2015, 01:06 PM
I bought the polisher before I learned of this site and all the great polishers available. It's a harbor freight that I replaced the backing plate to a 5" quality model. It seems to have plenty of power and never lacks rotation even with a good amount of pressure. I may upgrade down the road, but all I really care about is maintaining my 3 cars and maybe an occasional friends so it may fit my needs just fine. Here is another pic that wouldn't load. Thanks !

Way cool!! The Harbor Freight DA is a decent DA!! Again, beautiful work. BTW, try speed setting 5 the next go around and IMO you might be able to correct quicker, however, the more important thing is you will have better control to do more "finesse" polishing.
In my experience, I have rarely gone over speed setting 5 with my PC7424 XP. Since it is similar to the HF try that.

Either way, beautiful work and if this is your 1st time you rocked it!

Peace!!

MA5177
09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
Way cool!! The Harbor Freight DA is a decent DA!! Again, beautiful work. BTW, try speed setting 5 the next go around and IMO you might be able to correct quicker, however, the more important thing is you will have better control to do more "finesse" polishing.
In my experience, I have rarely gone over speed setting 5 with my PC7424 XP. Since it is similar to the HF try that.

Either way, beautiful work and if this is your 1st time you rocked it!

Peace!!

Thanks man! I will give 5 a try next time, this is actually my second attempt at using a DA. First time was on my daughters scion that was in pretty good shape but needed a little polishing.

I clayed it then used Meg's UP on speed setting 3-4 with an orange pad because I didn't really know what I was doing.

It guess what? It came out really good also! Her car had no real visible swirl marks probably because it's silver, the red really shows. My work truck is a red 2015 Silverado that already has a ton of swirls I assume from using a .25cent car wash brush on.

I have since learned better and will correct it, the VSS seems really easy to use and works fast so I think I will stick with it but use setting 5. Also my pads got really black by the time I was done, is this normal? I was trying to keep them clean as I went but couldn't keep up, I only had 2 to work with. I will be buying more before my next job.

dlc95
09-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Very nice results!