PDA

View Full Version : Detailing with Siminoz coating

sumeri28
09-03-2015, 10:04 AM
I hate to start a new topic about this but I'm detailing a Tacoma this weekend that has this coating on it from the factory.

Can I clay bar the car? Use a sealant? Use a wax? Or should I just wash the car and it will look brand new? Thanks! Doesn't seem to be much information on this. The dealer says I can lightly clay and buff it, so does Simoniz. But when I talk to AutoGeek on the phone or my Uncle who details for a dealership they all say that any buffing and even clay could take the finish off.

conman1395
09-03-2015, 10:10 AM
I've worked on a couple cars with this coating. Here's what I do:

1. Talk to the customer and educate them on what the coating is and also explain that what protection products you offer will likely be superior anyway. Most of the time though, whether the customer understands you or not, the fact is that they already paid and have a warranty so they don't want to do anything that could compromise the warranty.

2. Then I just do what they want: Interior & Exterior, tire coatings, and any other services I offer.

I'm in a lecture right now and really should be paying attention, but Marketing is a little too common sense for me so whatever... But if I remember I can look up more info on what the Simoniz coating is made up of. Remember that claying can be enough to remove some sealants and waxes, but even a very light polish will remove some better coatings like the Duragloss Enviroshield coating.

sumeri28
09-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Thank you sooooo much! I can tell you have dealt with customers that have this. This person is concerned with their warranty, even though the product they purchased is less superior in my opinion.

I think you're right about clay but I want this guy to get the wow factor when I'm finished. Do you think it's foolish to simply wash the car extremely well (maybe twice) and use Griot's sealant? I specifically purchased the plain sealant from them because I already use the One Step and figured that product would be damaging due to the abrasives.

I appreciate you ignoring the meeting and answering this, it's a concern that I'm sure tons of people run into and aren't sure what to do.

FUNX650
09-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Have the vehicle owner read the warranty's fine
print again. Some detailing processes performed
by "outside sources" may, effectually, act to void
said warranty.

Now...
If the vehicle owner fully understands the
ramifications, and still wants you to go ahead
anyway: I'd have him put it in writing.

If he says no to that proposal...
Time to say: Sorry, but that you'll have to
take a pass on it.

Saves a lotta "possible bickering"
down the road.

Bob

sumeri28
09-03-2015, 11:29 AM
That's true Bob, and the safest way to go about it. I did call the dealership and Siminoz. Both said to wax or seal it if I want to. They have yet to email me back, wanted it in writing.

RTexasF
09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
The dealer applies that stuff not the factory. I'd steer clear of it if it is still under their "warranty" period.

conman1395
09-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Thank you sooooo much! I can tell you have dealt with customers that have this. This person is concerned with their warranty, even though the product they purchased is less superior in my opinion.

I think you're right about clay but I want this guy to get the wow factor when I'm finished. Do you think it's foolish to simply wash the car extremely well (maybe twice) and use Griot's sealant? I specifically purchased the plain sealant from them because I already use the One Step and figured that product would be damaging due to the abrasives.

I appreciate you ignoring the meeting and answering this, it's a concern that I'm sure tons of people run into and aren't sure what to do.
Oh it was just Marketing class. In a lecture hall with 500 people and going over stuff I already knew so that's my Autogeek time.