PDA

View Full Version : using too much or too little collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2

pman626
09-03-2015, 01:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvYReMjaeY

See this video and skip to 6:00 mark.

Is that too much collinite, or just right for the front door this guy is waxing?
This guy pours wax twice just for the front door.

I use much much less than that on a foam pad, and I'm wondering if I'm using too little. My car is parked outside in the sun all day, and the 845 definitely doesn't last more than a month.

When I wax, not every square inch is hazed over.

The way I put wax on the foam pad is- I press the pad tight against the bottle opening, tip the bottle and back, so that 2 dabs of wax are on the pad. Then I rub in circular motions.

When I do it, it looks like barely any wax is getting on the paint, but when I dab the window, there's definitely still wax in the pad.

lawrenceSA
09-03-2015, 04:10 AM
IMO that is too much wax for 1 door

DogRescuer
09-03-2015, 04:58 AM
"A month" ??? Something is definitely wrong, I get 6 months easy. If you explain more about your process maybe we can help.

TMQ
09-03-2015, 05:05 AM
At frame 9:10 mark. Micro fiber on driveway? Wouldn't let him touch/detail my car!

You mentioned that your 845 doesn't last more than a month. I was under the impression that collinite should at least last up to 6 months. Am I over optimistic on the merits of collinite?

Tom

main pft
09-03-2015, 07:09 AM
You should see at least 5-6 months with properly applied 845.

There is something flawed in your detail process and/or application of 845.

Search the forum for "the definitive guide to Collinite 845" . That's a good place to start.

I'd link it but I'm at work on the tapatalk app.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

CDot
09-03-2015, 07:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDvYReMjaeY

Is that too much collinite, or just right for the front door this guy is waxing?
This guy pours wax twice just for the front door.

I use much much less than that on a foam pad, and I'm wondering if I'm using too little. My car is parked outside in the sun all day, and the 845 definitely doesn't last more than a month.

The way I put wax on the foam pad is- I press the pad tight against the bottle opening, tip the bottle and back, so that 2 dabs of wax are on the pad. Then I rub in circular motions.

When I do it, it looks like barely any wax is getting on the paint, but when I dab the window, there's definitely still wax in the pad.

He used too much; his 1st application was plenty for 1 door. Colli is an "oily" wax, so a little goes a long way.

If I'm hand-applying (I like these (http://www.autogeek.net/red-ccs-applicators.html) for 845), I will use 4-5 dots when starting out to load and 3-4 when reapplying product to the pad. I like to move in straight lines to apply by hand. For the machine, I use the same technique but my dots are a little larger.

At frame 9:10 mark. Micro fiber on driveway? Wouldn't let him touch/detail my car!

I heard him mention that the MF towel was now "garbage" after he noted it being on the ground. I assume he used another to wipe the wax off?

You mentioned that your 845 doesn't last more than a month. I was under the impression that collinite should at least last up to 6 months. Am I over optimistic on the merits of collinite?

If applied correctly, Colli lasts me 5-6 months on a 24/7 outside vehicle in NC, whether it's winter or summer.

Desertnate
09-03-2015, 07:41 AM
I too get 5~6 months easily out of 845 in summer or winter. The car is garaged at night, but sits out most of the day while I'm at work.

I will typically start with 4 pea sized drops on my DA pad when starting to apply. That will cover a pretty large area. As I go the pad will absorb product and I will reduce the amount of product on the pad. Depending on the car, my last panel often doesn't need any product at all.

DogRescuer
09-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Although I do have trouble seeing the 845 on there, but when I wipe off bam its there/

main pft
09-03-2015, 08:03 AM
OK here's the link to the 845 guide I mentioned above.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40243

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

david b
09-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, seems like a lot of product. He's also applying it in direct sunlight on a hot car. I'd move it indoors or in the shade. Just my 2 cents.

Jaretr1
09-03-2015, 01:40 PM
I will also add 845 should last a lot more than 1 month. It lasted for me at least 4-5 months down in South Florida sun.

.brian.
09-03-2015, 01:48 PM
It is very difficult to use too little 845. Much easier to use too much.

extman29
09-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Too much wax just makes more work. Towels get clogged with too much wax. In my 30 years doing this, if you wash car, clay, polish, then wax, you don't need that much product. Hey, detailing products cost a ton today.

DogRescuer
09-04-2015, 04:50 AM
Too much wax just makes more work. Towels get clogged with too much wax. In my 30 years doing this, if you wash car, clay, polish, then wax, you don't need that much product. Hey, detailing products cost a ton today.

O yes

Loach
09-04-2015, 11:31 AM
That's too much for me. If I don't put 845 down thin with a DA polisher I will notice holograms and some hazing later on.

I can only speak for my experience with my particular bottle of 845 in my environment here in high humidity high heat Florida, but 845 really doesn't like to sit by itself with one coat. It doesn't matter whether I put on a super light coat or a medium coat, when I go to rinse the car down to test after waiting 24 hours, I notice less aggressive and less durable water behavior.

If I put on a second coat, and I've been doing this a few hours after putting down the first coat, once I check the water behavior it's much more aggressive and more durable throughout the rinse and soap wash test. This is on prepped paint, M205 followed up with an isopropyl alcohol wipedown. So that top coat of 845 really likes to have itself as a base, as opposed to bare clearcoat. It has consistently behaved like this for me.

Another thing is in my environment, if I let 845 sit on the paint for 40 minutes before removing, it's not going to buff off of the paint. 15 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for me. So I recommend applying a second light coat on top, let me know if you notice any difference in the durability. I'm planning on having a video up showing the difference between one and two coats for me.