PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo Dual Head Polisher or the UDM

Pages : 1 [2]

ZoranC
09-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Slow? No correctional ability? Less power than PC? Are you guys using same Cyclo I am using? With Cyclo I easily and very quickly do what it would take way much longer (if ever) to do with PC while having better safety margin than inexperienced rotary user with foam pads has. Take my PC, take my UDM, even take my Metabo (for $220 plus shipping) but don't you dare even dream of taking my Cyclo away (at least for now while I gain experience with Flex XC 3401 VRG).

LexusAussie
09-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Slow? No correctional ability? Less power than PC? Are you guys using same Cyclo I am using? With Cyclo I easily and very quickly do what it would take way much longer (if ever) to do with PC while having better safety margin than inexperienced rotary user with foam pads has. Take my PC, take my UDM, even take my Metabo (for $220 plus shipping) but don't you dare even dream of taking my Cyclo away (at least for now while I gain experience with Flex XC 3401 VRG).

You said it all dude

TOGWT
09-21-2007, 04:37 AM
I tried to compare apples with apples, if you put a rotary in the mix it is matchless for paint correction / renovation. The Cyclo /PC / UDM were not made (or IMO successfully adapted ) to do that type of work

Nica
09-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I agree with TOGWT, about comparisons...it's not really fair for me to compare the Cyclo with my Metabo. Totally different machines and totally meant for different applications.

Good point TOGWT.

ZoranC - Not sure how you can do a full paint correction with a Cyclo? (No disrespect meant just wondering that's all) Mind you I haven't used my Cyclo as much as I've used my Metabo so perhaps if I was to practice abit more with my Cyclo I could learn the tricks but I'd be curious to hear what or how you use your Cyclo.

Junebug
09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Like it was said, you can't throw a rotary in this topic - it's a different beast and has it's place as the best tool to correct serious paint issues. BUT, of the DA type machines, the one that guys reach for if they have one is the Cyclo. I had a friend tell me he come run one all day and not have numbness and thingling hands. Try that with a PC or UDM. My only issue now that I decided that I'm getting one, is what type of pads to get with it.

ZoranC
09-21-2007, 02:20 PM
I tried to compare apples with apples, if you put a rotary in the mix it is matchless for paint correction / renovation. The Cyclo /PC / UDM were not made (or IMO successfully adapted ) to do that type of work
Right now rotary is the king of heavy paint correction / renovation just because other machines do not put emphasis on power but on safety and try to balance that. However, raise power/speed on Cyclo a bit, put slightly larger pads, and you are giving a rotary run for it's money while still staying safe, just like that Swedish unit is doing (too bad it is outrageously expensive). Such designs (with 3 heads) are being used to get perfect polish of stone.

ZoranC
09-21-2007, 02:40 PM
ZoranC - Not sure how you can do a full paint correction with a Cyclo?
By using it opposite of what almost everybody is saying how to use it. Almost everybody says use just the weight of the machine. That works for very fine final polish / paint cleaning but will not do paint correction. That is how I was too doing it for a while and was wondering why I do not seem to be able to take things out with it even though Cyclo rubs 4" pad very vigorously across the surface.

Then eventually I noticed sheet metal I work on with Cyclo seemed relatively cold so I started thinking. Cyclo's design seems to be very effective in not creating focused heat / helping disperse the heat. That is what makes it safe. That is also what is working against you when trying to achieve paint correction. Lack of heat indicates lack of sufficient pressure. That polish needs pressure to properly break down. I realized that handle on the front is not there for esthetical purposes only. So I created pressure, grabbed that handle and leaned onto it. Badda bing badda boom. Correcting like nothing. Taking rotary halograms out like nothing. Me very happy. Me very likey. And boy can that thing take tons of pressure and still keep spinning.

P.S. If you take a look at ScottWax's avatar on other site and pay attention to muscles in his arm you will notice he is pressing his Cyclo down through that handle.

lcocanougher
09-21-2007, 05:10 PM
i have a UDM and love it. cyclo two heads, means two pads to change everytime when you can get the small pads for the UDM. Also I read about people having trouble breaking down opti polish with pc, let me tell you, the UDM will break it down like nothing and i use speed 4, vibration isnt bad either. Also i am new to this forum and would like to say "you guys are all great" i am addicted to this site!

ZoranC
09-21-2007, 06:56 PM
cyclo two heads, means two pads to change everytime when you can get the small pads for the UDM.
I do not understand what are you presenting as cons here. Could you please clarify?

smwalker
08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I have a PC and a makita - and I've seen the UDM in action first hand. From my experience and from reading tons of posts from users on other Forums - I believe there is a place for all types of machines. IF, price is not a big issue, I would get the Cyclo, it's hard to beat a 54 year proven record and I've never heard any complaints about it, those that have a PC and a Cyclo will tell you there's simply no comparison. That said, I'm going to be getting a Cyclo as soon as I can.

Uses twice as many pads, clean up is time 2. Some folks have money to burn I guess.

smwalker
08-01-2008, 12:27 PM
From your comment I would assume you never had one or used one for longer period of time. I have one (had it for years) and I am still (I have practically every other machine on the market too) absolutely in love with it, warts and all.

Yes, twice as many pads. But twice cheaper pads. Yes, cleaning two pads instead of one. But twice smaller pad. So I don't see your point.

Not being argumentative but my neighbor has one and he showed me how it worked on my sons car (Just did a door). I found it bulky (on door) and the pads were pretty hard (don't know if this is normal or not). I can't say I know how much those pads cost so if it is half the price of a normal pad then I miss spoke. If it is more than half then I don't see the extra money. Perhaps I am cheaper than most. I think I was right about the clean up, cleaning twice as many pads is twice as many. That is unless you throw the old pads away. I am glad you enjoy your machine and meant no offense Cyclo owners. I am just waiting for a 7424. Santa should bring it at Christmas time.