PDA

View Full Version : New to using a buffer.

Pages : [1] 2

mk3f.t.w.
09-02-2015, 01:10 PM
The cars:
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/368e942709fe96e33f73da2fa5c9de85.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/2da5b87b6682312a68e81059452e06cb.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/b21344710418f2cef24f3a732da310a2.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/75786982f58a435de3561b537671caf3.jpg
So I have never used a buffer. I'm new and not sure what compounds, polishes, waxes etc to use. I do the basics to keep the car clean: wash, clay bar and body shine, wax, Polish wheels.

Any tips or advice is appreciated. The buffer I was given is a basic craftsman, but it's better than nothing.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/02/73247f59d9ca82343f411f4272cf23b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rsurfer
09-02-2015, 01:33 PM
It's only slightly better than nothing. Good for applying wax if that. There are a ton of threads on polishing and on Youtube.

Rsurfer
09-02-2015, 02:25 PM
You can also check out Mike Phillip's book on detailing here on Auto Geek.

ski2
09-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding the style of buffer you have: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/25148-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html But this is one case I don't agree with Mike as IMO they would make it more difficult to spread wax or sealant than doing it by hand.

If you really want to take your paint to the next level you need to get a PC, Griots or Megs buffer designed to remove swirls. Even the Harbor Frieght 6" Orbital buffer will do a good job if you want to keep the cost down (about $50).

mk3f.t.w.
09-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Thanks! ^ I have some reading and some research to do!

Hoytman
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm going to get laughed at...ask me if I care.

I say it's better than nothing for sure, and it's certainly better than using your hands. Sure, they're not ideal polishers for today considering there are much better polishers made and offered today.

I have an old two handed version of a Craftsmen orbital 10". If it was fitted with a Velcro backing plate so that different pads could be put on it would be a beast on large panels even for compounding. It would be great for AIO's, or cleaner waxes. Pretty tough to use it in smaller areas, but great on large panels.

Some here feel they're boat anchors (they are still being made by manufacturers today), and while I understand their reasoning for stating such when compared with more modern polishers, sometimes you have to use what you have. I understand that.

The only problem with posting about it on a forum like this is that most either can't or won't help you because they use more modern tools or they don't sell pads/bonnets that will fit what you have, though AG may offer at least bonnets to fit that machine. If you search online you can still find pads and bonnets to fit that machine.

Some here say they're aren't powerful. I disagree 100%...at least with regard to that old machine I have because all 290lbs. of me has tried to stop it and I can't...rotating or oscillating. It has tons of power. If only the smaller versions of that polisher had as much power.

If I had pads to fit my machine it would be a joy to use on large vans and RV's. Then again, both arms would get tired compared to using my G110v2 and my rotary. Modern polishers (PC7424, Griots, G110v2, etc.,) have so many more advantages though.

Try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, then Ultimate Wax.

MIsnowman
09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Aren't the orbital polishers/"wax spreaders" a shorter stroke than other DAs? I'm not even sure it would be called stroke with these since they just kind of vibrate around. I think the lack of "stroke" is what makes them not effective for paint correction, not necessarily a lack of power.

Hoytman
09-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Aren't the orbital polishers/"wax spreaders" a shorter stroke than other DAs? I'm not even sure it would be called stroke with these since they just kind of vibrate around. I think the lack of "stroke" is what makes them not effective for paint correction, not necessarily a lack of power.

Not mine. Think Dyna-brade dual action rotary attachment type of stroke...which I have. No...my Craftsmen has a huge throw.

Rsurfer
09-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Not mine. Think Dyna-brade dual action rotary attachment type of stroke...which I have. No...my Craftsmen has a huge throw.
Will it reach the trash can?:props:

BillE
09-03-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm going to get laughed at...ask me if I care.

I say it's better than nothing for sure, and it's certainly better than using your hands. Sure, they're not ideal polishers for today considering there are much better polishers made and offered today.

I have an old two handed version of a Craftsmen orbital 10". If it was fitted with a Velcro backing plate so that different pads could be put on it would be a beast on large panels even for compounding. It would be great for AIO's, or cleaner waxes. Pretty tough to use it in smaller areas, but great on large panels.

Some here feel they're boat anchors (they are still being made by manufacturers today), and while I understand their reasoning for stating such when compared with more modern polishers, sometimes you have to use what you have. I understand that.

The only problem with posting about it on a forum like this is that most either can't or won't help you because they use more modern tools or they don't sell pads/bonnets that will fit what you have, though AG may offer at least bonnets to fit that machine. If you search online you can still find pads and bonnets to fit that machine.

Some here say they're aren't powerful. I disagree 100%...at least with regard to that old machine I have because all 290lbs. of me has tried to stop it and I can't...rotating or oscillating. It has tons of power. If only the smaller versions of that polisher had as much power.

If I had pads to fit my machine it would be a joy to use on large vans and RV's. Then again, both arms would get tired compared to using my G110v2 and my rotary. Modern polishers (PC7424, Griots, G110v2, etc.,) have so many more advantages though.

Try Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, then Ultimate Wax.

I have/had a 6" Sears "wax spreader"...played with it, removed all the original plate 'stuff'. Put some OTC Velcro on the plate. Slapped a LC 6-1/2" White pad on it.

Yea! It did work! Not the best, but the price was right AND fun to try.

As I think back, I believe I first saw this idea here, When? Not a clue.

Bill

Hoytman
09-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Will it reach the trash can?:props::laughing:

mk3f.t.w.
09-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Its simple

Go to harbor freight give the 20% coupon and get the DA for 50 dollars.

If your in a rush you can buy the pads there however there trash and you have to buy a better backing plate anyway cause the one that comes with it is stiff and trash.

Order online a 5 inch plate and some 5.5 inch lake country pads meguiars foam disc pads, etc.

Stay away from hex logic there a waste of money because the velcro rips once the pad gets hot (in one day i ruined a white orange green yellow and red) on a porter cable of all things they really are trash.

After you order the pads you can start by ordering a quality compound and polish.

I would recommend something user friendly. Easy to work and whipe off.

If you want to keep it simple you can go to wal mart and pick up ultimate compound 8.99 and ultimate polish 7.99

Harbor freight sells Meguiars 105 ultra cut compound and 205 ultra finishing polish.

However 105 is a pain to work with it dusts and in high heat or
humidity or cold weather its a pain to work with and whipe off.

However it's a good product but it could be frustrating for me and i been polishing for years.

That setup is safe and you will get pretty good results.

After a while once you get familiar with the technique and understand how this works you can get better stuff

mk3f.t.w.
09-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Its simple

Go to harbor freight give the 20% coupon and get the DA for 50 dollars.

If your in a rush you can buy the pads there however there trash and you have to buy a better backing plate anyway cause the one that comes with it is stiff and trash.

Order online a 5 inch plate and some 5.5 inch lake country pads meguiars foam disc pads, etc.

Stay away from hex logic there a waste of money because the velcro rips once the pad gets hot (in one day i ruined a white orange green yellow and red) on a porter cable of all things they really are trash.

After you order the pads you can start by ordering a quality compound and polish.

I would recommend something user friendly. Easy to work and whipe off.

If you want to keep it simple you can go to wal mart and pick up ultimate compound 8.99 and ultimate polish 7.99

Harbor freight sells Meguiars 105 ultra cut compound and 205 ultra finishing polish.

However 105 is a pain to work with it dusts and in high heat or
humidity or cold weather its a pain to work with and whipe off.

However it's a good product but it could be frustrating for me and i been polishing for years.

That setup is safe and you will get pretty good results.

After a while once you get familiar with the technique and understand how this works you can get better stuff

Awesome! Thanks for all the good info! I appreciate it. After some of the other guys mentioned the harbor freight setup I was looking into it. Thanks for the insider tip on the compounds, Polish, pads, backing plate etc.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Awesome! Thanks for all the good info! I appreciate it. After some of the other guys mentioned the harbor freight setup I was looking into it. Thanks for the insider tip on the compounds, Polish, pads, backing plate etc.

No problem its a pretty good machine for the price.

You can get the same results with a harbor freight da as a rupes, flex, rotary it will just take longer more passes more product more patience.

After you learn the technique you eill outgrow it tho once the bug bites you thats it kiss your "spare money" goodbye lol