PDA

View Full Version : Mike Phillips: Small pad question

Hoytman
09-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I've copied and pasted a comment from another thread that you made and I hope that I haven't taken those comments too far out of context, but they did spur a little question that I'd like to ask you.

Here's the quote, and if I've taken it out of context, then I apologize.

My experience is when buffing with small pads there's an increased risk for leaving marring versus larger pads. You're using a very small pad.
:)

It seems these days the pads keep getting smaller and smaller all the way down from 3" pads, to 2" pads, and even 1" pads and respective backing plates. That said...

How concerned should we be of marring the paint when buffing with these small pads?

How much does the tool, dual action vs rotary, factor into this? (I think the rotary would be the biggest concern, but for the sake of those reading I thought I'd include the da in my last question. I may even learn something new.)

Can you get by without any of these, or better yet, which of these smaller sizes do you find yourself using most often?

Meghan
09-02-2015, 01:45 PM
Mike is traveling today but I am sure one of these guys can kick in an answer.

Inuyashas_bro
09-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Related question: when using a 3 inch pad, do we need to lower the DA polisher to half the speed of a 5.5 inch pad (setting 6 to 3) since the smaller pad will spin much faster?

I once had a 3 inch plate once fly out of my DA because it ended up spinning too fast, and it scratched my car =(

AGOatemywallet
09-03-2015, 10:15 PM
Related question: when using a 3 inch pad, do we need to lower the DA polisher to half the speed of a 5.5 inch pad (setting 6 to 3) since the smaller pad will spin much faster?

I once had a 3 inch plate once fly out of my DA because it ended up spinning too fast, and it scratched my car =(

Actually, the opposite is true

At the same machine speed; outer edge of a small pad is rotating much slower than on a 5" or 6" pad

Riff
09-03-2015, 10:58 PM
I think the downward force is the biggest variable. If you use the same force on a smaller pad as a large pad, that will mean a lot more pressure and a lot more heat created on the panel.

BillE
09-04-2015, 06:53 AM
I think the downward force is the biggest variable. If you use the same force on a smaller pad as a large pad, that will mean a lot more pressure and a lot more heat created on the panel.

That's my thinking also.

Much more 'everything' concentrated into a smaller area.

Bill

Mike Phillips
09-04-2015, 09:07 AM
I've copied and pasted a comment from another thread that you made and I hope that I haven't taken those comments too far out of context, but they did spur a little question that I'd like to ask you.

Here's the quote, and if I've taken it out of context, then I apologize.

It seems these days the pads keep getting smaller and smaller all the way down from 3" pads, to 2" pads, and even 1" pads and respective backing plates. That said...

How concerned should we be of marring the paint when buffing with these small pads?

How much does the tool, dual action vs rotary, factor into this? (I think the rotary would be the biggest concern, but for the sake of those reading I thought I'd include the da in my last question. I may even learn something new.)

Can you get by without any of these, or better yet, which of these smaller sizes do you find yourself using most often?

Great questions Bill.....

I think the other guys that have posted in this thread are right about the pressure being applied to a smaller surface as being a factor and the key idea is the person buffing with smaller pads has to tweak their technique if they are used to buffing with larger pads.

Also the marring I was talking about would be more specific to buffing with smaller cutting pads simply because the pads are more aggressive than polishing and finishing pads.

This is why if a person is going to be using small pads on a rotary buffer or even a dual action polisher (even the RUPES TA50, (think really small), you want to make sure you have a range of pads on hand and be sure to follow any aggressive compounding or correction work with softer pads and finer polishes.

Make sense?

I'm at the Chicago O'Hare Airport with Bob and we're getting ready to board our flight so if you have any follow up questions I'll get to them next week.

:)

Hoytman
09-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Mike. Makes perfect sense.