PDA

View Full Version : AIO and My Fiances Jeep

JonRC
09-01-2015, 01:23 PM
I recently preformed my first detail on my own car and would like to do something for my fiancee next. She parks outdoors all year so i want something that lasts long but i also don't have that long to work on the car, 4 hours tops.

She drives a 2014 White Jeep Compass (I can't tell if it has a clear coat :confused: I'm guessing it does because of the year but it doesn't really appear to be there.)

My question is what AIO would you use on this this type of car. I need to work in the sun. Poli-Seal and XMT360 are at the top of my list. Are there any other products i should consider. Price/value and no staining or white flaking is always top of my priority.

Also how do you work on the top. do you open the door and step up to work on it.

High Caliber
09-01-2015, 02:08 PM
She drives a 2014 White Jeep Compass (I can't tell if it has a clear coat :confused: I'm guessing it does because of the year but it doesn't really appear to be there.)

--If you're looking for long term protection sealer is the way to go over wax. If you want to correct the paint slightly "remove light swirls and protect, then the AIOs you mentioned and these two below is the direction you should head.

--Per this site, white has clear on it.2014 Jeep Compass Exterior Paint Colors and Interior Trim Colors | Autobytel.com (http://www.autobytel.com/jeep/compass/2014/color/)

My question is what AIO would you use on this this type of car. I need to work in the sun. Poli-Seal and XMT360 are at the top of my list. Are there any other products i should consider. Price/value and no staining or white flaking is always top of my priority.

--I hear good things about HD Speed, but I use Menzerna 3n1 and like the results a lot. Check out this post.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/products-guides/94790-menzerna-3in1-vs-hd-speed.html

Also how do you work on the top. do you open the door and step up to work on it.[/QUOTE]

--It will be tough as you most likely will have to hang on with one hand and either hang onto your DA polisher or whatever applicator pad you will use. You will be in for some elbow grease if you go with an AIO and don't have a DualAction polisher.

--Here's a link just scroll down on the first page and read Mike Phillips post.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/71408-about-compound-polish-aio.html

Jaretr1
09-01-2015, 02:34 PM
If you have a DA polisher, XMT360 is as easy as an AIO as there is, and works very well on white paint. It has excellent cleaning abilities. There are other AIO's that have more cut, but XMT360 will leave the car nice and shiny and restore the brightness of the paint.

barkeater
09-01-2015, 02:48 PM
doing a proper wash, debug/detar, decon (i.e., iron-x, etc.), wash, clay, wash, your going to be into a couple hrs right there. A DA would make the process go a lot faster, but you'd be hard pressed to get 'er done in 2 hrs. I'm not trying to pee on your parade, just trying to share my limited experience with how long the process takes. Applying just a sealant by hand would be relatively quick as there is no real buffing involved.

JonRC
09-01-2015, 03:39 PM
You guys are a big help :) I'll look into the 3-1 a bit too. I was thinking the XMT360 because i don't really want to correct much and it shouldn't take much more than a regular wax.

I was planning on:
Rinsing
ONR pre-soak
CG APC (25:1) on bug/tar/sap
CG APC (10:1) on wheels & tires
Finish Washing Everything (20 min)
Optimum fine speedy clay block (40min)
Wash & Dry (20min)
AIO (20-60min)
---------------------Maybe
Trim Cleaner / Dressing (20min)
Tire Dressing (10min)
Engine Wash (20min)

Is there a good spray type dressing good for Tire, Trim, Engine, and Inside semi-gloss, and dry to the touch so it doesn't get dusty

whavens
09-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Using an AIO will take longer than using a regular wax. You will do more passes to take advantage of the cleaning capabilities of the product.

As for the top, I would get at least one of the work platforms. They can be had for under $30 and are the best for reaching that height. I have two of them and use them frequently.

Walter

:buffing:

JonRC
09-01-2015, 04:41 PM
If you have a DA polisher, XMT360 is as easy as an AIO as there is, and works very well on white paint. It has excellent cleaning abilities. There are other AIO's that have more cut, but XMT360 will leave the car nice and shiny and restore the brightness of the paint.

Do you know if Poli-Seal is any good. Eg. Dusting and working in the Sun. The only reason i haven't settled on XMT is that is rather expensive compared to Poli-Seal and i think i might want to fix my grandfathers car (dark Blue lots of bad swirls) and Fathers Truck (Grey and huge).