PDA

View Full Version : Paint is no longer smooth

Pages : [1] 2

AutoApollo
09-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi all, I've just finished detailing my ford focus that has had no previous detailing done. I started off with a two bucket wash followed by a clay bar. Next I used meguiars ultimate compound with an orange pad and ultimate polish with a white pad. All performed with a griots garage 6in orbital buffer. Lastly I used their gold class paste wax with a black pad. The car now looks fantastic and feels buttery smooth. But after just two washes and two weeks later, the car's paint no longer feels buttery smooth. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Tell us about how you are washing, what is your soap/dilution, what wash media? Water quality? How is the car parked, outside, inside, under trees, do you live near railroad tracks or park at work near any industrial facilities?

AutoApollo
09-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Hi, I use meguiars gold class soap diluted in a 5 gal bucket. I use a expensive wool mitt and apply light pressure when washing. Between each panel I rub the mitt across the grit guard in the bucket to rid of any dirt. The car is always in the shade and I make sure the paint is nice and cool. I live in a residential area with railroad tracks up on a hill about 500m away.

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2015, 08:58 AM
What soap dilution are you using? Is the car parked outside overnight?

I guess I just presumed that you were saying that the paint now felt "rough", but re-reading what you said--are you saying that the paint no longer feels "slick"? It's still smooth (as in not rough), but doesn't have that "just waxed" feel?

As an old forum friend Mosca used to say, "the best way to get that just waxed look is to have just waxed".

Mike Phillips
09-01-2015, 09:03 AM
As an old forum friend Mosca used to say,

"the best way to get that just waxed look is to have just waxed".

Actually, that's mine. :D

Here's how I originally said it....

If you want your car to look like it was just waxed then wax it.

:D

Mike Phillips
09-01-2015, 09:06 AM
But after just two washes and two weeks later, the car's paint no longer feels buttery smooth. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Is the car parked outside all the time?

It's possible there's some type of airborne contaminants landing on the paint on a regular basis. For example, tree sap mist. On a hot day green plants/trees can emit fine droplets of tree sap that can become airborne and land on your car's paint.

Worse if you park under a tree on a hot day. Then there's industrial fallout. Traffic pollution if you live in an area that's densely populated with a lot of car traffic like Los Angeles. And then there's always airborne overspray paint. Like a housing project where a tract of houses are being painted by spray gun.

Have you ever done the baggie test?

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

:)

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Sorry Mike, I guess that was before my time, I just remember Mosca using that as his signature over on MOL--you ever hear from him?

AutoApollo
09-01-2015, 10:34 AM
The car is still smooth but not buttery smooth. Almost like small contaminants stuck in the paint. It is parked outside and during the day can get beat on by the sun. I just don't want my hark work to go to waste (the paint correction and all). How often should I wax? Is there a good sealant from meguiars anyone recommends?

Mike Phillips
09-01-2015, 10:50 AM
The car is still smooth but not buttery smooth. Almost like small contaminants stuck in the paint. It is parked outside and during the day can get beat on by the sun.

The slickness of a fresh coat of wax will wear off. The slickness of a sealant will wear off too, not usualy as fast.

The slickness of some paint coatings probably lasts the longest.

Take a look at the DP Paint Coating, it's easy to use and leaves the paint feeling very slick. Not all paint coatings do this.

Another option is to learn how to use a waterless wash and a spray wax. Waterless wash to remove dirt and dust.

A spray wax is to boost wax protection, gloss and shine and the one I link to below really does a great job of imparting a slick feel to the paint. The key point being you need to use something to clean off any dirt before using a spray wax. You don't use a spray wax to remove dirt. Make sense?

Personal favorite

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/92441-review-new-blackfire-midnight-sun-carnauba-spray-wax.html)

Besides that you're dealing with a daily driver.

Mike Phillips
09-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Sorry Mike, I guess that was before my time, I just remember Mosca using that as his signature over on MOL--you ever hear from him?

About a year ago or so...

He was always a nice guy in the forum world and always willing to help others.

AutoApollo
09-01-2015, 10:53 AM
The slickness of a fresh coat of wax will wear off. The slickness of a sealant will wear off too, not usualy as fast.

The slickness of some paint coatings probably lasts the longest.

Take a look at the DP Paint Coating, it's easy to use and leaves the paint feeling very slick. Not all paint coatings do this.

Another option is to learn how to use a waterless wash and a spray wax. Waterless wash to remove dirt and dust.

A spray wax is to boost wax protection, gloss and shine and the one I link to below really does a great job of imparting a slick feel to the paint. The key point being you need to use something to clean off any dirt before using a spray wax. You don't use a spray wax to remove dirt. Make sense?

Personal favorite

Review - NEW BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Carnauba Spray Wax! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/92441-review-new-blackfire-midnight-sun-carnauba-spray-wax.html)

Besides that you're dealing with a daily driver.

The thing is. I have been using the "quik spray wax" from meguiars and I can do maybe 5 waxes with it. It just seems expensive!!

Jaretr1
09-01-2015, 11:03 AM
I live in a residential area with railroad tracks up on a hill about 500m away.

BINGO! You are probably getting fallout from the railroad tracks on the paint. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent that other than covering your car. The rust particles as well as other environmental fallout is a part of life. I work under an airport approach and after a few weeks my cars paint feels like sandpaper as well.

You might want to look at added Ironx to your use as that will help dissolve the iron particles being deposited to your paint.

As far as using an entire bottle of Megs Spray wax in 5 applications, you are using way to much. It should last a lot longer. With that said, consider trying some other spray waxes like the new Blackfire or XMT Spray wax. XMT is a great value.

AutoApollo
09-01-2015, 11:07 AM
BINGO! You are probably getting fallout from the railroad tracks on the paint. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent that other than covering your car. The rust particles as well as other environmental fallout is a part of life. I work under an airport approach and after a few weeks my cars paint feels like sandpaper as well.

You might want to look at added Ironx to your use as that will help dissolve the iron particles being deposited to your paint.

As far as using an entire bottle of Megs Spray wax in 5 applications, you are using way to much. It should last a lot longer. With that said, consider trying some other spray waxes like the new Blackfire or XMT Spray wax. XMT is a great value.

Damn train tracks! Thanks for the info :)

Mike Phillips
09-01-2015, 11:32 AM
I live in a residential area with railroad tracks up on a hill about 500m away.

I agree.... the steel wheels riding against the steel train tracks creates metal particles that become air borne.

Also, next time you hear a train go by listen for the

Clack Clack

Thats when the wheels hit the space between two sets of tracks and there's more wear from this contact.

Iron X is your friend.

Iron X - Bleeding like a stuck pig (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/86147-iron-x-bleeding-like-stuck-pig.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83395

The Guz
09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
The thing is. I have been using the "quik spray wax" from meguiars and I can do maybe 5 waxes with it. It just seems expensive!!

Which one are you using? Ultimate Quik Wax or the one in the burgundy bottle?