PDA

View Full Version : Does D151 need topped?

Pages : [1] 2

ngonzi
08-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Thinking about using D151 on some new customers cars. Should I add a lsp? I was thinking maybe 845.

brondondolon
08-31-2015, 11:13 PM
D151 has wax in it and from my experiece finishes off pretty nice. But its an AIO so you cant expect it to be as protective as 845. So its up to you if its worth the extra 30+ min

ngonzi
08-31-2015, 11:17 PM
I feel like the beading and longevity of 845 might leave a good impression. I have yet to use D151.

parttimer
09-01-2015, 06:33 AM
If they are paying for a one step why do two? If you are going to do two, do menz 2500 or something similar then top it.

FUNX650
09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
No; not really.

Bob

Firehouse Mike
09-01-2015, 09:38 AM
I give a quick wipe down with D156 afterwards. Gives a bit more pop to it i think and I can pick up any missed residue left behind.

Mike

dcjredline
09-01-2015, 10:06 AM
No as Bob said, it does not need LSP. Good idea...maybe

jrs1418
09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
It depends on if you care about your customers or not. People with think "It was just waxed" for at least 6 mos.

I never did a durability test on D151, but from what i've read it'll only last about a month or so. IMO that's not enough for my customers.. so I'll always either top with 845 or KHGSG.

The ONLY time i'll use an AIO as a lsp is if the customer is flipping the car.

cardaddy
09-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Sure, it does just fine by itself, but I wouldn't expect durability over a couple weeks at best. (For an un-garaged daily driver.) For your typical customer, wash-n-wax I'd say top it with 156 or (my favorite) DG AquaWax. (Have both in gallons, but use AW 3:1 over 156.) I can tell you that AW durability (especially as it gets layered) can be 3~4 months.

Can you use something that has even more durability? SURE! But if they never need to come back then you're losing money. :dunno: For more durability you can always use any of a plethora of liquid waxes, be that 845, ULW, you name it.

dcjredline
09-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I have had one car 2004 Hyundai Elantra that the customer NEVER even washes her car and it is outside 24/7. Used D151 and about 4 months later when I saw the car again for a W&W I asked her if she was "cheating on me" and had someone else do something to it. She said no. The car was beading like mad. Ive not seen that since but it does last over a month for me usually.

conman1395
09-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Sure, it does just fine by itself, but I wouldn't expect durability over a couple weeks at best. (For an un-garaged daily driver.) For your typical customer, wash-n-wax I'd say top it with 156 or (my favorite) DG AquaWax. (Have both in gallons, but use AW 3:1 over 156.) I can tell you that AW durability (especially as it gets layered) can be 3~4 months.

Can you use something that has even more durability? SURE! But if they never need to come back then you're losing money. :dunno: For more durability you can always use any of a plethora of liquid waxes, be that 845, ULW, you name it.
You're diluting Aquawax? Why?

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-02-2015, 11:29 AM
No point of using an AIO if your going to top it

cardaddy
09-02-2015, 07:32 PM
You're diluting Aquawax? Why?

Noooooooooooo.... that's not what I said.

What I was saying was that I'll use Aquawax 3 times to 1 over Megs 156.

Yeah but D151, while *having* (what they call) "wax" in it, doesn't provide any real longevity. The real strength of 151 (and most all AIO's) is the ability to correct with one step as opposed to a multi-step process. For me... if I'm going to the trouble to break out a buffer and half a dozen pads, I just can't see not (at least) taking the time to hit it with some sort of spray wax/sealant. Better yet, a true sealant (but only of course if that's priced into a package).

And no point in using anything out there and topping it for that matter. Like say a sealant with #26, or a coating with a 'topper', or a sealant with a quality paste wax..... and the list goes on.

The reality however is that topping provides a better look, better shine, and better protection.:props:

DogRescuer
09-03-2015, 05:09 AM
It depends on if you care about your customers or not. People with think "It was just waxed" for at least 6 mos.

I never did a durability test on D151, but from what i've read it'll only last about a month or so. IMO that's not enough for my customers.. so I'll always either top with 845 or KHGSG.

The ONLY time i'll use an AIO as a lsp is if the customer is flipping the car.

I totally agree with this customers returning are important to me, that Xtra time you spend on that lsp over aio is well worth it.

DogRescuer
09-03-2015, 05:11 AM

I disagree, the aio will clean the paint some