PDA

View Full Version : Mytee 8070 keeps tripping circuit breaker

Pages : [1] 2

LSNAutoDetailing
08-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Realize this isn't a detailing 101 topic. Hoping there are some electricians on the forum.

I have a new Mytee 8070 that when on for 5 minutes trips my circuit breaker. I've made sure nothing else is using power on that circuit.

The panel is old, late 70's and could use an update, but that is $$$. Is updating my panel my only option? (Aside from not using the extractor of
Course..)

BillE
09-01-2015, 06:28 AM
I just looked at the required circuit needs...says to use a 20 amp outlet.

Using the usual 15A, will overload the breaker.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2015, 06:41 AM
The panel is old, late 70's and could use an update, but that is $$$. Is updating my panel my only option? (Aside from not using the extractor of
Course..)

As Bill noted, the Mytee Lite is a 20A machine (a fact that should be more prominently noted in the AG and Mytee advertising). It has nothing to do with your electrical panel being "old", it has to do with the wiring not having sufficient ampacity (the circuit breaker is sized to the wire, not to the load, the wire has to be sized to the load and then it will have a sufficiently sized circuit breaker).

Consult an electrician and see if the circuit can be upsized or if you can run a new circuit to power the machine.

FUNX650
09-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Stating the obvious:
The circuit is probably being overloaded.

But, instead of me suggesting "the cure" for
an electrical problem...sight unseen...It sounds
like you really need to get a couple of estimates
from your local Electricians to, at the very least,
bring that particular electrical circuit up to Code.

Sure it will cost some $$$...
But lessening the possibilities of an
electrical fire, (and in keeping you and
your Family's safety in mind) is well
worth it, IMO.

Bob

LSNAutoDetailing
09-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Thank you all! Calling my favorite local electrician this morning.

BillE
09-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Just gonna add this possible warning.

Neighbor (from where we lived prior) was having the same problem, overloading the 15A circuit. Called "an electrician," the door knob just replaced the breaker with a 20Amper! Still had the original 14AWG wire! Lucky another neighbor noticed it, and we were able to rewire the circuit very easily.

What I'm trying to say is, the wiring MUST match the amperage of the installed circuit breaker.

Make sense?

Bill

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Neighbor (from where we lived prior) was having the same problem, overloading the 15A circuit. Called "an electrician," the door knob just replaced the breaker with a 20Amper!

What I'm trying to say is, the wiring MUST match the amperage of the installed circuit breaker. Make sense?

Unfortunately, a lot of people can't grasp this (there is a reason electricians are licensed). I know there are a lot of people who do electrical work on the side...you always hope they are people who work F/T for a licensed electrician, and not some yo-yo like you describe above.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-01-2015, 08:22 AM
I'm calling an electrician who I have used regularly. They have a large operation with many employees, lots of trucks, fully insured, the whole 9 yards.

I have one other question, what do you all do with the hot water hose that is near the handle. Sometimes that hits my hand or writs, and wow! that burns. Wish there was some kind of shield... I've seen some use duct tape?

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2015, 08:28 AM
I have one other question, what do you all do with the hot water hose that is near the handle. Sometimes that hits my hand or writs, and wow! that burns. Wish there was some kind of shield... I've seen some use duct tape?

Mytee now makes a product called A104 Heatguard Hose Wraps--they don't seem to sell them here.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Mytee now makes a product called A104 Heatguard Hose Wraps--they don't seem to sell them here.

Thank you!

KS_Detailing
09-01-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm calling an electrician who I have used regularly. They have a large operation with many employees, lots of trucks, fully insured, the whole 9 yards.

I wear some husky work gloves whenever i use the extractor or steamer

johnpingol
09-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Paul,
If you are using a extension cord make sure it can handle 20amps.
The light duty cords also will trip the breaker.

John

LSNAutoDetailing
09-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Paul,

John

This is what I'm using. This could be the culprit - 9amps.

RFrommann
09-01-2015, 10:39 PM
when in doubt, always plug directly to the wall to rule out extension cords.

Setec Astronomy
09-02-2015, 01:14 AM
Paul,

This is what I'm using. This could be the culprit - 9amps.

That's just not how Ohm's Law works--if you increase the resistance of the circuit the current will go down, making it less likely that you will trip the breaker. However if you are using an undersized extension cord, you may overheat the cord.