PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for large scrapes in paint

eeguy
08-31-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi guys,

I have a couple of pretty gnarly scratches on my car, one self inflicted and the other inherited from the previous owner (it looks like there was a poor attempt made to cover this up). I've been looking for products to improve these areas, but most of what I'm finding is intended to repair small scratches and not scrapes. Is there anything available that would be more suited for this, and more importantly, would self repairing this likely wind up making it look worse? I haven't brought it around to body shops yet and likely don't intend to since I imagine this would cost several hundred to fix.

http://i60.tinypic.com/335b69e.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/syw1ug.jpg

Thanks! Feed back please

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2015, 01:18 PM
That first one, as you noted, someone has already touched up, perhaps even the rust spots and they came back. You can certainly clean the rust off, apply some primer then paint, and sand it back a little and polish and it will look better...than rust.

The second pic with the paint transfer--you can probably get all that off. The black exposed substrate on the bumper won't rust (since that's plastic). You're going to want to try some mineral spirits since that looks like it's not car paint, that may take most of it off, then you will be left with what's ground into the vehicle paint.

I'm guessing you don't have a machine, I'd say go to a local chain store and get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and some cotton terry or microfiber applicators and give what's left a good rub. You should be able to make it look much better.

eeguy
08-31-2015, 02:09 PM
That first one, as you noted, someone has already touched up, perhaps even the rust spots and they came back. You can certainly clean the rust off, apply some primer then paint, and sand it back a little and polish and it will look better...than rust.

The second pic with the paint transfer--you can probably get all that off. The black exposed substrate on the bumper won't rust (since that's plastic). You're going to want to try some mineral spirits since that looks like it's not car paint, that may take most of it off, then you will be left with what's ground into the vehicle paint.

I'm guessing you don't have a machine, I'd say go to a local chain store and get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and some cotton terry or microfiber applicators and give what's left a good rub. You should be able to make it look much better.

I didn't think it was paint transfer in the second picture since the scrape was from a rusty guardrail, and I figured the paint was just scraped down to the primer. However, maybe the mark can be mostly removed. Will give it a try and report back.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2015, 02:30 PM
I didn't think it was paint transfer in the second picture since the scrape was from a rusty guardrail, and I figured the paint was just scraped down to the primer. However, maybe the mark can be mostly removed. Will give it a try and report back.

Rust transfer? You know better than me what happened. I presumed that was paint and was on the surface because of those other spots where you are down to (black) plastic. It's possible it's not going to play out as I described if that's not what I thought it was.

eeguy
08-31-2015, 07:15 PM
Setec,

I forgot to stop at an autoparts store on the way home to get some compound so I just pulled out some rubbing alcohol (I'm guessing that's a no-no on paint?? but I tried it anyway since my vehicle isn't worth much) and a paper towel to give your suggestion a go. And wow, what an immediate improvement. If only I had asked or thought of this a year ago.

Here is a quick look at the difference.

http://i60.tinypic.com/1j6v0g.jpg

Do you have any suggestions on vehicle paint? Perhaps you've tried the duplicolor auto paints or another system?