PDA

View Full Version : Removing Flaking Headlight Clearcoat

PurpleTowel
08-30-2015, 11:47 PM
Hey all,

I own a 2012 VW GTI that the previous owner installed an aftermarket set of headlights on, that replicate the factory Bi-Xenon lamps found on the Golf R. One of the known issues with these particular lights are peeling clearcoat on the lenses. Mine are at about 50% covered at this point, with the clearcoat flaked off horizontally across the center of the lamp.

It's easily the most frustrating aesthetic of this car next to my scratched driver's side window tint. Some of the other owners of these lights have sent them back, but I'm not the original owner, and I don't have the OE lights, so that's not going to happen.

Some owners who have had issues with these lights have taken them out and sanded them down, polished and re-cleared, which requires the bumper to be removed to access the mounting points. Not really high on my list of things to do.

Anyone have any tips or ideas for removing the existing flaking clearcoat from the plastic lenses to allow for a complete polish to a like-new finish? I'm open to just about any idea at this point, as my last resort is to remove and replace with a better headlight.

I'll post photos in the AM so you can see the issues as they stand now.

Cheers,

Doug

TheAverageMan
08-31-2015, 02:25 AM
Is it external only? If so, just tape up and newspaper aroun it, then go to town wet or damp sanding it till uniform, then hand compound and polish. Then spray it with some rustoleum clearcoat in a can.

barkeater
08-31-2015, 09:44 AM
taking off the bumper is a 10 minute job. About 8 screws below and four in each wheel well. There is a nice DIY at the vortex website, but it is really easy and nearly as easy to put back on (one man job). Best way to access headlights. However, you can just tape off the area around the headlight cover and sand away. start with 320 grit and work your way to 1500 (wet), followed by a plastic polish. The problem is not getting the old UV coat off, and getting them clear again, but reapplying a UV coating so they don't turn hazy after 3 days. There are some aftermarket UV coatings out there. Just do a search on AGO and you'll find what your looking for.

Some aftermarket VW headlight housings are economical enough to just replace as opposed to fussing around with restore. However, they are also of lower quality and not worth it imho. Hella is best for aftermarket replacement. Check ECS Performance website.

Mike Phillips
08-31-2015, 10:05 AM
Anyone have any tips or ideas for removing the existing flaking clearcoat from the plastic lenses to allow for a complete polish to a like-new finish?

Doug

Hi Doug,

As already mentioned, the "best" way to restore any headlight that has a failing OEM coating or an aftermarket failing coating is to 100 percent sand it off.

If you don't sand it all the way off you'll always see the ragged line between coating and no coating.

I just did a complete removal of the OEM coating off a Ford Expedition last week and the coating still remaining was rock hard, probably hardened with age and exposure to the Florida sun.

I started with #1000 grit by hand but had I had #800 grit I would have used it first just to speed up the process. Then finished out with Mirka #4000 on a Griot's 3" DA Polisher and then buffed with Wolfgang Uber Compound.

Going to teach how to install Xpel headlight films on these headlights at my September 3-day detailing boot camp class.

:xyxthumbs:

Souldetailer
08-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Some good advice there. I don't know about the Rustoleum solution, never tried it, so I can't discount it. Buuuutttt, I believe I would take hmmmm.... Yes Mike's advice. Sand it and polish.
It's amazing what a good polishing can do. I suppose that could be a universal statement.:dblthumb2: The headlights on my wife's 2011 civic started to yellow and I bought a headlight cleaner even before I tried Menzerna 400 on them ( which I tried as I prepped the rest of the car). The headlight cleaner remains unused. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

PurpleTowel
08-31-2015, 10:58 AM
taking off the bumper is a 10 minute job. About 8 screws below and four in each wheel well. There is a nice DIY at the vortex website, but it is really easy and nearly as easy to put back on (one man job).

Oh that's awesome, thanks! I should have looked there before deciding that it was too much labor. I forget about VWvortex for DIYs, though I shouldn't (I co-founded it and as an Admin there for many years). Might have to set aside a Saturday to do it all, as there is a dead fly in the driver's side lamp. Perfect excuse to take everything apart to do it the right way.

the "best" way to restore any headlight that has a failing OEM coating or an aftermarket failing coating is to 100 percent sand it off.

I started with #1000 grit by hand but had I had #800 grit I would have used it first just to speed up the process. Then finished out with Mirka #4000 on a Griot's 3" DA Polisher and then buffed with Wolfgang Uber Compound.

Thanks Mike, I was kinda hoping there was another option outside of just sanding away at clear on a plastic lens. I experimented with various grades of wet/dry and found that 800 wasn't touching the clearcoat without a ton of labor. I may try starting with a 600 grit.

My biggest concern is going through all of the labor and having the headlights turn quickly or using an inferior clearcoat again. Do you guys prefer clearcoats, polishes/coatings or a film like Lamin-X for keeping the lamps clean and clear?

Doug

Mike Phillips
08-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks Mike, I was kinda hoping there was another option outside of just sanding away at clear on a plastic lens. I experimented with various grades of wet/dry and found that 800 wasn't touching the clearcoat without a ton of labor. I may try starting with a 600 grit.

You can start with lower grit levels of sand paper just be sure to move up the grit level scale to make buffing out your sanding marks doable.

[QUOTE=upon3;1289547]

My biggest concern is going through all of the labor and having the headlights turn quickly or using an inferior clearcoat again.

Do you guys prefer clearcoats, polishes/coatings or a film like Lamin-X for keeping the lamps clean and clear?

Doug

I"ve never used Lamin-X but I've seen great results over time with Xpel. Probably similar technology.

XPEL Headlight Protection Film Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/xpel-headlight-protection.html)

:)

Klasse Act
08-31-2015, 02:12 PM
OP, once you get these lights corrected apply LaminX to them. I'm sure they have a pre-cut kit for such a popular car. As you know or may not know they (LaminX) have clear and various shades of smoke, light blue and yellow. I had the yellow installed onto a car I bought brand new in 2007, a MINI and it looked great AND. protected the headlights from rocks and caring out.

FWIW the yellow film with hids didn't throw out a yellow color per say but rather what I called a very crisp lookin' halogen, if that makes any sense.

Good luck with your job!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

PurpleTowel
08-31-2015, 03:09 PM
FWIW the yellow film with hids didn't throw out a yellow color per say but rather what I called a very crisp lookin' halogen, if that makes any sense.

Blue Blockers!

:)

If nothing else, I'm going to get that damn fly out of the left one.