PDA

View Full Version : new car need ideas before ordering

VW Drew
08-30-2015, 08:25 PM
just bought a new Subaru crosstrek. It is quartz blue metallic. Want to place an order for labor day weekend detailing. My plan is to use my porter cable 7424.

1. claybar. mines a few years old. recommendations?
2. preclean pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion. pad recommendation?
3. wolfgang 2.0 sealant that ive got. pad recommendations?
4. poorboys black hole glaze. pad recommendations?
5. wax. have pinnacle souvern.
6. any other ideas or input?
will do the interior with products ive got already.

thanks for the advise and input.
Drew

TheAverageMan
08-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Nanoskin fine grade sponge or mitt. Normal clay is kind out outdated, except for hard to reach places.

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 09:34 PM
I've never done a Suburu, but have read a lot about how soft the paint is. Hard to recommend pads, you should have an assortment. I would think finishing pads and finessing pads. Could need polishing pads. Red wax pad for the sealant and wax. You might want to consider a coating if the paint is as soft as I have read. Hopefully some people who have worked on Suburus will chime in.

Hazcat
08-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Definitely need some IronX or similar product for your new ride. Congrats on your new family member.

07rs
08-31-2015, 04:56 AM
Subaru's have Very soft paint, I suggest a coating, I got my new wrx a couple weeks ago and used opti gloss.

VW Drew
08-31-2015, 05:02 AM
not sure how to multiquote but thank you all for your input. Can Iron X be put on the body and not harm the paint?

VW Drew
08-31-2015, 05:29 AM
ok it has been a while since ive bought supplies. Is there a list on autogeek or a complete kit for starting from scratch on a new car just picked up at the dealer? Thanks again for your input.

Mask
08-31-2015, 06:38 AM
I suggest use what you have on hands ;)
Ironx can be use on whole exterior but do not let it dry on paint.

Have a look at these too:
-HD Cut/ Polish & Speed
-sonax polymer netshield and brilliant shine detailer (non coating)
-optimum gloss coat (coating)
-Meguiars D114 ;)

Regards

Klasse Act
08-31-2015, 10:14 AM
Opti-clay towel, fine and medium grade. I would recommend using fine grade once a month for maintaining a smooth surface, like during a wash for instance and maybe the medium grade once or twice a year during a spring or fall detail. I have a speedy prep towel, fine grade and I only use it for monthly maintenance use as its not quite aggressive enough, my Opti-clay towel handles more ground in grit.

Good luck to you👍

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

shagnat
08-31-2015, 08:55 PM
some pretty good advice. not sue you need to clay bar every month unless your environment is a coal fired power plant.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-31-2015, 09:30 PM
just bought a new Subaru crosstrek. It is quartz blue metallic. Want to place an order for labor day weekend detailing. My plan is to use my porter cable 7424.

1. claybar. mines a few years old. recommendations?
2. preclean pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion. pad recommendation?
3. wolfgang 2.0 sealant that ive got. pad recommendations?
4. poorboys black hole glaze. pad recommendations?
5. wax. have pinnacle souvern.
6. any other ideas or input?
will do the interior with products ive got already.

thanks for the advise and input.
Drew

Wow, I just detailed one on Saturday, same color and all.
Slide Show (http://photos.looks-so-new-autodetailing.com/FullScreenSlideShow.aspx?gallery=4681013&mt=Photo)

1.) You'll want new clay... Or get a Nano Skin mitt if you keep clay that long.
2.) Iron-X for sure if it's new... new cars travel by rail.
3.) You'll be surprised that the new car actually will require paint correction. You should think about an AIO, or go for compound, polish and then coat. Skip doing the paint cleansing lotion, etc... Go right to compound/polish/wax-sealer or a coating. I'm sure the dealership installed some nice swirls when they prepped the car.
4.) The faux carbon fiber trim cleans up nicely with Solution Black.
5.) CG Barebones for the wheel well.
6.) Consider getting 3m or Expel clear bra on the front. The one I worked on was riddled with paint chips.

Don't know about hard/soft, I don't get wrapped into that. I do a test spot using my favorite product least aggressive product. If it works great, I move on. If it needs more aggressiveness, I have product & pads. In this case I used HD Speed and a Yellow LC CCS pad after a test spot proved good. For the hood, I switched back to an Orange pad. For the deep scratches I worked those by hand with Megs 105, then went back over them with HD Speed. When done, I hit the whole car with Liquid Souveran.

Also, did you get the cream color interior or the black? The cream color shows every bit of dirt... I know... The one I worked on was a well taken care of 2013, but still needed hot-water carpet extraction on the seats.

Good luck!

Dogfather
09-01-2015, 02:58 AM
New clay
Skip the glaze
Iron remover before clay

bbattle
09-01-2015, 06:54 PM
ok it has been a while since ive bought supplies. Is there a list on autogeek or a complete kit for starting from scratch on a new car just picked up at the dealer? Thanks again for your input.

When I got my Mk7 GTI, I clayed it, used Klasse AIO cleaner, then the Klasse glaze/sealant. I then used Pinnacle Souveran paste wax to finish it. For a faster, but still awesome wax job, I use Pinnacle XMT360 spray wax.

I wash the car weekly or as needed, use the spray wax afterwards.

Don't forget to use some good quality microfiber towels.

AutoGeek has kits to sell, including a Forum Favorites. Klasse All-In-One, Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Pinnacle Souveran, Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Wax come together to create a forum favorite kit. (http://www.autogeek.net/forfavkit.html)

Many people recommend IronX to remove iron dust picked up during shipping of your car. Especially if the car went by train.

VW Drew
09-01-2015, 07:52 PM
thank you all for your replies. Now if I knew how to multi reply.