PDA

View Full Version : Griots machine polish help

LittleKing24
08-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new here to the forums and new to polishing. I bought a GG6 combo kit a month ago that came with a griots compound, machine polish 3, and wax. I purchased machine polish 2 separate to have a more complete correction system. Well, the couple times I have tried to use both polishes on 5.5 and 6.5 ccs pads, the polish seems to soak right into the pad and not stay on the paint. This drove me crazy making me think I just don't know how to use a DA at all. I used pad conditioner and primed the pad with more or less polish to see if I didn't put enough, or too much. Same results. It'll spread, but when I turn the speed up to work it in, right into the pad it goes. When I stop the polisher, it leaves quite a bit of polish on the paint so that's why I'm sure it's just going into the pad. Since I have had the polishes I've kept them at room temp but they do seem very liquidy. I made a second order recently and bought menzerna 3 in 1 and it worked like a charm although it didn't have quite enough cut to get rid of all the scratches. So has anyone experienced this, or mastered griots polishes? I'm thankful for any help you may have. (Sorry for the long post)

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 08:33 AM
a polish isn't made to leave a lot of product on the surface of the vehicle, you can see where you go over it with the polish correct? It's wet with some product? When your done with your two by two section you should see that there is product on the vehicle, not a lot like the 3 in 1 tough. It would be a lot harder to wipe off if you left that much product.

LittleKing24
08-30-2015, 08:50 AM
a polish isn't made to leave a lot of product on the surface of the vehicle, you can see where you go over it with the polish correct? It's wet with some product? When your done with your two by two section you should see that there is product on the vehicle, not a lot like the 3 in 1 tough. It would be a lot harder to wipe off if you left that much product.

After about one section pass I see nothing. Then just a lot of dust. No buffer trail. It may just be the lighting I've done it in? But it looks to me like I'm just dry buffing over the paint.

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 08:52 AM
What speed are you using, and what color pad?

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 08:54 AM
With the different color pads I guess I should ask if your using a polishing pad or finishing pad. This happens even when your using a new/clean pad?

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 08:57 AM
I see your in Texas. Are you polishing in 90 plus degree temperatures? I'm sorry I've never used the Griot's polishes.

LittleKing24
08-30-2015, 09:30 AM
At first I was spreading the polish at 2 or 3 then going up to 5. On one of the polishes it says to use speed 4 so I spread it at 2 then tried speed 4. I was using orange and white ccs pads. And yes the weather here is unbearable. I do have a tent though so I was working in the 90 degree shade instead of sun lol the truck did feel just slightly warm. One thing I noticed though is what I mentioned earlier, the polishes seemed very liquidy. Being my first time buying them I'm not sure if that's how they're supposed to be or not though

dmayer
08-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Have you tried refrigerating the polish before use?

LittleKing24
08-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Have you tried refrigerating the polish before use?

I actually thought about doing that just last night. Didn't know if I was just thinking crazy. But now I think I just might try it. Thank you for the input

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Make sure you shake the polish good. If when you stop the polisher there is a lot of product where you stop that indicates the product is on top of the pad, not completely soaked in. It is possible that you are not seeing the polish because it's such a thin layer. It's also possible the polish is drying up in that heat. I've never used that particular polish. I know when I use Meguiars 105, especially in the heat it dries up and dusts a lot. A couple things you can try, one is spaying a small spritz of water on the pad after a couple passes. The other is to use a small spritz of baby oil on the pad. This will help keep the polish in a more liquid state and it will be much more workable. Some people also use a small spray of quick detailer.

DaveT435
08-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Try those two things and let us know if it helps. Make sure you don't overload the pad. Over saturation will just generate more heat.

LittleKing24
08-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Ok. I'll try everything you mentioned. How is Meg's 105? I can get 105 and 205 OTC here so it would be convenient. I can always save the griots for the "winter" months here. I have a car to do next weekend that I will have access to a garage and adequate lighting so I will be sure to update my situation then. I appreciate all the help

DaveT435
08-31-2015, 06:57 AM
Ok. I'll try everything you mentioned. How is Meg's 105? I can get 105 and 205 OTC here so it would be convenient. I can always save the griots for the "winter" months here. I have a car to do next weekend that I will have access to a garage and adequate lighting so I will be sure to update my situation then. I appreciate all the help

I used 105 as an example of a compound that I had to add small sprays of water to while using. It's actually one of the worst as far as drying out/dusting. I haven't heard much about 205 dusting.
The Optimum Hyper Ploish and Hyper Compound have good long work times. Also the Menzerna line FG400-compound and ff4000-polish. Menzerna changed their numbering system I think th 4000 is now 3500, not sure what the 400 is. With the Menzerna line they seem to use more polishing oils so wipe off is a little more work. I know they aren't local, but I would recommend the Hyper Polish and Compound. Both very versatile products. Hyper Polish was one of the first polishes I ever ordered and even after the 10 or 12 others I've purchased I still use this one as much or more than any other. They are very user friendly and the amount of cut depends a lot on the pad you use. You should still have time to get them from AG. I would call them and let them know you need them by the weekend and maybe ask them to send them FedEx. I usually have product from Florida in three days from FedEx vs 5 with UPS.