PDA

View Full Version : What are these dry hazy spots on paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Clutch34
08-28-2015, 05:13 PM
So I recently bought a black 2011 G37S coupe about a month ago, but I received the car 2 days ago from Dallas. The rear bumper needed to be refinished before I took ownership of the car and I had my dad keep the car for a few weeks before shipping it to me in Utah. I'm wondering if the dealership attempted to "detail" the car before giving it to me and may have caused some damage because I didn't notice these hazy marks at the dealership when I was shopping around. I'm worried about the seriousness of what this is because although the car is used, it's new to me! I'm the third owner of the car and have no idea how often it's been detailed and/or waxed (if at all). According to CarFax and Autocheck it has not been in any accidents either -- but I know they're not 100% accurate. The areas in question feel dry and rough. I'm praying it's not clear coat failure or I'm going to be pissed!

usmcpab
08-28-2015, 05:29 PM
I can't quite tell, however what type of refinishing did the dealer perform? To me that looks like it might be overspray. Especially if you say it feels dry and rough

Clutch34
08-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, the rear bumper looked like it had quite a bit of touch up paint on it and any reflections coming off of it looked really blurry. I'm really picky and pay attention do detail so I noticed it. Neither my dad nor the car salesman knew what I was talking about until I showed them the reflections coming off a nearby black G37 on the lot and how it looked different than the one I was looking into purchasing. If they just refinished the bumper, how did the overspray show up on the car near the front of the car?

How does clear coat failure or oxidation feel on the paint?

Rsurfer
08-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Looks like clear coat failure to me. Just really odd areas (vertical), normally you will see CCF on the horizontals first.

Clutch34
08-28-2015, 06:07 PM
FML.

How can you tell the difference between clear coat failure and oxidation? I read about oxidation on the forums often, but don't really know what it is or what it looks like.

Rsurfer
08-28-2015, 06:16 PM
FML.

How can you tell the difference between clear coat failure and oxidation? I read about oxidation on the forums often, but don't really know what it is or what it looks like.

Oxidation looks dull and pretty even. Clear coat failure is spotty and not even. In it's last stages, it will have edges and start to peel.
Get some Meg's Ultimate Compound and rub a small area. If you see black on your applicator you have no clear. If the area does not start to get some gloss your clear coat is shot.

StangFan25
08-28-2015, 06:19 PM
It's very hard to determine what it might be in those pictures. I can see some bad swirls tho. I'd suggest contacting the seller and let them know the issues. In the mean time, take it to someone you trust that would know what to look for.

Clutch34
08-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Oxidation looks dull and pretty even. Clear coat failure is spotty and not even. In it's last stages, it will have edges and start to peel.
Get some Meg's Ultimate Compound and rub a small area. If you see black on your applicator you have no clear. If the area does not start to get some gloss your clear coat is shot.

I think one of my friends has some Megs D300 and HD Polish - will either of those work for the test spot?

Rsurfer
08-28-2015, 06:34 PM
I think one of my friends has some Megs D300 and HD Polish - will either of those work for the test spot?

That will work. Good luck.:props:

Clutch34
08-28-2015, 06:36 PM
It's very hard to determine what it might be in those pictures. I can see some bad swirls tho. I'd suggest contacting the seller and let them know the issues. In the mean time, take it to someone you trust that would know what to look for.

Yeah, this is just one big crapshoot now. The dealer is in Texas and the car is now in Utah so I can't even show them the car in person anymore. I don't know anyone personally who does a lot of detail work so I may have to start a new thread and see if there are any reputable detailers in the Salt Lake City area.

StangFan25
08-28-2015, 06:52 PM
I think you might have some success with a thread like that. There are friendly people on here from all over. I'd gladly help but I'm in Arizona.

Any type of warranty? I know it's a used car but sometimes you can still have one.

MikeLW
08-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Looks like chemical contamination. Maybe polish, compound, or wax. I can see what looks to me like buffer trails across the affected areas. Try hitting it with a paint friendly cleaner first.

Clutch34
08-28-2015, 08:02 PM
HD Polish removed the haze on the trunk lid!! And I had to use Megs D300 followed by HD Polish to, what I believe, removed the haze on the front fender! I'll have to check in the sun tomorrow but I think it worked! I'm so relieved!

Rsurfer
08-31-2015, 03:59 PM
HD Polish removed the haze on the trunk lid!! And I had to use Megs D300 followed by HD Polish to, what I believe, removed the haze on the front fender! I'll have to check in the sun tomorrow but I think it worked! I'm so relieved!

Glad it worked, hope it doesn't come back..let us know tomorrow in the sunlight.

usmcpab
08-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Glad to see that everything workout for you. I honestly want to say it was in fact overspray. I mean the way you described really sound like overspray. How it ended up in the front is beyond me, perhaps the shop was painting another vehicle nearby and some just happened to get on the front. But nonetheless congrats.