PDA

View Full Version : Wetsand or just compound & polish?

Coppertop80
08-28-2015, 12:01 AM
I was contacted to do a full paint correction on a 69 Chevelle that was restored approximately 10 years ago. The Chevelle has typical swirl marks and some scratches which is a shame because whoever built this car put a lot of time in the paintwork.(The car is straight as an arrow with no orange peel). I did a test spot and the paint is hard as hell ( M105 with microfiber cutting pad on Rupes 21 to get the paintwork to it's former glory). The correction is very doable but the owner put me on dead line since he wants to enter it in a car show in 2 weeks, the problem is I detail as a side business and the owner wont let the car leave his property. He also won't allow me to work on the car on weekends, so only time I have is Mondays to work on this car.

I'm thinking of damp sanding the swirls down with maybe the 3000 or 5000 grit to try and make my life a little easier but I know this car was previously wetsanded flat, I don't know how much clear coat actually remains and might be playing with fire.
Do you think I should refuse the job because with the time restraints I won't be able to do the quality work I'm known for.Feed back please

BillE
08-28-2015, 07:22 AM
In a nut shell...I'd pass on this one.

With ALL the constraints the owner is placing on you, he/she forcing you, by your standards, do a sub-standard job.

As to 'sanding', to me that is the last thing I'd consider. Especially with the imposed time factors.

Bill

kevincwelch
08-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Pass.

The owner has some specific limitations, and these appear to impair your ability to do the job you really feel capable of doing. I think that if you take this job, both of you might end up dissatisfied with the outcome.

Although I don't detail for a living, customer service is a big part of what I do. People have unrealistic expectations all the time, and if you can't turn them around or manage their expectations, they end up causing you more headache than its worth.

Let the customer be in the driving seat, but if they aren't going to listen to their navigator, let them find someone else.

Billy Baldone
08-28-2015, 07:41 AM
I would pass. He seems to be handcuffing you, then pushing you in a pool, and then will be angry when you drown.

Coppertop80
08-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Well been thinking about all it night at work. If he doesn't give me access to work on the car I think I'm going to have to pass. I guess the customer thinks it's just like a production detail even though i explained to him how long it takes.

Billy Baldone
08-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Keep us posted on the outcome either way.

Kamakaz1961
08-28-2015, 03:19 PM
I would pass on this. Giving you serious time constraints and too many obstacles to succeed. Not worth your time and effort.

Additionally, the paint being very difficult to correct is another factor. I would move on.

This would be the perfect storm for possible failure and I would avoid it by steering clear of this.

Coppertop80
08-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Well I just called the customer and he wouldn't give me access to the car after i explained I couldn't get the car finished with time constraints he put on me. So he canceled on me. THANK GOD
Now that customer car be someone else's problem

CarolinasFinestDetailing
08-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Too bad. You could've made quick work with a rotary for cutting phase.

Coppertop80
08-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Since I got my rupes 21, my rotary has been collecting dust.lol
Love the finishing capabilities of the Rupes 21. Thinking about picking up the Flex 3401 because of the forced rotation for these harder clear coats.

BillE
08-29-2015, 06:32 AM
Well I just called the customer and he wouldn't give me access to the car after i explained I couldn't get the car finished with time constraints he put on me. So he canceled on me. THANK GOD
Now that customer car be someone else's problem

It would be interesting to see if he can even find a quality detailer to work under those kind of restrictions. Then to see what the final picture looks like. Me thinks he is wanting to shoot for the moon with a bottle rocket.

I think you did well to NOT do this one.

Bill

VP Mark
08-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Good pass. Unrealistic expectations ALWAYS create disappointment.

Coppertop80
08-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Well I kinda feel bad that my test spot was on the center of the trunk...lol OK maybe not, hope he gets it detailed soon. Hahaha