PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy look...what could be the cause?

jam
09-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey guys. I still haven't had a chance to break out my new PC 7424 yet but i have a question. I have single stage acrylic enamel (red) about 4 years old. It looks really nice at dusk (Very shiny) but in the bright sunlight, aside from some swirls, it has a "cloudy" look to it. When i polish (maguiars swirl remover) and then wax (maguiars polymer sealant) by hand it gets nice and shiny again, but then after a couple washes it is back to the cloudy look again.

Any idea what the issue is?? Recently i have been wondering if it is polymer sealant. Any thoughts?

thanks.

Tandis1
09-17-2007, 10:58 AM
oxidation would be my guess..

jam
09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
oxidation would be my guess..
Being a novice here, these might seem like stupid questions so i apologize.....but why does it go nice and red when i polish and wax but then very soon after (after a wash) go cloudy again? The wash definitely isn't taking off the polymer sealant as it beads like crazy.

Pauly6401
09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
That sounds very similar to a problem my friend was having. I don't know what caused it, but we solved it with a PC 7424 and some XMT.

That will probably remove any oxidation you are having. If you are polishing by hand right now, you aren't getting the correcting power you need to fix it, is my guess.

pirex
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Or the paint has been bad in a long time, so the color pigments have gone away!

Pauly6401
09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Or the paint has been bad in a long time, so the color pigments have gone away!

True dat. Worth a shot!

odysseus
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
needs repainting

jam
09-18-2007, 08:26 AM
needs repainting
Well, it's not that old, probably a little over 4 years and it only sees May - Oct weather.....even then it is in the garage some of the time. I can't imagine it is totally shot.

robzie
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
if you did it by hand I would test the PC on panel with a milder polish and see if it makes a difference....

Tandis1
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Being a novice here, these might seem like stupid questions so i apologize.....but why does it go nice and red when i polish and wax but then very soon after (after a wash) go cloudy again? The wash definitely isn't taking off the polymer sealant as it beads like crazy.

If it is oxidation.. When you polish the dead paint gets new oils, kind off.. But that don't last forever..