PDA

View Full Version : Wax re-hazing after buff?

Snowrydr01
08-25-2015, 09:13 AM
A couple weeks ago i waxed my car with Mequires NXT 2.0 since i didnt want to use "the good stuff" and wanted a liquid wax not paste. Waxed very thin in shade anfter a proper wash, let haze, removed and buffed off with chemical guys MF towels and as the sun moved over the house and the car was now in direct sunlight through the course of the day it re-hazed 3 times!

I thought maybe it was too thick or just a lower quality wax and wrote it off.

Also i have a black car.

So this weekend i broke out the Griots DA and used my good Blackfire Hybrid Montan wax since i noticed too much water beading on vertical panels for my liking. Same process as before and it looked great for about 5 hours and later in the day i noticed the hood was hazing up again?

The worst part is that it now has a bunch of pollen on in so i dont want to start buffing again and rubbing the contaminants into it.

Are my surface temps just getting too hot too soon and baking the wax?

Ive been considering going to a sealer only regimen for the winter months but definitely want to get to the bottom of this.

WaxMaster1
08-25-2015, 09:18 AM
What did you do to the car to prepare for the NXT?

Did you just add another layer on top of the NXT? ie) your Blackfire

I would start from scratch and clay bar, clean and polish the paint and then top with your favorite wax/sealant.

Snowrydr01
08-25-2015, 11:50 AM
What did you do to the car to prepare for the NXT?

Did you just add another layer on top of the NXT? ie) your Blackfire

I would start from scratch and clay bar, clean and polish the paint and then top with your favorite wax/sealant.

NXT was an "update wax" Full process was glaze, klasse seal, blackfire about 2 months ago. Weekly-ish washes usually get a spray wax but that particular week i had a little more time so decided to do a "real" wax.

Ill be stripping down and starting over before winter so that isnt in question. The questions is why and i getting repeated hazing from two different products one applied by hand and one applied by DA....and should i just stick with synthetics moving forward for an outside stored black car.

tpr1634
08-25-2015, 12:32 PM
On my black truck if I go heavy with 845 it can cause the issue.

Audios S6
08-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Are you seeing the products actually re-haze or are you seeing something like an oily residue?

NXT2.0 has been known to cause 'ghosting', which depending on who you ask, can refer to a haze or oily residue and it is more common on black and at high temps. It is also common with many paste waxes.

Allow this to happen shortly after the work is done, then do a QD wipe to remove the haze; it is rare for it to return. In this manner you are controlling the ghosting rather than it controlling you.

Kamakaz1961
08-25-2015, 01:21 PM
This is called "Ghosting or Hazing". It can happen (especially) to a black vehicle.

If you have layered a wax over a sealant "ghosting or hazing" can occur with a wax. I am not familiar with Meg NXT 2.0, however, you indicated it was on the "cheaper" side and not the good wax. IMO, that is where the problem is.

I would look into a more quality wax and the problem should not happen again. Collinite waxes are great BY ITSELF. If you put any Collinite Wax over a sealant it will ghost from 1st hand experience.

When I apply a new wax (over a sealant as that is my procedure); I will test it by leaving my car out in the sun to see if the wax will ghost. The one's that do, I do not use anymore.

I noticed the more "higher quality" waxes do not ghost even over a sealant.

If it were me I would look into the more "higher" quality waxes. I do know that Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax or their liquid wax will not ghost.

As for the Hybrid waxes, I no longer use them on a black car as they seem to be missing the depth and gloss when compared to a carnauba wax.

There are many you can choose from, however, they are generally the "higher" end carnauba waxes.

BTW, I feel your pain! Been there done that!!

Snowrydr01
08-25-2015, 03:11 PM
This is called "Ghosting or Hazing". It can happen (especially) to a black vehicle.

If you have layered a wax over a sealant "ghosting or hazing" can occur with a wax. I am not familiar with Meg NXT 2.0, however, you indicated it was on the "cheaper" side and not the good wax. IMO, that is where the problem is.

I would look into a more quality wax and the problem should not happen again. Collinite waxes are great BY ITSELF. If you put any Collinite Wax over a sealant it will ghost from 1st hand experience.

When I apply a new wax (over a sealant as that is my procedure); I will test it by leaving my car out in the sun to see if the wax will ghost. The one's that do, I do not use anymore.

I noticed the more "higher quality" waxes do not ghost even over a sealant.

If it were me I would look into the more "higher" quality waxes. I do know that Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax or their liquid wax will not ghost.

As for the Hybrid waxes, I no longer use them on a black car as they seem to be missing the depth and gloss when compared to a carnauba wax.

There are many you can choose from, however, they are generally the "higher" end carnauba waxes.

BTW, I feel your pain! Been there done that!!

The "good = expensive" Blackfire wax didnt happen the first time i applied it over fresh (properly cured) Klasse sealant on either my own or my wifes car. Thats why i was extremely surprised to see it happen this weekend. The NXT that hazed up was 2-3 weeks old and frankly i thought it had deteriorated off since i didnt have great water shedding.

And yes Black sucks. There are our first black cars coming from the most forgiving colors (white and granite)....And on what ive heard are the softest manufacturers being an acura and a lexus.

But DAMN do they look good after a full process! for about 4 hours.

MIsnowman
08-25-2015, 03:19 PM
The "good = expensive" Blackfire wax didnt happen the first time i applied it over fresh (properly cured) Klasse sealant on either my own or my wifes car. Thats why i was extremely surprised to see it happen this weekend. The NXT that hazed up was 2-3 weeks old and frankly i thought it had deteriorated off since i didnt have great water shedding.

And yes Black sucks. There are our first black cars coming from the most forgiving colors (white and granite)....And on what ive heard are the softest manufacturers being an acura and a lexus.

But DAMN do they look good after a full process! for about 4 hours.

I disagree with the first bold because I agree with the second bold. There is nothing sharper than a well cared for black vehicle. :dblthumb2:

Kamakaz1961
08-25-2015, 04:07 PM
I disagree with the first bold because I agree with the second bold. There is nothing sharper than a well cared for black vehicle. :dblthumb2:

Black IMO is the best looking color for most vehicles, however, it is a 24/7 taking care of situation. It is a Love/Hate relationship color.

It ALWAYS needs to be cared for!!

BTW, try out these waxes that do not ghost (in my experience)

Blackfire Midnight Sun
P21S 100% Carnauba Wax
SON1C Phoenix Wax and Carnaubavore
Sonax Caranuba Wax
Menzerna Colorlock
Poorboy's Red
Already mentioned Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax and liquid.

All can go over a sealant and not ghost or by standalone as your LSP. This is from my experience. You can get all of these at AGO.

Polish Angel Black Wulfenite and Famous are excellent liquid waxes that you can get at AGO's sister site Autopia.

IME ALL of the Collinites will ghost over a sealant. That being said they are excellent stand alone's (no sealant) and can be difficult to remove if applied thick.

There are many more I can suggest, however, this should suffice most AGO waxaholics!!...That is my only obsession and huge weakness is carnauba waxes paste or liquid. I have too many as it is and still growing!

BillE
08-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Being a synthetic 'wax', they do take a while to completely cross-link (cure). During that time period, you can actually watch the ghosting come and go.

In my experiences, they (meaning synthetic) all seem to do that.

Bill