PDA

View Full Version : Megs ULW + D156 = Super Spray Wax?

TheAverageMan
08-24-2015, 10:43 PM
So I got 2 gallongs of D156 incoming, and about 1/4 a gallon left here. I also got ULW.

I was spray waxing my car and thought to myself, "this stuff is like a watered down ULW". Then i thought "i wonder if I can mix the two to make a stronger spray wax.

Has anyone else thought of this or tried it out? Is ULW water soluble, cause I think D156 is water based.

Bob or Guz, care to chime in?

KMdef9
08-24-2015, 11:24 PM
It won't flash with the liquid added to the spray. Making the spray harder to use and probably taking the durability of the liquid away.

But you should try it anyways!

FUNX650
08-24-2015, 11:57 PM
From D156's MSDS:

SECTION 2: INGREDIENTS
Ingredient......................CAS #............% by Wt
•WATER......................7732-18-5............88-98
•CONDITIONERS.........Trade Secret............<5
•SWEET ORANGE
PEEL TINCTURE..............8028-48-6..........0.1-1.0

SECTION 9: PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
•Solubility in Water...............Complete

From G182, Ultimate Liquid Wax's MSDS:

SECTION 2: INGREDIENTS
Ingredient..................................CAS#.. ........% by Wt
•NON-HAZARDOUS
INGREDIENTS............................Mixture.... .......60-80
•PETROLEUM DISTILLATE.........64742-48-9.........7-13
•POLY(DIMETHYLSILOXANE).....63148-62-9..........3-7
•PETROLEUM DISTILLATE.........64742-47-8..........1-5

SECTION 9: PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
•Solubility in Water....................Moderate

•A Couple of Questions:
-At what ratio do you plan on mixing these
two products (and with what mixing apparatus)?

-Wonder if Meguiar's T.S. Conditioners, and the
Orange Tincture that's found in D156...
will "play well" with Meguiar's selection of the
petroleum-distillates and PDMS that's found
in G182?

-What role, if any, will water play
in the dilution/mixing processes?

Bob

SonOfOC
08-25-2015, 12:18 AM
I struggle to find the reasoning behind mixing products. D156 is fantastic as designed by Mequiars. Frankensteining a "stronger" mix will most likely result in streaking.

TheAverageMan
08-25-2015, 02:09 AM
I struggle to find the reasoning behind mixing products. D156 is fantastic as designed by Mequiars. Frankensteining a "stronger" mix will most likely result in streaking.

Just to experiment. After researching other spray waxes, looking to replace my D156, I found out that Optimum's wax, and Black Fire's Midnight Sun spray wax's were both said to be thicker than Meguiar's spray wax.

However, I didn't see them as being economical enough, since I can get two gallons of D156 for 50 dollars, compared to BF which is like 70 dollars, (Almost 3 times the price gallon to gallon), and also 50 dollars for one gallon of Optimum Wax (Twice the price of D156) so I just got two gallons of D156 instead.

My reasoning is that maybe if D156 was somewhat thicker, denser, or whatever, by adding some ULW, whether it would be able to create a better spray wax.

Thank you Bob for the MSDS chemical thing.

I'll be using a 32 oz spray bottle to mix them in, but I don't plan on making a whole bottle worth. Maybe just 8 oz worth. I'll go with 1:1, give it a shake and go. If it's too thick or something, I'll just keep adding D156 to keep watering it down to find a good ratio. I'm gonna guess that I'm going to end at a 1:4 ratio. All of which is if the ULW can dissolve or mix into the D156.

KMdef9
08-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Just to experiment. After researching other spray waxes, looking to replace my D156, I found out that Optimum's wax, and Black Fire's Midnight Sun spray wax's were both said to be thicker than Meguiar's spray wax.

However, I didn't see them as being economical enough, since I can get two gallons of D156 for 50 dollars, compared to BF which is like 70 dollars, (Almost 3 times the price gallon to gallon), and also 50 dollars for one gallon of Optimum Wax (Twice the price of D156) so I just got two gallons of D156 instead.

My reasoning is that maybe if D156 was somewhat thicker, denser, or whatever, by adding some ULW, whether it would be able to create a better spray wax.

Thank you Bob for the MSDS chemical thing.

I'll be using a 32 oz spray bottle to mix them in, but I don't plan on making a whole bottle worth. Maybe just 8 oz worth. I'll go with 1:1, give it a shake and go. If it's too thick or something, I'll just keep adding D156 to keep watering it down to find a good ratio. I'm gonna guess that I'm going to end at a 1:4 ratio. All of which is if the ULW can dissolve or mix into the D156.

BFMDSW is not the same as UQW. It has carnauba wax in it. Whereas megs is fully synthetic.

shagnat
08-25-2015, 07:49 PM
What does it mean to "flash"?

KMdef9
08-25-2015, 08:04 PM
What does it mean to "flash"?

To cure, looks like it's evaporating off the paint. Meaning little to no buffing after.