PDA

View Full Version : PBL Surface Coating Questions

MechE
08-24-2015, 02:06 PM
I’m thinking about applying PBL Surface Coating to a new Cayman GT4, and I have a few questions.

1. Can the coating be applied over Xpel Ultimate PPF?
2. Any recommendations for applying the coating close to the edge of the PPF?
3. The wheels on the car have a satin finish. Any issues with applying the coating on that type of surface finish?

Mike Phillips
08-24-2015, 03:19 PM
I’m thinking about applying PBL Surface Coating to a new Cayman GT4, and I have a few questions.

1. Can the coating be applied over Xpel Ultimate PPF?

Yes.

2. Any recommendations for applying the coating close to the edge of the PPF?

There's no need to be that careful, just mist it on both the paint and the PPF and after about a minute buff the area with a clean, soft microfiber towel.

3. The wheels on the car have a satin finish. Any issues with applying the coating on that type of surface finish?

No issues at all except you want to make sure the finish on the wheels, just like the finish on the paint is prepped first using the Surface Cleansing Lotion.

All I use on my wife's 350SLK is PBL Diamond Surface Coating from the day we bought it and the paint on her car always looks glassy and it's super fast and easy to wash and dry.

It's due for a wash job, maybe I'll bring it in and do some regular maintenance and post some pictures.

Here's the original write-up for this project,

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 Show Car Makeover Pictures (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/72151-2006-mercedes-benz-slk-350-show-car-makeover-pictures.html)

And here's an article I wrote to show two complimentary products that work great to maintain the coating.

NOTE: The PBL Diamond Surface Coating has ZERO ability to remove even the faintest of water spots after washing and drying a car or any other streaks or smears, I know because I've tried.

So after washing I use the Black Label Diamond Coating Detailer to give the paint a pre-wipe before re-applying the Surface Coating.

I use the PBL Diamond Coating Booster as a maintenance product for the coating but again, first you have to either wash or use the PBL Diamond Coating Detailer to prep the paint as neither the coating or the booster has any cleaning ability.

Black Label Coating Detailer & Booster - Synergistic Chemical Compatibility (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/75896-black-label-coating-detailer-booster-synergistic-chemical-compatibility.html)

And just to note, the El Camino you see in the pictures in the thread above was detailed by my class at one of our 3-day Detailing Boot Camp Classes and we applied the PBL Diamond Paint Coating.

Look at how glassy the paint looks on this muscle car with a basecoat/clearcoat paint job.

:)

MechE
08-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Mike,

Thank you for the prompt and detailed response. I think I'm good to go.