PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

SR5_Runner
08-23-2015, 09:41 PM
As the title states, I am a (semi) recent member trying to learn to be proficient in taking care of my vehicle. I currently have a 2005 4runner, natural white paint. From my research/investigating, this is in fact the SS white paint that Toyota decided was a good idea to use for some reason...

I am having trouble getting some good wash results and need some advice. I am not looking to have a Mike Phillips or Larry Kosilla results, just looking for good results that will show some of my efforts put forth. I would eventually like to do a paint correction on the whole vehicle, and plan to use Meg D151. (A fellow forum member here has used it on a SS white 4runner and had excellent results).

My washing issue is this. After I wash the vehicle, using a foam presoak, and two bucket method, mixing use of a wool wash mit and a bug and tar sponge for stubborn spots, etc. Where I'm running into issues is in the areas in the small crevices, most notably where the rear spoiler meets the body as well as where the fenders meet the body panels, and also in the groove just around the rear side windows, etc.

Could someone either help me with some idea where/what to search for or help with a solution? It is a bit discouraging to try to wash and still not have good enough results to move to clay/correction/wax/etc. I struggle to invest in the multiude of solutions and tools without even being able to feel confident about the wash process. Thanks in advance, sorry for those bothered by any lack of knowledge!

roguerobot
08-23-2015, 09:50 PM
I use a toothbrush for areas like that.

mwoolfso
08-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Soft bristle brush with some QD should work. I have a tooth brush and this in my inventory.

Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts (http://www.autogeek.net/lug-nut-brush.html)

BillE
08-24-2015, 07:34 AM
I use a SOFT paint brush.

Not those ones that come in a bag for '5 for a dollar', but good quality brush.

Bill

AnthonyGXP
08-24-2015, 08:02 AM
As most have mentioned, I too use a soft detail "vent" brush for areas such as these. While claying you can also shape and mold your clay for tight areas such as these.

SR5_Runner
08-24-2015, 11:20 AM
As most have mentioned, I too use a soft detail "vent" brush for areas such as these. While claying you can also shape and mold your clay for tight areas such as these.

I use a SOFT paint brush.

Not those ones that come in a bag for '5 for a dollar', but good quality brush.

Bill

Soft bristle brush with some QD should work. I have a tooth brush and this in my inventory.

Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts (http://www.autogeek.net/lug-nut-brush.html)

I use a toothbrush for areas like that.

Perfect! Thanks for all the great responses, I will def be giving this a try as soon as I can get my hands on a good quality brush!

LSNAutoDetailing
08-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Since you've already washed and got the big contaminants off, you could try some Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion, or Meg's #7.

Since the vehicle is white did you do Iron-X?

SR5_Runner
08-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Since you've already washed and got the big contaminants off, you could try some Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion, or Meg's #7.

Since the vehicle is white did you do Iron-X?

I have not heard of/know about this type of product for the paint. could you elaborate a little? I read that it is good to prevent/remove contamination, but is this something to be used with SS paint? Also, I assume it is used after clay and before correction/polishing steps? What would be the possible negative effects if I skipped something like this and went from clay to correction/polish, etc.?