PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique vs. Swissvax

Pages : [1] 2 3

Challynger
08-22-2015, 10:09 PM
I recently picked up a '96 M3 and need to deep clean the leather seats. I've heard good things about both Leatherique and Swissvax. Does anyone have experience with both to offer comparisons?

kevincwelch
08-23-2015, 09:49 AM
I don't have experience with leatherique, but I do have experience with Swissvax as well as Connolly. I love the Connolly leather cleaner. It's really done a great job on my cars seats. On that note I love the Swissvax leather milk. It's easy to apply, and the seats look great after application. I do also have this with backs leather cleaner, and it works pretty well; however, I think the Connolly leather cleaner works better and is easier to widely apply to the leather. One drawback of the Connolly leather cleaner is that you have to mix the cleaner with water in a certain ratio. It takes a little extra time. Unlike the Swissvax leather cleaner one drawback of the Connolly leather cleaner is that you have to mix the cleaner with water in a certain ratio. It takes a little extra time. Contrast this to the Swissvax leather cleaner that you can simply spray on to the seats and work in using a brush.

I just cleaned my seats with Connolly this weekend.

Before cleaning - well maintained interior.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/23/785321fb1581a19c3ef1fa56102a5a5e.jpg

After cleaning. Lighter side is the clean side.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/23/b6f505c283a6a295f53cc02ad574e9ba.jpg

I finished it with the Swissvax leather milk after the entire seat was clean.

Ricorocks
08-23-2015, 12:06 PM
I like "Leatherique" allot.

This really get's the deep down dirt, others simply cannot.

1. Leather Rejuvenator - Liberal amount work it in (I use a paint brush), brush in the stitches or dirty areas.

2. Take the car outside (do the drivers seat last, outside) roll up the windows, allow it to bake for 8 - 12 hours, hotter the better. On a nice 100+ F day in Texas, get the Rejuvenator on in the AM, & then outside & let her cook.

3. Bring it indoors, you should see scum or whiteish crud, this is the dirt, sweat, & whatever the Rejuvenator, pulled up from deep within the leather.

4. Apply "Prestine Clean", (I put it into a spray bottle, & spritz the leather), easily wipe up, with MF

Amazing results, even on new cars!

previously I've tried leather cleaners & conditioners:

Meg.
Mothers
CG
Einszett

Non are as good or compare to Leatherique

FUNX650
08-23-2015, 01:36 PM
First of all:
What "type" of leather are you talking about?

Basically:
Is it coated/protected; or: not coated/protected?

Bob

Ricorocks
08-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't that should be question to the mfg. of intended product to use

FUNX650
08-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Some leather products are formulated
to clean leather...not urethane.
(And vice versa).

Just a thought:
I'd bet that some leather products' manufacturers
have not given their best efforts towards dispelling
the perpetuation of the myriad myths regarding the cleaning/"conditioning"/protecting of the different
"types" of auto-leathers.

Bob

astonmartin
08-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I have a 2009 Aston Martin. Has 4,000 miles, never drive it really so the seats are clean and do not need a deep clean. The car is in a garage so out of the sun however I do want to condition the seats. What do you recommend? I am not sure if i even see a standard leatherique conditioner on their website.

Ricorocks
08-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Wow! What cool ride.

See this: Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products (http://www.leatherique.com/)

post some pics

Ricorocks
08-24-2015, 07:59 PM
They sell it here: Results for leatherique\ - Search (http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/search?catalog=autogeek&query=leatherique\&x=0&y=0)

You need like 2:1 rejuvenator to prestine

It's always: Rejuvenator > heat > Prestine > wipe with MF

I've tried the above mentioned products & nothing compares.

I believe it works like this: Rejuvenator penetrates deep & encapsulates, & dissolves crud (sweat, dirt, etc), the heat draws the crud to the surface, where you spritz Prestine Clean, then wipe with MF.

I was somewhat nervous with my first use, on my new 2014 Audi A8. It seems counter intuitive. But after Leatherique you/I won't be tempted to try others, or at least that's my thinking. I generally do this summertime, one time per year.

FUNX650
08-24-2015, 08:48 PM
I have a 2009 Aston Martin.
Has 4,000 miles, never drive it really so

the seats are clean and do not need a deep clean.

The car is in a garage so out of the sun
however I do want to condition the seats.

What do you recommend?

I am not sure if i even see a standard leatherique conditioner on their website.
First and foremost:
:welcome: ...to AGO!

Being that an Aston Martin may have
many bespoke personalisations...

It'd be best, IMO, to find out what "type" of leather
appointments this vehicle's cabin has, before
selecting/recommending any leather products
to use upon its surfaces.

•Another couple of notes of import:
-The mantra for auto leather-care is:
"Clean and Protect!"

-Any of this so-called condition/conditioning
does not even enter into the picture.

Bob

conman1395
08-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I have a 2009 Aston Martin. Has 4,000 miles, never drive it really so the seats are clean and do not need a deep clean. The car is in a garage so out of the sun however I do want to condition the seats. What do you recommend? I am not sure if i even see a standard leatherique conditioner on their website.
There are two products: Rejuvenating Oil and Pristine Clean. You don't have to let the car sit in the sun, you can let it just sit in the garage a couple days. I have encountered nothing as good as Leatherique (in terms of what it does). The makers of Leatherique also were involved in developing the coating modern day leather is coated in so they are the only brand of conditioner I use on leather seats (which I do to my own cars 2 times a year).

If I were you I would still do the system, or at least use the Pristine Clean. It has conditioners in it and is a very good cleaner.

Just a note: on cars that don't get driven often, I will still at least do the system on areas very frequently contacted by your hands (mainly steering wheel and shifter knob) because the oil and dirt from your hands quickly can make your leather pretty gross (even on cars driven 500 miles a year). My neighbors Ferrari was basically only used to drive to the country club (which is in our neighborhood so not a far drive at all). His leather got pretty shiny and oily even though it only was driven about 500 miles a year. Probably because he would get in the car after playing golf and sweating during the summer.

Ricorocks
08-25-2015, 07:47 AM
@astonmartin

With such a lovely ride, I suggest you follow the instructions very carefully, for any product. Keeping in mind, that wording (label) can be deceptive.

Caution! see this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/94190-used-leatherique-leather-now-discolored-help.html

be sure to not overlook the cautionary note: Try in an inauspicious area first. Heat is important as this draws upward to the surface the contaminants.

Also I do this, I phone the MFG. & ask questions sometimes, you will get, advice that's not on the label.

From "Leatherique" instructions:

astonmartin
08-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Thank you. Aston sells a leather product but not sure if i should use that one or go outside the manufacturers product. You would think they would recommend something with a proven track record. Here is what they have on their site:

Waterless Cleaning & Leather Care Kits Bundle (http://www.astonmartin.com/en/shop/car-accessories/care-protection/waterless-cleaning-leather-care-kits-bundle)

I do wear gloves when I drive so no oils touch the steering wheel.

I just want to make sure I am not "over-doing" it with an entire cleaning system. I am new to this so please forgive my lack of education... although I have been reading as much as i can find.

Ricorocks
08-25-2015, 10:09 AM
The Audi dealerships, sell Audi branded products & leather treatment as well. This is nothing more than a re-branding, & huge markup.

How about this, phone or email, a few mfg's & say something like, I'm considering your product, do you have, samples I could try?

The store here offers "free" samples, depending on your purchase. This is a fairly common strategy, & I'm sure many mfg's would gladly supply.

Perhaps they have an Aston club or forum, you could gain some helpful knowledge.

Ricorocks
08-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Have you seen this:

Leather Cleaning and Care: clean and condition leather seats with premium leather care products. leather care, leather cleaner, auto leather cleaner, (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-car-care.html)