PDA

View Full Version : New Paint Thickness Gauge!

Pages : [1] 2

Jaretr1
08-22-2015, 01:27 PM
I see this just popped up on the new products page:

]http://www.autogeek.net/highline-paint-thickness-gauge.html (http://www.autogeek.net/highline-paint-thickness-gauge.html)

Correcting paint can be daunting enough for first timers; adding in the possibility of burning through the paint can make it even worse! HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge is one of those tools you do not want to start a project without.

HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge is not the first of it's kind by any means. But, it may be the first (possibly only!) paint thickness gauge that is affordable enough for everyone! You don't have to be a professional body shop to appreciate how much easier the HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge can make a detail. Before putting any polisher to paint, make sure you are aware of what you are working with! http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/highline-paint-gauge.jpg HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge comes packaged in a sturdy sunglasses-style, felt line cased.

HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge gives you an accurate reading on both ferrous (Fe) and non-ferrous (NFe) surfaces in both mils and microns. The large, easy-to-see display flips when you need it to, making it easier to measure lower body panels and hard to reach areas. Before starting such a large project, use HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge to get a read on the vehicle in question. You'll be glad you did!

HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge features:

Steel & Aluminum readings
Pre-calibrated
0-40 Mils (Thickest reading capability available)
On/Off button for safe pocket carrying
Large LCD read-out with flip display technology
Auto-switch technology with surface indication (FE/NF)
Reads in both Mils and Microns
1 AAA batteries for long lasting reliability
Large foot for stable readings

Has anyone used this or tried it? Something like this has been on my radar.

mbkite
08-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Looks like a great tool and almost affordable for me got to put it on my list.

EWtheDETAILER
08-22-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm ready for some reviews on this! Definitely has caught my eye!

Rsurfer
08-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Great tool, have been using it for over 5 years.

jmsc
08-22-2015, 04:44 PM
$250 is not bad at all for a PTG.

geekdout
08-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know if this gauge measures the total coating depth or if it actually measures the paint depth?

Either way at this price it is still a great tool.

Rsurfer
08-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know if this gauge measures the total coating depth or if it actually measures the paint depth?

Either way at this price it is still a great tool.

It measures the total paint thickness. If you want one that will break down the paint from the clear coat, be prepared to spend 10k+.

geekdout
08-22-2015, 08:43 PM
So in order to use this PTG would you have to measure an area of the car that typically does not get polished to get a idea of the factory paint depth.

Just trying to get a idea of how you would normally use it, I have no experience with these tools.

Rsurfer
08-22-2015, 10:31 PM
So in order to use this PTG would you have to measure an area of the car that typically does not get polished to get a idea of the factory paint depth.

Just trying to get a idea of how you would normally use it, I have no experience with these tools.

Some say take a reading of the door jams, but under the hood is better as it is not cleared and door jams are. This gives you a guesstimate of the amount of clear is on your paint.

AGOatemywallet
08-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Key word..."Guestimate"

Damonsfcd
08-22-2015, 10:59 PM
HighLine Meter Paint Thickness Gauge comes packaged in a sturdy sunglasses-style, felt line cased.

Should read: "...felt-lined case."

kevincwelch
08-23-2015, 10:04 AM
This looks exactly like the one I got on another site for $150.

2011 302
08-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Hmmmmhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/23/612e1cd877ae7ce5da1b43354b04a143.jpg

kevincwelch
08-23-2015, 12:20 PM
yup.

Download the manual and the instructions are the same and in the same font as the Nicety. Here are the specs for the Highline:

Scale Ferrous/Nonferrous
Product Type Paint and Coating Thickness
Range 0 to 80 mil (0 to 1999µm)
Resolution 0.1 mil (1 µm)
Dimensions 2" x 4.5" x 1" (5 x 11.4 x 2.5 cm)
Display LCD
Accuracy ±3%n + 0.1 mil (±3%n + 2 µm)
Qty/ea 1
Brand Elcometer
CE Compliance Yes
Power one AAA battery

(Only difference I can see is the 40 v. 80 mils.)

Same specs/margin of error as the Nicety, although the Nicety I have says a 0.1 mil/1 micron margin.

FUNX650
08-23-2015, 05:25 PM
$250 is not bad at all for a PTG.
Not too bad...but, IMO:
AGO needs to bring their price of
this unit down to ~$190.00.

Bob