PDA

View Full Version : Question on New Car paint protection

08-21-2015, 07:11 PM
Just got my New Challenger Hellcat and I was thinking of using a paint sealent. I was looking at the Wolf's 3.0 - just a little confused on the process and how to care for it afterward. Once you use it do you re-apply like you would wax and how often?
Is this similar to doing a process such as ceramic coating?
Is the liquid seal like a "touch up" to the 3.0 sealent that you would use weekly?

Any insight or suggestions on packages to purchase would be appreciated.:cheers:

KajalMehta
09-03-2015, 02:06 AM
I think you can do sand blasting after a month and always park your car in shade to keep your car color long lasting.

Goin Rogue
09-03-2015, 04:07 AM
Personally if I had a Hellcat I'd get it wrapped with Xpel and then coated. It's worth the investment for such a fine machine.

Also, got any pictures?

09-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Personally if I had a Hellcat I'd get it wrapped with Xpel and then coated. It's worth the investment for such a fine machine.

Also, got any pictures?

I was thinking of a clear "bra" but wasn't sure yet. Here are some pics:

Setec Astronomy
09-04-2015, 07:15 AM
Just got my New Challenger Hellcat and I was thinking of using a paint sealent. I was looking at the Wolf's 3.0 - just a little confused on the process and how to care for it afterward. Once you use it do you re-apply like you would wax and how often?
Is this similar to doing a process such as ceramic coating?
Is the liquid seal like a "touch up" to the 3.0 sealent that you would use weekly?

You use a sealant just like a wax, you reapply it periodically. As far as is it similar to a ceramic coating...well, the process is similar I guess, but the product isn't.

I wouldn't consider the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal to be a touch up, although you could use it that way, I'd look at it as more of an alternate to the sealant.

Will this car be a garage queen or a daily driver?

inzer585
09-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Wow awesome car. My dream car for sure. Puts my "entry" level Challenger to shame.

I use Klasse SG on my Challenger SXT and it offers pretty good protection for a daily driver and looks great too. 3 coats of the sealant and it looks deep and very reflective. Sonus Acrylic Spritz Quick Detail Spray and Sonus Acrylic Glanz for touch up and adding a glossy layer.

I used Wolfgang 3.0 on my friends 2015 Mustang. I clayed bars, lightly polished and used Pinnacle Black label surface polish and then 3.0 and let cure for 24hrs in a temp controlled garage and the durability just isnt there compare to some other sealants i've used.

MarkD51
09-04-2015, 11:21 AM
If you are talking about Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, yes, it is a very good Sealant, and extremely easy to work with.

Apply in the shade, let sit 30-45 minutes, remove with your best MF Towels, piece of cake! It gives a finish and look, that looks like you just sprayed additional coats of clear coat, like glass! IMO, you cannot go wrong with any Wolfgang Product, they are all exemplary, and work as they are described to work.

In between re-applications, something like Pinnacle Crystal Mist Spray Detailer is also very good. One of my all time fav spray detailers. Aids in removing any smudges, water spots, dusts, and refreshes the sealant.

Another good choice would be Duragloss Aquawax, and use that as either a drying aid, or as well as a spray detailer. It's another great one to use after a wash for a quick 5 minute detail, and touch up.

Both will help your sealant last longer.

As far as WOWA Sealants from the various makers, yes, they can be used as toppers, but the one shortcoming with these I've noticed (and I've used quite a few of them, yes, they are fantastic, and easy, especially great in hard to treat areas like Door Jambs, etc, but do note that if you have some stubborn water spotting, these WOWAs are often ineffective at removing such.

Thus, you will be in effect "sealing" these spots with a WOWA, and proving somewhat more difficult to remove the next time you wash.

A Pint of WGDGPS 3.0 will last quite a while. Apply thin, and as recommended, let cure, then remove. Also should not wet the car for 12 hours time, to let the sealant fully cure. This sealant you've asked about will wow you.

Jaretr1
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
That is an awesome color!

WDGS is an excellent product.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Plate says NJ. I'm sure there are some Auto Geek Forum members that can help you. Second, is this going to be a garage queen with frequent romps at the track but NOT a daily driver?

Many opinions will vary, if it were mine, (which I have a garage queen, just not as nice... well it's nice for my $$$). I did a coating and it looks amazing. I went with 3M clear bra, mainly because I like the Expel, but again $$$$ and mine isn't a daily driver.

Either way you go, you should do full paint correction on the car and prepare it for it's last step.

I would start with a wash - Foam Bath / soft mitts.
Iron-X
2nd wash: 2BM or Foam Bath or both!
Pinnacle Fine Clay with a clay lubricant. (QD or Pinnacle) I use Megs D114 in a spray bottle.
Then I would start the tedious task of swirl and scratch removal. Do a test spot using your product of choice (least aggressive) and follow it with the finishing polish. This will give you an idea if you're getting the desired results .
If that works, press on, if not move up to the next aggressive pad or Compound and again, finish it off with the polish. If that works, finish the rest of the car.

If you can go without driving the car until the Clear-Bra folks show up, you definitely want that done, at least on the front. After that is done do a rinsless wipe down of D114 to remove dust and over spray the clear bra installation.

Follow the pre-steps for whatever coating you chose. For CQ, use Eraser. For Pinnacle BL Diamond Coating, follow the instructions and use the Pinnacle BL Prep Polish. Not sure about other coatings prep stages... Follow the instructions and coat the vehicle and rims as well. Pinnacle makes a separate coating for the rims... although, I use the same for both my car and my rims....

I just did all of the above for my garage queen, and it looks amazing! Lots of work tho! Good luck and congrats on the Holy Grail of American Muscle!!!

Congrats!

FUNX650
09-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Here are some pics:
Very Nice...:xyxthumbs:

I was thinking of a clear "bra"
but wasn't sure yet.

A clear bra/PPF will provide way better
protection than any Sealant ever could.

I'll suggest you get XPel's Ultimate PPF.

Bob

09-04-2015, 04:25 PM
WOW - such great insights - THANK YOU all for the input. I am bringing my sons car to be window tinted tomorrow - same guy that did mine and I am setting appointment up to do clear bra - Xpel looks like the ticket.

This is a daily driver - 2000 miles in two weeks so far. My '08 SRT8 I put 200k on.

I am going to the step by step you suggested and I think I will try the WDGS product - why not. So different when I used to use filling glaze to get rid of swirl marks - I'm dating myself.

A local detailer that was recommended is doing a detail on Saturday just to get the first coat of wax on, then I will take over from there.

Thanks again for the input - this forum is great and I am glad and humbled you all liked the car. It moves as good as it looks too!!!:cheers:

Blue911
09-05-2015, 09:54 AM
I am having an XPel clear bra applied to my new 911 GTS and was wondering what to use on it. A sealant or wax? Any suggestions are welcome.

Danny9447537
09-30-2015, 01:27 AM
Congratulations on your new car! It looks wicked sick!

I would honestly wrap the entire car with Xpel clear bra film but make sure you get it done by a professional. Very costly, but it's well worth it in the long run! Good luck!

Danny9447537
09-30-2015, 01:35 AM
I am having an XPel clear bra applied to my new 911 GTS and was wondering what to use on it. A sealant or wax? Any suggestions are welcome.

If you have the money try looking into opti-coat. I believe there are two different kinds of opti-coat, one that's available to the pubic and one that's only available through professional installers. If you get it professionally done then they provide a 5 year warranty on it.