PDA

View Full Version : New member needing help with deep scratches on black paint

europavin
08-21-2015, 09:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker on these boards and have learned so much about car and paint care from reading posts here. I pretty much come here exclusively for advice. I even slowly taught myself proper technique (or so I think) for using a DA with Mike's invaluable comprehensive guide (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html). Unfortunately, I am more attentive to every scratch and smudge now.

Anyway, I am writing today for some advice on how to remove some deep scratches on my trunk lid. Had a big block of snow fall off an awning on my roof this past winter and smash my back glass leaving shards everywhere (literally). The shards scratched up my rear deck pretty badly. I tried hitting it with some Menzerna FG400 on an LC yellow pad with a Griot's DA on 6. It made a little bit of a difference for the more superficial scratches, but the deeper ones are still there. I can kind of catch my fingernail on a few of the scratches.

I've attached a few photos - apologies for the poor quality phone pics. The car is also a little dirty since it just rained. Hopefully you can still make out some of the scratches.

Are there any other compounds that anyone suggests trying (Menzerna SC300, Megs M101)? Or is wet sanding/touch up paint the only option here? Would really appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you!

bry28956
08-21-2015, 09:25 AM
First off welcome to the forum!
If i recall correctly, if a scratch is deep enough to catch a fingernail, it most likely is through the clear and need a repaint/touch-up. Someone more experienced than I please correct me if I am wrong though.

Mike lambert
08-21-2015, 09:30 AM
That is usually the case, I would gently try 3000 paper an just try to improve the scratch. Then polish it, if you try to completely remove it you will remove too much clear whic opens up another problem