PDA

View Full Version : Why??? Car Freshener smell in a brand new car.

rocstu
08-21-2015, 01:46 AM
Dear Detailers, (hope you have the time to read my story)

Went to pick up my brand new Land Rover LR4 three days ago, and when I climb in to it full of excitement and ready to feel that superb smell of new leather and mats, I was instead greeted with a pungent smell of car freshener.

I turned around and asked the salesman "why?" - And, in surprise, he asked me if I didn't like it? - Anyway, long story short. The dealer applies Diamond-Brite to all new cars (which I don't have a problem with) but the Advertisement Tag they hang in the rearview mirror to indicate that the car has been Diamond-brit'd, is a powerful car freshener.

The car stayed with this tag on, windows closed and sitting at temperatures above 35 degrees for 3 weeks before I picked it up.

I noticed that there were other cars in the showroom with the tag, but they didn't smell. So... I asked the salesman to keep the car in the showroom with all windows open for four days. (I will pick up the car tomorrow)

So... you have the picture now.

I am writing this post in preparation for if, when the car comes back, still smelling of this (in my opinion) awful perfume.

So, in your opinion... what should I do?

By reading posts here and other detailing sites, it seems like Ozone treatment might be my best option, for treating an interior that is not dirty in any way... just has these awful perfume molecules deposited in all surfaces (I guess?)

I haven't found any detailer here in Muscat with an Ozone machine, but I still looking. I can buy one in the US and have it shipped here in a week.

I do have access to a hand-held steam cleaner, and have also a couple of fans I could keep running in the car over a few days. What do you think about lightly (or heavily) steaming the interior and leaving a fan running from the inside to the outside?

In principle I didn't want to go down the route of chemicals, shampoos and extractors, since this is a brand new car (but maybe that's a misconception?)

In summary, I would like to hear your opinions on what to do in this gobsmacking case.

Thanks!

Roc

vobro
08-21-2015, 01:56 AM
Seems like a lot of trouble for a new car! Why not decline this LR and get a different one? Never heard of this on a new car/SUV, one shouldn't be robbed of the new car smell

rocstu
08-21-2015, 02:45 AM
Yep. A lot of trouble indeed. The problem is that I already drove off the car from the showroom and I'm sure they will argue that.

On the other hand, these guys are the only LR dealer in the country, so no negotiation power on my side.

I'm sure they will do everything in their reach to get the smell off the car, but that's exactly what I don't want. Having the dealer start messing around with cleaning the car interior, chemicals, etc.

Bear in mind that, being this a developing market, the service standards, warranty issues, and general customer satisfaction ethos is improving but still is inconsistent.

And the last thing I want is to go down in a battle about changing or replacing a car with a dealer that has the brand monopoly.

This is why I'm willing to take the matters in my own hands and leave the dealer experience behind.

oldmodman
08-21-2015, 03:29 AM
I don't know where you are but almost every state has a period of time in which you can cancel a car sale.

Just tell the dealer that they have ruined the car for YOU and they can keep it. And when the new one that they will order for you arrives they must KEEP THEIR DAMN HANDS OFF OF IT!!!

rocstu
08-21-2015, 04:52 AM
Yep. It doesn't work like that here. If the car has previously been registered (which it has) then they cannot sell it as new.

So changing the car is not an avenue I can follow anymore. But thanks for the advice.

Any opinions on Ozone and/or Steaming?

Thanks!

LSNAutoDetailing
08-21-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi Rocstu, welcome to the forum!
Autogeek carries, CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying which is odorless
CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml. (http://www.autogeek.net/so2pure-air-purifier.html)

I suggest you try it. No sense in taking the car back, even if you did nothing, the smell would be gone over time as the chemicals breakdown naturally.

Ozone machine is a good, steam might help, but you'll have to steam everything, but odds are you'll miss something.

I think your best bet is CarPro So2Pure.

As a detailer I never spray new car scent in a car, I cannot stand the scent of disinfectants, etc. At my house I use a brand of cleaners that is all NON-Toxic and natural, so they smell nice, but diminish quickly while getting the job done.

For my customers I use all Pinnacle interior products which are PH Balanced and contain no harsh chemicals or leave unwanted scents. After using Pinnacle Leather Conditioner on a car with leather seats, it would be ludicrous to then spray something else, as the Pinnacle Conditioner oils makes the leather smell like natural leather.

Hope all this helps!