PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice/suggestions! (Nuba wax, products similar to D151..)

Clutch34
08-21-2015, 12:36 AM
So I want to polish my black 2011 G37S with a DA and some 1 step polish that will help me remove 70-90% of swirls/light scratches. It will be my daily driver (even in the winter, Utah) so I don't really need or want it to be show car status. I've heard good things about Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream but am only interested in its cutting properties, not protective. I have heard infiniti has pretty soft paint so I'm wondering if M205 would be a good product to use and get it LSP ready? What other products would you recommend that have a similar cut to D151 that would get me LSP ready?

I plan on placing WGDGS every 4-6 months and adding a layer of carnauba wax every 6-8 weeks (don't know which one yet). I'll strip all the protection and re-correct the paint every 6 months. I'm hoping to get a Meguiars MT300 in a month or 2, but I'm still debating between that and the GG6.

Sorry, I know that was a lot of info and some of it may be me just rambling on -- it's late.. Thanks

haris300
08-21-2015, 12:50 AM
M205 is actually rated at a lower cut than D151 on this polish chart (http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/181138-updated-5-2015-autopia-polish-comparison-chart.html)

I like Menzerna PF2500. Pretty close to D151 on that chart and finishes nicely. Great all around polish with good pad choice flexibility.

Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant is a pretty good refresher for the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0. Not sure on how the solvents present in various carnauba waxes will affect a previously applied sealant. It does say on the Autogeek website (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-deep-gloss-spritz-sealant.html) that Wolfgang Fusion, which has carnauba present, can be used in conjunction with the Spritz Sealant. Maybe someone else can chime in on using other waxes.

ski2
08-21-2015, 06:55 AM
HD Speed (AIO) topped with HD Poxy 12 hours later and then hit with HD Express gloss booster looks fantastic on my wife's black Golf. Speed has great cut with the right pad and if you put on another coat of the Express (only takes about 15 minutes) every few weeks you'll be good to go for at least 6 months. Or add another coat of Poxy anytime you like as it's really easy to apply and remove--12 drops is usually enough to put a THIN layer on the average sized car.

Clutch34
08-22-2015, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the HD products and have some more questions. For the HD Speed, do I have to remove the AIO protectant layer before putting on Poxy? Same question, but once I've sprayed on the Express, does that need to be removed before adding more Poxy? What pads would you recommend to get enough cut to remove moderate swirls on soft paint? Can I use a softer polishing pad with Speed to get it LSP ready?

And thanks for the Menzerna recommendation Haris! It's still on my radar as well!

ski2
08-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the HD products and have some more questions. For the HD Speed, do I have to remove the AIO protectant layer before putting on Poxy? Same question, but once I've sprayed on the Express, does that need to be removed before adding more Poxy? What pads would you recommend to get enough cut to remove moderate swirls on soft paint? Can I use a softer polishing pad with Speed to get it LSP ready?

And thanks for the Menzerna recommendation Haris! It's still on my radar as well!

HD Speed contains Poxy so no need to remove before applying the Poxy (just buff the Speed off after polishing) then add your Poxy. Also, no issues with adding Poxy after Express--all HD products are compatable with each other.

You'll just have to do a couple of test spots with HD Speed and different pads to get the results you want. You can use any pad with the Speed. I use HD Speed on hard VW paint with an orange B&S pad to remove wash induced marring and it works fine but you may or may not need as much cut depending on your paint, type of marring etc.

Clutch34
08-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Cool, thanks for the help. And I understand the best way to know if it works to my liking is a test spot, but the bad part about that is that I'm not a professional detailer and will only be keeping up with our personal cars. So if I don't like the product I'm kind of stuck with it. That's why I'm trying to do as much research on a product as I can before ordering it.

Chris Thomas
08-23-2015, 12:25 PM
If you have the opportunity to try Optimum GPS (glaze, polish, and seal) you should. It has diminishing abrasives so it's easy to finish nice, carnauba for a nice glow, and chemical cleaners to detox the paint.